Most Holiday Shopping Happens In December
By Niall McCarthy
These days, shopping splurges and Thanksgiving feasts go hand in hand for the vast majority of Americans. Interestingly, however, the majority of holiday shopping still happens in December.
These days, shopping splurges and Thanksgiving feasts go hand in hand for the vast majority of Americans.
As soon as they finish digesting their Thanksgiving feasts, many Americans will head out for a mammoth shopping splurge. According to the National Retail Federation, an estimated 137.4 million people are planning or considering shopping during this year's Thanksgiving weekend. The splurge reaches its zenith on Black Friday, the busiest shopping day of the year, when Americans spend billions getting a head start on their holiday shopping.
Interestingly, however, the majority of holiday shopping still happens in December. A Deloitte survey recently revealed that only nine percent of Americans plan to do the majority of their holiday shopping on Black Friday with 40 percent preferring to purchase the bulk of their gifts in December. Three percent of people prefer to take advantage of the post-Christmas sales and do the bulk of their shopping in the post-Christmas sales in January.
- Number of Bitcoin ATMs by Country
- AT&T Unveils New TV Streaming Service
- Alcohol & Sport: A Match Made In Heaven
- Plenty of Dough in Online Food Delivery
- Most Holiday Shopping Happens In December
- How Holiday Shoppers Decide Where to Buy
- E-Commerce Spending in Perspective
- Taxi Driver Earnings Compared To Uber
- Apple's First Annual Sales Decline in 15 Years
- How Apple's New Products Measure Up
- Bigger AT&T Is the Last Thing We Need
- Wells Fargo is Rotting from the Top Down
- The Stumpf Banking System
- Female CEOs Earn Much Less Than Their Male Counterparts
- The Highest-Paid CEOs
- The Most Valuable Public Company in Every State
- Is Tim Cook's Apple Past Its Peak?
- Companies That Might Disappear in 2017
- More Chobani Capitalism, Please
- Better Labels, Better Food
- The Big Banks Can Be Beaten
- Putting Free Speech Out to Pasture
- The 50 Best Investments
- China Closes the Innovation Gap
- Companies Stockpiling the Most Profit Overseas
- Oil's Downfall Aided by Rise of Fracking
- The Richest Banks
- Crime Can Pay if It's Big Enough
- The Good Food Movement Needs Science, Too
- How Buffett Became a Billionaire
- The Most Successful Companies Founded Since 1944
- Big Pharma Killed Medicine
- Corporate Power Doesn't Always Win
- Wall Street Should Pay a Sales Tax, Too
Business: "Most Holiday Shopping Happens In December"