Seven Deadly Words You Should Never Use
Creating a better life is hard work! It takes little effort to maintain the status quo, but if you have a dream of making more money, getting a promotion, starting a business, becoming healthier or improving your relationships, you're going to need as much support as you can get. Strike these seven deadly words/phrases from your lexicon today:
This is a filthy word when it comes to improving your life. It sounds like this: "When I lose 10 pounds, I'll start dating again. When I'm a little older, I'll go for that promotion. When I complete my degree, I'll start that side-business." Most of the time, our "whens" just don't happen, or if they do, they take so long that we've forgotten what it was we wanted in the first place. "When" is rarely necessary, but just to be sure, ask yourself this: "Would it be illegal, unethical or immoral to start now?" If the answer is no, don't wait for when.
There's nothing wrong with having a "someday" list of things you want to do and places you want to go, but when you find your "today" list empty, you'd best start moving some of your future goals into the present. "Someday" is such a deceptive word. It makes you feel good by proclaiming you'll achieve something one day; however, months, years and even decades can pass, and you may find that your someday is still a long way away.
Behavior change expert Dr. BJ Fogg of the
Don't be a wimp! Stop wanting, wishing and hoping to do something or that something happens. If you want more control over your fate, you must take more responsibility for your actions and their outcomes. Don't sit around expecting change to arrive in your mailbox. It takes a decision and it takes action, not just wishful thinking.
5. Not good enough.
How can a phrase with "good" in it be so bad? These simple words will keep you from hitting the publish button, from making that important phone call or from trying out for the audition. The solution? Flip it around. Instead of, "this isn't good enough," change it to, "it's not perfect, but it's good enough." Don't wait for everything to be perfect. Just put it out there and see what happens. For more insight into this, listen to my interview on RicherLife.com with
6. I don't have the time.
The same guy who doesn't have time to go to the gym with you after work will miraculously be able to free up an entire evening if you present him with free Lakers basketball tickets. It may feel like you don't have time, but with some focus and pruning of non-essential commitments (e.g. TV), you can free up 20 minutes to two hours every night to work on those actions that will help you create a better life.
7. It's not the right time.
If not now, when? No, really? If you are waiting for the stars to align, it's not going to happen. Instead of waiting for the right time, shift your thinking and look for the least worst time to get started.
Think back to an achievement or goal that you've accomplished. It took vision, dedication and perseverance. Not excuses. Stop castrating your future with these seven deadly words/phrases, and start working toward a richer life.
For more career and personal development advice, visit iHaveNet.com Careers
- Seven Deadly Words You Should Never Use
- Best Employment Security Plan for Older Workers
- Start Your Own Business in College
- Despite High Unemployment, Millions of Job Openings
- How to Get the Salary You Want Even in This Economy
- The Quitting Quiz
- Can I Afford to Quit My Job?
- Green Your Commute
- 6 Ways to Network While You're in College
- Many Once-Standard Workplace Benefits Disappearing
- 5 Factors to Consider Before Relocating for a Job
- How to Take Off After a Layoff
- Unemployed for Life?
- Employers Increasingly Trimming Or Cutting Disability Benefits
- Boost Your Mood with This Simple Trick
- How to Create a Career without a Full-Time Job
- Become Unbreakable: 10 Tips to Create More Personal Resilience
- Get Over Yourself! Learn This Secret to Boost Your Confidence
- Steve Jobs: 5 Secrets of Success
- Do One Simple Thing to Immediately Increase Your Power
- Take Charge of Your Professional Development
- 6 Ways the World of Work is Changing
- Mastering the New Freelance Economy
- How to Deal with a Gap on Your Resume
- 6 Things You Must Do Today to Stay Sane in an Insane World
- How to Make a Career Back-Up Plan
- Navigate the Booming Computer Science Market
- How Higher Education Affects Lifetime Salary
- Unfinished College Degree Means Less Money
- Start Living Your Miracle Life
- Workplace Benefits That Are Rapidly Disappearing
- 5 Common Resume Misconceptions
- How Social Media Can Help 50-Plus Workers Find Jobs
- How to Run a Meeting that Won't Tick Off Employees
- Job Opportunity for Entrepreneurial New Grads
- LinkedIn Offers New Options for Students
- 12 Ways to Be More Creative at Work
- Can You Answer the Miracle Question?
