Alcohol & Sport: A Match Made In Heaven
By Niall McCarthy
The percentage of Americans consuming alcohol while watching sports on television or live.
If you're an American and you're watching sports, chances are you probably have a beer in your hand. A new survey from the Harris Poll suggests that alcohol and sport are indelibly intertwined.
People who watch sport live in the stadium or at home on television are highly likely to enjoy the action with some form of alcoholic beverage. Interestingly, some sports involve higher levels of consumption than others. People attending live sports are also highly likely to hit the bar, no matter what sporting event they attend.
Interestingly, some sports go hand-in-hand with alcohol more than others. American football is the premier U.S. sport for drinking with 84 percent consuming alcohol while watching it on television and 83 percent enjoying it at the stadium. Boxing is the second most popular sport for a round of drinks, whether you're watching at home or ringside. 78 percent of people tend to watch a hockey game on television with some form of alcoholic beverage and it rounds off the top three.
Even though it's less common to order a beer at a tennis game, many people do it anyway. 75 percent of U.S. adults say they prefer to drink alcohol during a live tennis game while 76 percent quench their thirst for beer watching a live round of golf.
- Number of Bitcoin ATMs by Country
- AT&T Unveils New TV Streaming Service
- Alcohol & Sport: A Match Made In Heaven
- Plenty of Dough in Online Food Delivery
- Most Holiday Shopping Happens In December
- How Holiday Shoppers Decide Where to Buy
- E-Commerce Spending in Perspective
- Taxi Driver Earnings Compared To Uber
- Apple's First Annual Sales Decline in 15 Years
- How Apple's New Products Measure Up
- Bigger AT&T Is the Last Thing We Need
- Wells Fargo is Rotting from the Top Down
- The Stumpf Banking System
- Female CEOs Earn Much Less Than Their Male Counterparts
- The Highest-Paid CEOs
- The Most Valuable Public Company in Every State
- Is Tim Cook's Apple Past Its Peak?
- Companies That Might Disappear in 2017
- More Chobani Capitalism, Please
- Better Labels, Better Food
- The Big Banks Can Be Beaten
- Putting Free Speech Out to Pasture
- The 50 Best Investments
- China Closes the Innovation Gap
- Companies Stockpiling the Most Profit Overseas
- Oil's Downfall Aided by Rise of Fracking
- The Richest Banks
- Crime Can Pay if It's Big Enough
- The Good Food Movement Needs Science, Too
- How Buffett Became a Billionaire
- The Most Successful Companies Founded Since 1944
- Big Pharma Killed Medicine
- Corporate Power Doesn't Always Win
- Wall Street Should Pay a Sales Tax, Too
"Alcohol & Sport: A Match Made In Heaven"