Obama Announces Plan to Fight Antibiotic-Resistant Germs
President Barack Obama announced a new five-year plan to fight antibiotic-resistant bacteria, saying it is one of the most serious public health issues faced today. Critics said his plan does not adequately tackle the use of antibiotics in farming
President Barack Obama recently announced a new five-year plan to fight antibiotic-resistant bacteria, saying it is one of the most serious public health issues faced today.
Obama told reporters at the White House, before meeting privately with his advisers on science and technology, that people take antibiotics for granted for a lot of illnesses.
"If we start seeing those medicines diminish in effectiveness, we're going to have problems,'' he said.
Germs can become resistant to antibiotics through repeated exposure, making the bacteria immune to typical medicines.
The president's plan includes working to prevent the spread of resistant bacteria, improving the monitoring and diagnosing of bacteria-resistant strains, and improving research into new drugs. He offered few details about the new plan.
Obama also said the solution is not just finding new antibiotics. "It’s also making sure that we're using antibiotics properly. ... There are a whole range of reasons why bacteria are becoming more and more resistant to our traditional treatments."
Critics said his plan does not adequately tackle the use of antibiotics in farming.
Distributed via VOA News.
Available at Amazon.com
- India Eases Up on Apple
- World's Most Valuable Business Brands
- America's Favorite Brands
- The Numbers Behind Google's Online Empire
- The iPhone Price Index
- Number of Bitcoin ATMs by Country
- AT&T Unveils New TV Streaming Service
- Alcohol & Sport: A Match Made In Heaven
- Plenty of Dough in Online Food Delivery
- Taxi Driver Earnings Compared To Uber
- How Apple's New Products Measure Up
- Bigger AT&T Is the Last Thing We Need
- Wells Fargo is Rotting from the Top Down
- Female CEOs Earn Much Less Than Their Male Counterparts
- The Highest-Paid CEOs
- More Chobani Capitalism, Please
- Better Labels, Better Food
- The Big Banks Can Be Beaten
- Putting Free Speech Out to Pasture
- China Closes the Innovation Gap
- Crime Can Pay if It's Big Enough
- The Good Food Movement Needs Science, Too
- How Buffett Became a Billionaire
Business: "Obama Announces Plan to Fight Antibiotic-Resistant Germs"