- Getting Ahead in Hard Times
- Why New Graduates Should Consider Entrepreneurship
- 6 Tips for the Hopeful Entrepreneur
- Think Startups are Fueling the Recovery? Not So Much
- How the Crippled Housing Market Affects Job Seekers
- 5 Business Lessons You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg
- How to Use Twitter to Change Careers
- Tips for College Grads Starting First Jobs
- 5 Ways Your Negative Friends Can Drag You Down
- Job Market Sucks? Not for Techies
- How to Land a Job in Tech Even if You Don't Write Code
- 5 Creative Ways to Showcase Your Resume Online
- Can Profanity Help Your Career?
- Business Schools Hope to Shatter Sturdy Glass Ceiling
- Failure Is Now Fashionable
- How to Mesh In-Person and Online Networking
- How Facebook and Your Free Time Can Get You Fired
- Why You Should Ditch the Quest for the Perfect Career
- Best Travel Companies to Work For
- The Oprah Effect: Ultimate Star-Maker Moves On As Should We
- Companies with the Most Older Workers
- 9 Companies Hiring Now
- Find New Law Jobs in a Slow Economy
- Make a Difference (And a Fortune!) Sharing Your Advice
- Business Management the Dog Way
- Healthcare Jobs on the Rise
- Can I Afford to Take a Sabbatical?
- How to Position Yourself to Change Careers
- How to Create Superstar Employees: Beyond Work-Life Balance
- The 10 Worst Cities for Job Seekers
- Hate Your Job? 3 Ways to Find a Better Job
- Alternative Career Options for Burned-Out Lawyers
- Where the Engineering Jobs Are
- Top 25 Companies for Work-Life Balance
- Tips for Communicating Well at Work
- Where the M.B.A. Jobs Are
- Not Too Late to Find a Summer Job or Internship
- When Surviving is Not Enough
- Navigating the Digital Job Market When You're Not Tech Savvy
- What Your Name Says About You in the Workplace
- Yoga Teaching Increasingly Popular as Second Career
- 9 Tips to Stop Caring What Others Think
- When Using Job Boards It Pays to Go Niche
- New Site Helps You Use Facebook for Your Job Search
- Tips to Create More Energy and Confidence
- When Your Dream Company is Hiring on Twitter
- Grads May Find More Jobs at Entrepreneurial Firms
- 3 Steps to Create a More Powerful Self-Image
- Switching Jobs in Bad Times: Should You Make the Leap?
- Extra Income: Bring in the Cash
- Treat Your Career Like a SmartPhone
- And on the Side, I'm an Entrepreneur
- Trouble at the Office
- How to Invest Your Time and Energy for Maximum Success
- Is It Time to Go Back to School?
- A Balanced Life is for Losers
- Thinking of Starting a Business? Look Before You Leap
- The Most Effective Ways to Look for a Job
- The Death of the One-Page Resume?
- Brighter Job Outlook for Class of 2011
- Quitting Fear Inc
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Women's Day: Life (and Work) Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- Stop Waiting for Permission
- Proactive Job-Search Strategy: Pitch Your Dream Company
- Cover Letters That Work
- Change Your Life and Create a Personal Revolution
- Taking a New Job Without Burning Bridges at the Old Job
- The Right Job at the Right Time
- The Quickest Way to Radically Improve Your Life: Use Radical Change
- 8 Workplace Perks for New Parents
- Reach Your Goals More Quickly: Use Incremental Change
- What the .Jobs Domain Means for Job Seekers
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- 10 Best Cities to Get a Job
- How to Be a Smart Job-Hopper
- How Job Seekers Can Build Their Online Brand
- Take Your Resume to the Next Level: Video
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- Rise in Social Media Jobs Means Opportunity for Job Seeker
- Want More Clout? Stand Up Straight
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Best Jobs 2011: Emergency Management Specialist
- 10 Jobs That Offer a Big Bang for Your Buck
- Best Career Advice: 2011
- Career Advice Hits of 2010
- Careful Actions Can Lead to Good Luck
- The Top 50 Companies to Work For
- Never Let Excuses Drag You Down Again
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- 6 Steps to Polish Up Your Resume
- 6 Tips for GenY on the Job Hunt
- Be Wary About Chancing a Workplace Romance
Careers - Seven Deadly Words You Should Never Use
Copyright © 2011 CBS INTERACTIVE INC. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES INC.