The Best SUV Brands
by Sean Jackson
For many, SUVs have replaced minivans as the vehicle of choice for family and group caravans. With sleeker profiles and increased efficiency, the modern SUV delivers countless benefits.
To find the top SUV brands, the experts at AxleGeeks, part of the Graphiq network, created a SUV-specific Quant Rating using data from Edmunds. By integrating horsepower, torque, towing capacity, payload capacity, cargo capacity (with all seats folded) and combined gas mileage, AxleGeeks ranked the brands from best to worst. In our calculations, ties were broken based on the brand's average towing capacity.
Volkswagen, Buick and Volvo fall to the bottom of the list for either a lack of fuel efficiency, horsepower or towing capacity.
Volkswagen's line of SUVs touts impressive capability, as both models boast better towing capacity compared to Buick and Volvo. However, its models deliver less fuel efficiency than their competitors' average, which is increasingly important for consumers.
Buick scores well thanks to the performance of its Enclave model, where it exceeds its competition's averages in horsepower, cargo and towing capacity. Meanwhile, Buick's models fall short in key areas: The Encore offers a 30 percent less horsepower, while the Enclave has 26 percent less cargo space relative to comparable models.
Volvo's 2016 SUV lineup delivers better fuel efficiency and has more cargo capacity than its competition. However, Volvo's mere 3,500 pounds of towing capacity, a fall from its competition, lowering the brand's overall score.
The top 3 SUV brands, all of which boast above-average storage space and enviable towing capacity, are GMC, Tesla and Cadillac.
GMC provides spacious and powerful models. The 2016 GMC Yukon XL, for example, offers 106 percent more cargo space than its 2016 full-size SUV/crossover competitors. Its models also have better towing capacity than Lincoln, Dodge and Buick.
Tesla's Model X offers breathtaking performance, exceptional styling and the best-in-class interior storage, with 77 cubic feet in its six-passenger model, making it an enticing buy for those who can afford it.
Cadillac earned the distinction as the best SUV brand because it tows the most per average, surpassing the towing capabilities of GMC, Mercedes-Benz and Land Rover. Moreover, the 2016 Cadillac SRX boasts above-average horsepower and cargo capacity, adding further credence to Cadillac's appeal.
Here's a complete listing of the best SUV brands:
- Super Luxury Car Sales Are Booming
- The Best-Selling Sports Cars
- How Tesla Out-Innovates
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations in the United States
- U.S. Car Sales Beat All Expectations
- Uber Valued Above General Motors
- The 10 Most Affordable Luxury Cars
- The 10 Most Affordable Luxury Cars
- The 10 Most Fuel-Efficient SUVs
- Ford F-150 and Chevy Corvette Among Longest Produced American Cars
- Largest Auto Recalls of 2016
- The Best Cars for Dog Owners
- Convertibles with Advanced Safety Features
- Electric Cars With the Best Range
- Ford and Ram Among the Best Truck Brands
- The Best Cars for Summer Family Road Trips
- States With the Most Dangerous Drivers
- States With the Safest Drivers
- The Fastest Cars Money Can Buy
- Best Cars for Soccer Moms
- The Best SUV Brands
- Most Loved Cars
- The Most Fuel Efficient Cars
- Cost Of a Car Since 1967
- Cost of Car Insurance By State
- Car Manufacturers With the Fewest Vehicles Recalled
- Car Manufacturers With the Most Vehicles Recalled
- Best Cars for Teen Drivers
- The World's Most Expensive SUV
- World's First Printed Car
- 3D-Printed Car Being Built
- Driverless Cars Gear Up for the Future
- 2016 Buick Cascada Preview
- Volvo Aims to Sell Cars Like Tesla
- Top Five Themes From the Detroit Auto Show
- 2016 BMW 6 Series Preview
- 2016 Toyota Tacoma Preview
- 2016 Audi Q7 Preview
- 2016 Acura NSX Preview
- Will the 2nd Generation Chevy Volt Catch On?
- Infiniti Unveils New, Sculpted Q60
- The New Ford GT: Alluring, Powerful, Efficient
Article: Courtesy AxleGeeks.com.
"The Best SUV Brands"