Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
The Minnesota Twins have signed right-hander Mike Pelfrey to a one-year deal with a base salary of $4 million and incentives that could reach another $1.5 million, hoping that he could provide boost to their rotation.
The source said the deal is pending a physical.
The 28-year-old Pelfrey started three games for the New York Mets during the 2012 season before undergoing Tommy John surgery on May 1 that cost him the remainder of the season.
Last month, the Mets had non-tendered Pelfrey after earning $5.7 million last year.
Pelfrey recently expressed confidence that he would be ready for normal workload during spring training despite the fact that one year is needed to recover from ligament-replacement surgery.
The pitcher has already been facing batters at his former college program, Wichita State University.
"I'm on track for Jan. 15. So everything is going well," Pelfrey said. "Tim Hudson came back in seven months (from Tommy John surgery). Joba Chamberlain last year came back in eight before he broke his ankle. And I'll be about eight and a half or so. I'll definitely be ready when spring training rolls around."
A 2005 first-round pick, Pelfrey went 50-54 with a 4.36 ERA in 153 appearances (149 starts) during seven seasons with the Mets.
- Nick Swisher Agrees to Four-Year Pact with Tribe
- Pirates Ink Pitcher Nelson Liriano to Two-Year, $14M Deal
- Cubs Ink Hurlers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva
- Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
- Mariners Trade Jason Vargas to Angels for Kendrys Morales
- Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
- Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
- R.A. Dickey Agrees to Contract Extension with Blue Jays
- Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
- Mets Looking to Trade Pitcher R.A. Dickey to Blue Jays
- Ichiro Agrees to 'Smaller' $13M Deal with Yankees
- Tigers and Anibal Sanchez Agree to Five-Year Deal
- Angels Sign Josh Hamilton to Five-Year, $125M Pact
- Yankees Closer Mo Rivera Says He'll Be Ready for Opening Day
- Indians Send Choo to Reds, Get Bauer from D-backs
- Yankees Sign Kevin Youkilis; Ichiro Expected to Re-Sign
- R.A. Dickey to Turn Free Agent If Mets Don't Sign Him to Extension
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved