Germany Leads Europe In Hospital Bed Capacity
by Niall McCarthy
According to Eurostat, Germany leads Europe in hospital bed capacity with 823 beds per 100,000 inhabitants. Eastern European nations dominate the top-half of the table.
British Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt recently rejected claims that the country's heatlh system is facing a humanitarian crisis. He argued that the UK's expenditure on health is above average for a developed nation, despite the fact that it trails most other European countries in hospital bed capacity.
According to Eurostat, Germany leads Europe in hospital bed capacity with 823 beds per 100,000 inhabitants. Eastern European nations dominate the top-half of the table with Lithuania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania, Poland and the Czech Republic all present in the top-10.
The United Kingdom and Ireland are at the opposite end of the table with 273 and 260 free hospital beds per 100,000 people respectively. Just last week in Ireland, a record 612 patients were waiting on trolleys for medical care in the country's 52 hospitals due to a lack of available beds. Health Minister Simon Harris denied that Ireland's trolley crisis is a national emergency.
The chart above shows available hospital beds per 100,000 inhabitants in the EU (2014).
- Would Churchill Have Voted for Brexit?
- Catalonia: Democracy, Legality and the EU's Role
- The Rise and Fall of Europe: Unity and Challenge
- Europe's Crisis Starts at Home
- The Fallacies of the Cyprus 'Problem'
- Germany: Return of the GroKo
- Can Europe Sustain the Macron Moment?
- The Resilience of Spanish Democracy
- The Birthplace of Trumpism
- Britain Faces a Brave New World After Brexit
- What Ireland Can Teach Europe
- Who Feels EU Membership Has Paid Off?
- Catalonia's Tumultuous Referendum
- Satisfaction Levels Around Europe
- Europe's Busiest Airports
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Putin's Approval Rating High Despite Protests
- Russian Attitudes Towards Corruption
- Britain's Gender Pay Gap Starts at Early Age
- Brexit Effect On Women's Rights Under Scrutiny
- Octogenarian Italian Feeds the Poor with Food Waste
- Lone Migrant Children Arriving in Italy by Sea Doubles
- Greek Island Refugee Camp A Place Without Human Dignity
- Greece On Track For 2018 Surplus Target
- Greece Hopes Lenders Will Drop Austerity Demands
- Greek Debt Manageable
- Greece Bids Farewell to Mitsotakis
- Lloyds Named Britain's Best LGBT Employer
- Euro Zone Economy Steams Ahead
- Hollande Warns of American 'Populism'
- Whither Belgian Beer? Rise Of U.S. Brews Hurting Old World Craft
- The Rise of Young Asylum Seekers in Europe
- Emmanuel Macron's Landslide Win
- Populism's Call
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- Greek Islanders Rely on Volunteers & God
- UK Politics: Jeremy Corbyn on the Rise
- UK Election: Dis-May-Ed
- May's Snap Election Gamble Backfires
Europe: "Germany Leads Europe In Hospital Bed Capacity"