Cardinals Hitting Coach Mark McGwire to Take Dodgers Post
Los Angeles, CA
Hitting coach Mark McGwire is set to leave the St. Louis Cardinals for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Negotiations are currently underway, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
The newspaper added that McGwire has informed the Cardinals that he will not renew his contract.
McGwire is to replace Dave Hansen, the Dodgers' fourth hitting coach since 2008, who was fired last month. The Dodgers finished 13th in both runs and on-base percentage last year.
Among the ex-hitting coaches who served at that period is Dodgers current manager, Don Mattingly. The Cardinals have had one of the National League's best offenses under McGwire.
In his three seasons in St. Louis, the Cardinals have led the NL in batting average (.269) and on-base percentage (.337) and ranked second in runs (2,263) and fourth in slugging percentage (.416).
Many have credited McGwire for the emergence of young hitters such as Allen Craig, David Freese and Matt Carpenter.
The former home run champion lives in Orange County, about 40 miles south of Dodger Stadium.
- Yankees Closer Mariano Rivera to Return Next Season
- A's Sign Suspended Pitcher Bartolo Colon to One-Year Deal
- Cardinals Hitting Coach Mark McGwire to Take Dodgers Post
- Red Sox Sign Slugger David Ortiz to Two-Year, $26-Million Deal
- White Sox Ink Peavy to Two-Year Extension, Exercise Option on Floyd
- Peavy and Hellickson Lead Seven Other First-Time Gold Glove Winners
- Jim Leyland to Return as Tigers Manager in 2013
- Giants Sweep Tigers to Capture World Series Title
- Botchy Presents World Series Trophy to Team
- As Always, Pitching Wins Championships
- Sandoval: When your back is against the wall, that's when it's the most fun
- Matt Cain: 'It just seemed like all the pieces fit together'
- Brian Wilson: 'Couldn't Have Written Up a Better Script'
- Bruce Bochy: 'I couldn't be prouder of these guys'
- Huge Crowds of Giants Fans Fill San Francisco Streets
- Ryan Vogelsong Moves Giants Closer To Sweep, World Series Title
- Yankees Expect Sabathia to be Ready for Spring Training after Surgery
- Yankees Closer Mariano Rivera Ponders Retirement
- New Challenges Await Rick Hahn as New White Sox GM
- Madison Bumgarner Pitches Giants to 2-0 World Series Lead
- True Baseball and a Little Luck Keep Giants Rolling
- World Series Game 2 Recap
- Bumgarner: 'We've got to keep pushing'
- Bruce Bochy: 'We wish we could do thing easier'
- Posey: 'We take a lot of pride in our pitching and defense'
- Blanco on Bunt Single: 'Best at-bat of my career'
- Hunter Pence: 'Bumgarner set the tone for us'
- Prince Fielder: 'They made two perfect throws; nothing you can do'
- Sandoval Hits Three Homers, Giants Top Tigers in World Series Opener
- Sandoval: 'I still can't believe I did it'
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved