Gymnast Aly Raisman Wins Gold in Floor Exercise
Karen Rosen, USOC
Aly Raisman's day just kept getting better.
Before she became the first U.S. gymnast in history to win a gold medal on floor exercise, Raisman took the bronze on balance beam after an appeal of her score and then a tiebreaker went her way.
Six days earlier, Raisman was dispirited when she lost a tiebreaker for the all-around bronze.
"It definitely felt like redemption in that I was in the same exact position," she said. "This time it worked in my favor."
"Justice was made and certainly psychologically it was a great moment for Aly," added National Team Coordinator Martha Karolyi. "I told her I see these fantastic sparkling eyes again and I was sure that she will do a good job on floor."
Somewhat overshadowed in the lead up to the Games by teammates Gabby Douglas and Jordyn Wieber, the 18-year-old is going home to Needham, Mass., as the most decorated American gymnast in London. She also won gold in the team event with Douglas, McKayla Maroney, Kyla Ross and Wieber.
Douglas and Wieber did not fare as well Tuesday (Aug. 7), with Douglas placing seventh on balance beam after a fall and Wieber seventh on floor exercise.
On the men's side, Danell Leyva was fifth on horizontal bar, followed by Jonathan Horton, the 2008 silver medalist, in sixth place.
Raisman said that when the beam final scores flashed, "All I could think about was I was fourth again," she said. "I've been fourth a million times. It's definitely bittersweet being in fourth. You're excited that you're fourth in the world but you just missed being on the podium."
Mihai Brestyan, Raisman's coach, put in an inquiry, but only after Karolyi and her husband, Bela Karolyi, yelled to him to do it, Raisman said.
A video review by a panel of judges gave Raisman a higher score for difficulty -- which in the former scoring system was called the start value -- and her score was 15.066, one-tenth of a point higher than the original score.
She was then tied with Catalina Ponor, the 2004 gold medalist on beam from Romania. Raisman got the nod because of a higher execution score.
Douglas, who made history as the first African-American all-around champion, wasn't so lucky. She said she rushed and lost her footing on a turn. Although she grabbed the beam, flipping under it, Douglas couldn't save herself from a fall and scored 13.633.
"Even though I had a very bad ending of the chapter, the beginning was very strong," said Douglas, who was eighth on uneven bars Monday. "Mentally and physically I was kind of tired, but overall, it's very good. I'm going home with two Olympic gold medals, so I'm very happy. I put my all into it."
She added that everyone makes mistakes and she was happy she hit her routines when they most counted -- in the team and all-around events. "You don't lose; you just technically have a bad day," Douglas said. "So we're definitely not losers, we're like superheroes, we do tricks like no one can do. Obviously it wasn't my day to shine."
It was Raisman's.
"It was the best routine I've ever done," she said, "so I'm so happy that it could be here at the Olympic Games in floor finals."
Aly Raisman floors the competition
She performed to "Hava Nagila" as both U.S. and Israeli flags waved. "I wanted something that the crowd could clap to," Raisman said. "I felt like I had nothing to lose, I already had achieved one of my goals. It was going to be my last memory from London and I just wanted to make it count. I was really calm. I could hear everyone else cheering. Normally I block everything out, but I just wanted to stay in the moment."
As the third of eight performers, Raisman scored 15.600 -- improving from her score of 15.300 to lead the qualifying - and knew it was good enough for a medal. She just had to wait to find out which one.
"Of course I was nervous," Raisman said. "I wanted them all to do well, too, because it makes it that much better if everyone does well and you still come out on top."
As soon as Sandra Izbasa of Romania, the 2008 Olympic champion on floor, fell near the end of her routine, photographers turned away from the mat and swarmed around Raisman.
Ponor, the 2004 Olympic floor champion who had earlier lost the bronze on beam to Raisman, won the silver, scoring 15.200.
Wieber struggled on floor, stepping out of bounds and scoring 14.500. Her coach, John Geddert, said after the competition that the 2011 world champion has had pain in her right leg since mid-July and might have a stress fracture.
"I knew that it was going to have to take a lot of details in the routine with all the landings," Wieber said. "I did step out of bounds, and I knew at that point that it wouldn't be enough. I tried to still fight through and finish the routine strong."
While Wieber's Olympics did not go as she had hoped, for her best friend Raisman, "It definitely went better than I thought it would so I'm really happy," she said. "It's sad that the Olympics are over, because you think about it so long. It definitely went by very quick so it's crazy that it's over."
Gymnastics London Recap
2012 London Olympics - videos
- London Throws World's Biggest Party at Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Closing Ceremony Nets Big Ratings for NBC
- Record-Breaking Olympic Games for Team USA
- The Moments That Defined Team USA
- Team USA: The Women's Games
- Team USA Men's Basketball: Defending Champs
- USA Battles Spain for 107-100 Win to Capture Olympic Gold Medal
- Russian Sergey Kirdyapkin Wins Grueling Olympic 50km Walk Gold
- Team USA Wraps Up Impressive London 2012 Games in Track and Field
- American Keflezighi Fourth in Men's Olympic Marathon
- Russia Wins Gold; Brazil and Italy Get Silver and Bronze
- Russia Comes From Behind to Beat Brazil for Men's Volleyball Gold
- Russian Dmitriy Muserskiy Sets Scoring Record on Way to Gold Medal
- Zaytsev Hopes Bronze will Take Italy Back to Top of Men's Volleyball World
- Italy Claims Men's Volleyball Bronze Medal vs Bulgaria
- Jake Varner Wins Freestyle Wrestling Olympic Gold Medal
- Destinee Hooker Named Best Spiker at Olympic Games
- Team USA Women's Hoops: Olympic Reign
- Krzyzewski's Team USA Goes for Gold
- Team USA Adds 1 Gold, 2 Silver as Medals Count Surges to 29
- David Boudia Wins Gold in Men's 10-Meter Platform Diving
- Footballers Give Mexico First-Ever Olympic Gold; Top Brazil in Final
- USA Women Capture Historic 5th-Straight Gold Medal with Win Over France
- Harrower Leads Australia to Bronze in Women's Basketball
- USA Women Take Silver After Loss to Brazil in Volleyball Final
- Brazil Stuns USA for Women's Volleyball Gold
- Japan Claims Women's Volleyball Bronze
- 2012 Olympic Games Women's Volleyball Results
- USA Men Shoot Down Argentina 109-83; Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Jordan Burroughs Delivers Wrestling Gold
- Usain Bolt - Carl Lewis Spat Erupts
- Destinee Hooker: Team USA Volleyball's Not-So-Secret Weapon
- Women's 4x100 Meters Relay: World-Record Pace
- Usain Bolt Makes History with Golden Double
- Women Break 4x100 WR; Men Win 4x400 Silver
- Pau Gasol Leads Spain Past Russia, Into Gold Medal Game
- Women's Volleyball Medal Round Preview: USA vs Brazil; Korea vs Japan
- Women's Volleyball Preview: USA vs Brazil Gold Medal Match
- Russia And Brazil to Clash in Men's Olympic Volleyball Final
- Brazil's World-Class Volleyball Outclasses Italy -- Advance to Olympic Final
- Russia Advances to Men's Volleyball Gold Medal Match
- Team USA Prepares for Olympic Track Relays
- Pistorius Pleased as South Africa Wins Appeal to Compete in 4x400M Relay Final
- Hungary's Eva Risztov Wins Grueling 10km Open Water Race
- Photo Finish
- Britain's Nicola Adams First Woman Boxer to Clinch Gold at Olympics
- Claressa Shields Makes History, Lands Lone Boxing Gold for USA
- Probe Opened into German Rower After Boyfriend Ejected from Games
- USA Women's Soccer: Redemption
- Team USA's Double 1-2 Punch
- Usain Bolt Retains 200 Meter Crown
- Team USA Men Finish 1-2 in Decathlon and Triple Jump
- Manteo Mitchell Breaks Leg During Relay Race, Finishes for Team
- USA Women Defeat Japan to Bag Soccer Gold Medal
- USA Women Defeat Spain 8-5 for First-ever Water Polo Gold
- USA Women Rally Past Australia Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Bulgaria and Italy Have to Turn Odds in Men's Volleyball Semifinals
- Brazil and USA to Fight Once Again for Women's Volleyball Olympic Gold
- Brazil Dominates Japan: Advances to Women's Volleybal Olympic Finals
- Brazil's Women's Volleyball Coach: 'We Deserve This'
- USA Women Advance to Volleyball Final after Routing Korea in Straight Sets
- Brink and Reckermann Win Men's Beach Volleyball Gold in Thriller
- Latvian Pair Beat Dutch Duo for Men's Beach Volleyball Bronze
- Smooth Morning of Qualifying; Team USA Still Leading Decathlon
- LeBron James Triple-Double Powers USA to Semis
- Kirilenko Stars as Russia Advances to Semifinals
- Women's Final Four Top Beach Volleyball Stats at London 2012 Olympic Games
- Women's Beach Volleyball Three-Peat
- Team USA has Momentous, 7-Medal Night at the Track
- Walsh and May-Treanor Win Third Olympic Gold in Women's Beach Volleyball
- Brazil's Juliana and Larissa Fight Back to Win Bronze in Women's Beach Volleyball
- USA Men Halted by Croatia 8-2 in Water Polo Quarterfinals
- Brazil, Italy, Russia and Bulgaria Advance to Men's Volleyball Semis
- USA Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Italy in Quarterfinals
- Women's Volleyball Semifinal Preview: USA versus Korea
- USA Men 1-2 in Decathlon after Morning Session
- Shock as China's Liu Xiang Crashes out of 110m Hurdles
- Security Alert in Britain After Seven Cameroonian Athletes Disappear
- Track and Field: Four-medal Night for Team USA
- Kessy and Ross Advance to Gold Medal Beach Volleyball Match
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh to Play for Gold Again
- Gymnast Aly Raisman Wins Gold in Floor Exercise
- USA Women's Volleyball Team Advances to 4th Straight Olympic Semifinal
- Anthony Davis: Learning Experience
- Defense Stars for USA Women in 91-48 Rout of Canada
- Becky Hammon's Clutch Play Helps Russia Top Turkey
- Melo on Groin Hit by Argentina Player: It was 'Cheap Shot'
- Water Polo: USA Women to Play for Gold
- Jenn Suhr Wins Emotional Gold
- A Suhr Gold
- Team USA Knocks Off Argentina 126-97, Advances to Quarterfinals as Top Seed
- Olympic Beach Volleyball: Gibb and Rosenthal Finish in Fifth
- Man Nabbed For Bottle Toss on Olympic Track Just Before 100M
- Kenya's Kemboi's 'Trial By Fire' Earns Gold in 3000m Steeplechase
- Gold For Italian Campriani in Rifle; Heartbreak For USA's Emmons
- Morgan Lifts US Women's Soccer Team Past Canada, Into Finals
- American Judoka Disqualified for Marijuana Use
- Great Britain Crushes China, Nets First Olympic Basketball Win
- Lin Dan Defends Badminton Crown as China Sweeps Olympic Event
- Andy Murray a Hero After Toppling Federer in Olympic Tennis Final
- Michael Phelps Caps Career with 4x100M Medley Relay Triumph
- Jessica Ennis Brings Joy to Home Fans with Heptathlon Win
- Usain Bolt Eyes Tryout with Manchester United
- Usain Bolt Wins 2nd Consecutive Olympic 100 Gold
- Men's 100-Meters: Race for the Ages
- Sanya Richards-Ross Finally Wins Elusive 400-meter Gold
- Williams Sisters Do It Again: Win Women's Tennis Doubles Gold
- USA Women Top Italy 9-6; Advance to Water Polo Semifinals
- U.S. Women's Volleyball Team Finishes Pool Play Undefeated
- May-Treanor and Walsh Overwhelm Italy to Advance to Semi-Finals
- Kessy and Ross Make it to Olympic Beach Volleyball Semifinals
- Ben Ainslie Tops Finn Event, Becomes Most Decorated Sailor in History
- Gymnast McKayla Maroney Settles for Silver in Vault
- Andy Murray Beats Federer to Capture Olympic Gold
- Top Aussie Coach Comes Out in Embattled Ye Shiwen's Defense
- Tirunesh Dibaba Retains 10,000-Meter Gold in Grand Style
- Bolt and Blake Cruise into 100M Semis; 'Blade-Runner' Stars in 400M
- End of an Era: Michael Phelps Goes Out a Champ
- Serena Williams Achieves Golden Slam
- Gibb and Rosenthal Chart Win over Russia in Men's Beach Volleyball
- May-Treanor and Walsh Continue to Dominate in Women's Beach Volleyball
- The Social Media Games
- London 2012 Olympics Week 1 Recap
- Galen Rupp Wins Historic Silver in Men's 10,000 Meters
- Team USA Blazes Through 100-Meter Sprint Heats
- USA Men Suffer First Water Polo Setback with 11-6 Loss to Serbia
- United States Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Russia
- LeBron James Helps Rally USA Men to 99-94 Victory Over Lithuania
- United States Overwhelms Czech Republic in Women's Basketball
- American Olympic Boxer's Loss Overturned
- Leuris Pupo Brings Cheers to Medal-Starved Cuba
- United States Women Pursue Soccer Gold After Crushing New Zealand
- Brits Strike It Rich in Olympic Cycling After Opening-Day Blunder
- American Swimmers Roll On
- Golden Run Continues: Michael Phelps Swells Medals Tally to 21
- Federer Escapes del Potro, Advances to Olympic Final vs Murray
- Michael Phelps: Triple Golds in the Pool
- Gabby Douglas: America's Newest Sweetheart
- Guor Marial Once Ran For His Life; Now He's Running For Gold
- Lithuanian Spectator Arrested for Nazi Salute
- Sharapova and Serena Battle for Olympic Tennis Gold
- Brazil's Yane Marques Carrying a Dream of a Nation
- Team USA Basketballers Draw Praise from Dream Team
- USA Sets All-Time Olympic Scoring Record in Blowout of Nigeria
- Team USA vs Nigeria Post-Game Quotes
- Team USA vs Nigeria Box Score
- Spain Survives Great Britain in Men's Basketball
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Men Upset Brazil
- Gabby Douglas Captures All-Around Event Gymnastics Gold
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Win in 3
- Gibb and Rosenthal Win Fast, Win Pool
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Women Trim China to Stay Undefeated
- Michael Phelps Eclipses Overall Medal Count Record
- Federer and Wawrinka Stunned in Olympic Doubles
- Badminton Fixing Scandal Breaks Out at Olympics
- Wiggins Clinches Time Trial Gold
- France Trips Canada - Books Trip to Women's Basketball Quarterfinals
- Tancredi Scores Twice as Canada Moves on With Draw Against Sweden
- Army Sergeant Hancock Shoots Down Skeet Gold for Second Time
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com