E-Commerce Spending in Perspective
By Niall McCarthy
Online e-commerce keeps getting bigger and bigger for U.S. shoppers and retailers alike. Here's a look at the growth of e-commerce since 2008
The Thanksgiving weekend keeps getting bigger and bigger for U.S. shoppers and retailers alike.
According to comScore, Cyber Monday saw about $355 million in e-commerce sales in 2008. Since then, the online shopping splurge has skyrocketed with sales from desktop users hitting $2.28 billion last year.
Black Friday and Thanksgiving itself have also experienced impressive growth in e-commerce sales since 2008, reaching $1.66 and $1.1 billion in 2015 respectively. While this is considerably less than what consumers spend online on Cyber Monday, it still outstrips e-commerce sales on an average day by a healthy margin.
The chart above shows Thanksgiving weekend e-commerce sales compared to average daily sales in the U.S.
- Number of Bitcoin ATMs by Country
- AT&T Unveils New TV Streaming Service
- Alcohol & Sport: A Match Made In Heaven
- Plenty of Dough in Online Food Delivery
- Most Holiday Shopping Happens In December
- How Holiday Shoppers Decide Where to Buy
- E-Commerce Spending in Perspective
- Taxi Driver Earnings Compared To Uber
- Apple's First Annual Sales Decline in 15 Years
- How Apple's New Products Measure Up
- Bigger AT&T Is the Last Thing We Need
- Wells Fargo is Rotting from the Top Down
- The Stumpf Banking System
- Female CEOs Earn Much Less Than Their Male Counterparts
- The Highest-Paid CEOs
- The Most Valuable Public Company in Every State
- Is Tim Cook's Apple Past Its Peak?
- Companies That Might Disappear in 2017
- More Chobani Capitalism, Please
- Better Labels, Better Food
- The Big Banks Can Be Beaten
- Putting Free Speech Out to Pasture
- The 50 Best Investments
- China Closes the Innovation Gap
- Companies Stockpiling the Most Profit Overseas
- Oil's Downfall Aided by Rise of Fracking
- The Richest Banks
- Crime Can Pay if It's Big Enough
- The Good Food Movement Needs Science, Too
- How Buffett Became a Billionaire
- The Most Successful Companies Founded Since 1944
- Big Pharma Killed Medicine
- Corporate Power Doesn't Always Win
- Wall Street Should Pay a Sales Tax, Too
"E-Commerce Spending in Perspective"