Beat Winter: How to Exercise in the Cold
I know how hard it can be to adjust to winter’s chill and darkness (at least in some parts of the country). But I also know that regularly getting outside to exercise -- especially to walk -- offers considerable mental and physical payback. I love nature’s power to soothe and stimulate, and because I believe in the power of walking year-round, I’ve learned how to make specific adjustments to better tolerate shorter days and cooler temperatures.
Here, my top five tips for staying safe, warm and happy so I can exercise in the cold all winter long:
1. Buddy up.
If there’s ever a time to get an exercise buddy, winter is it! There’s nothing like teaming up with another warm body on a cold day to get out and moving. My favorite exercise buddy: My cockapoo, Puppy.
2. Sleep late.
It’s not much fun to go out early when it’s still dark. So switch to a lunch break workout or a midafternoon refresher. If you have no choice but to exercise before or after work, be sure to wear reflective gear and carry a flashlight so drivers can see you at dawn (and dusk)!
3. Dress for success.
Wear layers that suit your environment, and remove items as you warm up. A windbreaker, hat and gloves can do wonders to keep you warm all over -- and you can easily remove them if you overheat.
4. Warm up where it’s warm.
Cold muscles are more prone to injury. So sip a cup of hot cider or green tea for inspiration before you head out in the cold, then jog up your stairs a few times or run in place to rev up your circulation.
5. Wait to stretch.
When you exercise in the cold, wait at least 10 minutes before stretching, or better yet, stretch only after your workout. If you can, lengthen your limbs indoors immediately after you exercise so chilly winds won’t cause your muscles to tighten.
Maggie Spilner is the author of three books on walking for health and fitness and was Prevention magazine's walking editor and club director for 17 years.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Yoga Does the Body and Mind Good
- Do You Sit Too Much?
- Maximize Your Morning Energy
- Your Mini Work Workout
- Beat Winter: How to Exercise in the Cold
- Get a Jump on Your Fitness with Plyometrics
- Easy Workout Routines to Boost Your Mood
- Are You Exercising Hard Enough?
- Up Your Metabolic Rate with Weights
- Dance Yourself Happy: Why Swinging Your Body Lifts Your Spirit
- How to Get Cardio and Weight Training in 20 minutes
- Gyrotonic: Fitness That's Fun
- The Right Kind of Yoga for You
- Plan to Ski or Snowboard? Strengthen up Now
- Can Crash Diets Be a Good Way to Lose Weight?
- How to Prevent Sports Injuries
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- The Low-down on Energy Drinks
- The Food Un-coma
- What's the Best Weight-loss Diet?
- Spot the Difference: Sore Muscles vs. Muscle Injury
- Adults at Forefront of Bicycle Boom
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- Fibromyalgia Symptoms Improve With Tai Chi
- The Best Fall Sport for Cardio
- Banish Belly Fat
- Prescription for Better Health: Go Alfresco?
- Suspension Workouts
- Drink Up! Avoiding Dehydration
- Keep Your Athletes Hydrated On and Off the Field
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Colleges Joining Effort to Turn Around Skyrocketing Obesity Rates
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Lose the Weight and Not the Energy
- Stress-busting Walking Workout
- Detox Light
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- Buff up Your Back-to-School Body
- Debunking Detox Diets
- Real Shortcuts to Your Dream Body
- Exercise for Kids: 5 Tips for Parents
- 5 Ways to Exercise Safely in the Heat
- Exercise Your Body and Brain
- Winning Water-sport Workouts
- Fit Exercise Into Your Life
- Conquer the Biggest Mud Runs
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Key Foods and Nutrients Especially Beneficial to Your Health
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Maximum Fitness: CrossFit Training
- Is Hefty the New Healthy?
- Aerobics Without Heartburn
- Nature's Gym: Exercising Outdoors
- A Lean Mean Stay-fit Exercise Routine
- Take the Work Out of Workout
- Middle-Age Spread and How to Avoid It
- Fiber and Weight Loss: Learn the Secrets
- Weighing the Evidence on 6 Popular Diet Programs
- Regular Exercise Helps Protect Aging Brains
- Lose Weight and Look Great This Summer
- Easy Exercises You Can Do At Home
- Flat Abs for Heartburn Sufferers
- Green Fitness
- How Many Crunches are Enough
- Fit Your Bike For the Perfect Ride
- Is Boot Camp for You?
- After-meal Workout
- Go From Stick to Thick
- Feeling Fatigued? Try Exercise!
- Sports Injuries: Many Preventable & Most Respond Well to Treatment
- Are You Fit or Fat?
- Tai Chi: Secret to Health and Well-being
- Fitness: Walk the Nordic Way
- Fitness: Workout With Your Better Half
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.