Book Review: A Selection of Great World War I Books
by Chatham House
The Cambridge historian argues that responsibility for the outbreak of war was so widely distributed that searching for blame is unhelpful.
Europe's meltdown from 1870 to 1914 told with verve and arresting character sketches.
Hastings takes a typically robust approach: Germany in 1914, with its militaristic generals, represented a malign force whose triumph had to be resisted by all means.
A tour of the pre-war world that was globalized, inter-dependent and full of intellectual and technical innovation.
The TV presenter chronicles a conflict which brought an imperial power close to bankruptcy and produced a society more recognizably like our own today.
Classic 1969 study, now re-issued as an eBook, from a historian who insisted on the role of contingency in great events.
A classic for its portrayal of the impact of WWI on the lives of women, describing the author's work as a nurse in London, Malta and France.
A first-person account of US lieutenant in the ambulance corps of the Italian Army. Bleak stuff.
Comic exploration of the futility of participating in a war which many of its characters do not understand, on behalf of a country -- Austria-Hungary -- to which they have no loyalty.
Description of some of the fiercest fighting of the war, in the Alps between the Italian army and the forces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
A novel of the lives and fears of the pilots of the early biplanes.
Erich M. Remarque
German soldiers' extreme physical and mental stress during the war, and the detachment from civilian life they felt on returning home.
- Get Lost in a Good Book: Spring / Summer Reading List
- 'The Grapes of Wrath' Resonates 75 Years Later
- Arianna Huffington: Getting Satisfaction
- New Books: Spotlight on the Middle East
- The Myth of the Strong Leader
- Steve Biko: Father of Black Consciousness
- A Selection of World War I Books
- West Africa Reading List
- Patricia Wells' 'French Kitchen Cookbook'
- Dick, Ike and Ted
- Crime Writing in Translation
- Euro Crime Writers
- The Rich Life or the Good Life?
- Unfair Obama Bashing - The Dispensable Nation: American Foreign Policy in Retreat
- Reading List on Pakistan
- Iran's Nuclear Fallout
- Reading List: Ideas that Nudged Governments
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency.
"Book Review: A Selection of Great World War I Books "