Ultimate List of Gym Bag Essentials
by Jenna Michael
Living an active life can also mean living a life on the go. Whether it's your car, purse or gym bag, if you are anything like me, you feel like your whole life is always portable. Over the years, I have discovered the ultimate essentials every gal needs to keep in her gym bag.
First things first -- we need a good bag to carry everything in.
I depend on my Apera yoga tote to keep all my belongings organized wherever I go. Each bag is designed for a healthy lifestyle and features all the qualities of a "gym goer's" ideal bag. They are built with anti-microbial material, have vented compartments and wipe-able linings (to air out the stinkiness), and each bag comes with a washable insert for your dirty clothes.
Apera makes all sorts of bags, ranging from a yoga tote to a simple drawstring sling bag. I use mine for work at the gym everyday and I can fit a TON of stuff in it. Investing in a durable, well-made bag will be well worth your money when you use it for years.
Next on the list are your basic gym bag essentials.
Spare clothes, your purse, extra socks, an umbrella just in case (you wouldn't believe how many times that's come in handy), a water bottle, and a granola bar.
Even if you aren't a granola bar person, keeping a small snack handy is a safe way to prevent an incident. I've gone to the gym many times and realized my body needs a little extra sugar or energy so – voila! -- granola bar! I typically keep a spare pair of work and workout clothes in my bag just because of the nature of my job -- better safe than sorry!
Once you fill your bag with the basic essentials, next come the workout essentials.
Sweat towel, lifting gloves, iPod / iPhone holder, headphones and music are all an awesome bonus to your gym bag.
You never know if your hands will need a little extra padding or if you will need music for extra motivation. I also included my iPad / iPhone because I use it for all my class music and have been known to watch Netflix while running on the treadmill.
After your workout essentials go in the bag, we get into the locker room essentials.
Depending on where you go after you hit the gym and what kind of gym you go to, not all of these will apply to you. Shower flip flops, extra hair ties, first aid supplies, hand sanitizer, face wipes, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, lotion, body wash, a small package of tissues, cough drops, and a hair brush are useful. Some gyms are kind enough to provide generic versions of various products, but I prefer to bring my own. You also may need to pack a shower towel if your gym doesn't provide a towel service. Can't shower without one of those! All the products below (including the shoes) can fit into one overnight bag.
Lastly, I never leave home without my Apera washable insert for my dirty workout clothes.
I used to use a plastic grocery bag because I couldn't find a bag that would contain the stink and be washable. This insert is absolutely awesome and I just throw it in the washer with the rest of my clothes!
To make your life a little easier when packing your gym bag, here's a list of everything you may need while on the go.
Gym Bag Packing List
- - Purse
- - Umbrella
- - Water bottle
- - Granola bar
- - Mints/gum
- - Spare clothes/socks
- - Sweat Towel
- - Lifting gloves
- - iPod / iPhone holder
- - Headphones
- - Music
[ Check out The Best Headphones for Running ]
Locker Room Essentials:
- - Shower flip flops
- - Extra hair ties
- - Face wipes
- - Hand sanitizer
- - First aid supplies -- Band-Aids, Advil, lady products
- - Deodorant
- - Shampoo/conditioner
- - Lotion
- - Body wash
- - Small package of tissues
- - Cough drops
- - Hair brush
- - Bath towel
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- The Secret to High Intensity Training
- Ultimate List of Gym Bag Essentials
- Playground Workouts
- How to Fight Workout Fatigue
- Yoga Poses for Detoxing, Energy and Stress Reduction
- How to Stay Fit At Work
- Easy and Fun Ways to Add Intensity to Your Workouts
- Yoga Moves You Can Do Without Leaving Your Bed
- Try Out These Exercises to Avoid 'Tech Neck'
- How to Boost Your Metabolism and Stop Derailing Your Diet
- Your Best Pre-Workout Foods
- Fun Outdoor Exercises You Don't Need Equipment For
- Steps to Prep for Outdoor Exercise
- The Best Stretches to Add to Your Workout
- Five Foods to Help Build Muscle
- Foods to Add to Your Diet Now
- Fall into Fitness
- How to Host a Fabulous Fitness Party
- Baseball-Inspired Workouts for Your Best Beach Body
- The Best Fitness Trackers for Your Sport
- Best Recovery Drinks
- Walk Your Way to Lower Blood Pressure
- How I Reached My Dream Weight
- Stay Busy, Stay Young
- Running With Your Dog
- The Exercise Conundrum
- Running With Your Dog
- Your Stay-At-Home Workout
- Banish Belly Fat for Good
- Pre- and Post-Workout Food for Maximum Results
- Running + Yoga: A Winning Combination
- 4 Workout Routines You Can Do During Your Lunch Hour
- How to Start a Swimming Routine
- Setting Fitness Goals That Work With a Busy Schedule
- Should You Join a Running Club?
- 5 Group Fitness Classes to Try Now
- 5 Best Fitness Apps
- The Exercise Conundrum
- Diet vs. Exercise: What if You Can't Find Time for Both?
- The Best Type of Exercise for Your Personality
- 6 New Fun Exercise Trends to Try Now
- Strength Training for Women: Exercises to Look Lean and Toned
- 4 Family-Friendly Workouts
- Take a Stand Against Sitting
- When Your Body Fights Weight Loss
- A Beginner's Guide to Running
- Yoga Cures for 5 Common Health Woes
Article: Copyright © 2016, Studio One.
"Ultimate List of Gym Bag Essentials"