David Price Agrees to One-Year Deal with Rays, Avoids Arbitration
St. Petersburg, FL
American League Cy Young winner David Price has avoided salary arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract with the Tampa Bay Rays, according to a baseball source.
The deal is worth just above $10 million, more than double what Price earned last season, the source said.
Price, who will be eligible for free agency after 2015, made $4.35 million last season and was arbitration-eligible for a second time due to his "Super Two" classification.
The 27-year-old Price went 20-5 last season, with a league-leading 2.56 ERA, to beat Justin Verlander of the Detroit Tigers for the AL Cy Young Award.
In his five years with the Rays, Price has a 61-31 record with a 3.16 ERA. He has made three straight All-Star teams.
Players who have at least three years, but fewer than six, of Major League service time, are eligible to file for arbitration.
However, players in the top 17 percent, based on service time, with at least two but fewer than three years of service are eligible for arbitration under "Super Two" status, like Price.
According to the rules, a player must have at least 86 days of service in the immediately preceding season to qualify for this status.
Typically, the cut-off for the top 17 percent has been around two years, 130 days of total service, though the days fluctuate from year to year.
- A's Sign Manager Bob Melvin to Two-Year Extension
- Mets Conduct Private Workout for Closer Brian Wilson
- 10 Pleasant Surprises for the Mets in 2012
- Craig Biggio Optimistic About Future MLB Hall of Fame Call
- Baseball Hall Of Fame Voting Ends in Futility as Stars All Shut Out
- MLB to Start In-Season Random HGH Testing for Players
- D-Backs Outfielder Justin Upton Blocks Trade to Mariners
- Indians Give Starting Pitcher Trevor Bauer a Fresh Start
- Adam Laroche Agrees to Two-Year, $24M Deal with Nationals
- Yankees Closer Mariano Rivera to Begin Throwing Session Next Week
- Pitcher Brett Myers Signs One-year Deal with Indians
- David Price Agrees to One-Year Deal with Rays, Avoids Arbitration
- Royals Sign ex-AL MVP Miguel Tejada to Minor League Deal
- Ex-Yankees Outfielder Hideki Matsui Retires
- Nick Swisher Agrees to Four-Year Pact with Tribe
- Pirates Ink Pitcher Nelson Liriano to Two-Year, $14M Deal
- Cubs Ink Hurlers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva
- Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
- Mariners Trade Jason Vargas to Angels for Kendrys Morales
- Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
- Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
- R.A. Dickey Agrees to Contract Extension with Blue Jays
- Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved