Emmanuel Macron's Landslide Win
By Niall McCarthy (Statista)
In the end, it was a landslide victory for Macron who took 66 percent of the vote compared to Le Pen's 34 percent.
Pro-EU centrist Emmanuel Macron has defeated far-right candidate Marine Le Pen in the French presidential election. Geographically, the former economy minister swept the board, with Le Pen managing to win two of France's 107 departments, Calais and Aisne.
Macron was particularly successful in Paris where he managed to attract 89.7 percent of the vote. He also proved popular in several departments along the Mediterranean and in the north-east where support for Marine Le Pen was strong in the first round of the election. Macron was elected on a pro-EU plaftorm in stark contrast to Le Pen who vowed to hold a referendum on France's EU membership and pull the country out of the single currency.
The chart above shows the winner of each deparement in the second round of the French presidential election.
- Would Churchill Have Voted for Brexit?
- Catalonia: Democracy, Legality and the EU's Role
- The Rise and Fall of Europe: Unity and Challenge
- Europe's Crisis Starts at Home
- The Fallacies of the Cyprus 'Problem'
- Germany: Return of the GroKo
- Can Europe Sustain the Macron Moment?
- The Resilience of Spanish Democracy
- The Birthplace of Trumpism
- Britain Faces a Brave New World After Brexit
- What Ireland Can Teach Europe
- Who Feels EU Membership Has Paid Off?
- Catalonia's Tumultuous Referendum
- Satisfaction Levels Around Europe
- Europe's Busiest Airports
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Putin's Approval Rating High Despite Protests
- Russian Attitudes Towards Corruption
- Britain's Gender Pay Gap Starts at Early Age
- Brexit Effect On Women's Rights Under Scrutiny
- Octogenarian Italian Feeds the Poor with Food Waste
- Lone Migrant Children Arriving in Italy by Sea Doubles
- Greek Island Refugee Camp A Place Without Human Dignity
- Greece On Track For 2018 Surplus Target
- Greece Hopes Lenders Will Drop Austerity Demands
- Greek Debt Manageable
- Greece Bids Farewell to Mitsotakis
- Lloyds Named Britain's Best LGBT Employer
- Euro Zone Economy Steams Ahead
- Hollande Warns of American 'Populism'
- Whither Belgian Beer? Rise Of U.S. Brews Hurting Old World Craft
- The Rise of Young Asylum Seekers in Europe
- Emmanuel Macron's Landslide Win
- Populism's Call
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- Greek Islanders Rely on Volunteers & God
- UK Politics: Jeremy Corbyn on the Rise
- UK Election: Dis-May-Ed
- May's Snap Election Gamble Backfires
Europe: "Emmanuel Macron's Landslide Win"