Can Eating Slowly Really Help Me Lose Weight?
On two separate occasions, researchers at the University of Rhode Island in Kingston asked 30 women to eat the same meal -- pasta with garlic, diced tomatoes and celery, topped with Parmesan and Romano cheeses.
The first time, they were instructed to eat as quickly as comfortably possible.
The second time, they were told to take small bites, put their utensils down between bites and chew each mouthful 20 to 30 times.
When the women ate slowly, they consumed an average of 67 fewer calories, but felt fuller afterward. How is this possible?
"From the time you start eating, it takes at least 20 minutes for the body to start feeling full," explains study leader Ana M. Andrade. "The slow meal took 21 minutes longer to eat, so participants developed feelings of satiety while consuming fewer calories. They also chewed more, which also spurs feelings of satiety. And they drank more water, which is also filling."
So take the time to savor your meal. You’ll enjoy it more, and you might shed a few pounds as well!
Available at Amazon.com:
- Shape up With Family-friendly Fitness
- Can Yoga Really Help Me Maintain a Healthy Weight?
- Can Eating Slowly Really Help Me Lose Weight?
- Get Moving With a New Fitness Gadget
- 5 Ways to Fire up Your Metabolism
- 7 Shocking Weight-loss Myths
- Get Back on Track
- Make Life-changing Resolutions a Reality
- The Stubborn Belly-fat Solution
- Lose Weight Faster With Mushrooms
- High-tech Help for Weight Loss
- Yoga Does the Body and Mind Good
- Do You Sit Too Much?
- Maximize Your Morning Energy
- Your Mini Work Workout
- Beat Winter: How to Exercise in the Cold
- Get a Jump on Your Fitness with Plyometrics
- Easy Workout Routines to Boost Your Mood
- Are You Exercising Hard Enough?
- Up Your Metabolic Rate with Weights
- Dance Yourself Happy: Why Swinging Your Body Lifts Your Spirit
- How to Get Cardio and Weight Training in 20 minutes
- Gyrotonic: Fitness That's Fun
- The Right Kind of Yoga for You
- Plan to Ski or Snowboard? Strengthen up Now
- Can Crash Diets Be a Good Way to Lose Weight?
- How to Prevent Sports Injuries
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- The Low-down on Energy Drinks
- The Food Un-coma
- What's the Best Weight-loss Diet?
- Spot the Difference: Sore Muscles vs. Muscle Injury
- Adults at Forefront of Bicycle Boom
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- Fibromyalgia Symptoms Improve With Tai Chi
- The Best Fall Sport for Cardio
- Banish Belly Fat
- Prescription for Better Health: Go Alfresco?
- Suspension Workouts
- Drink Up! Avoiding Dehydration
- Keep Your Athletes Hydrated On and Off the Field
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Colleges Joining Effort to Turn Around Skyrocketing Obesity Rates
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Lose the Weight and Not the Energy
- Stress-busting Walking Workout
- Detox Light
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- Buff up Your Back-to-School Body
- Debunking Detox Diets
- Real Shortcuts to Your Dream Body
- Exercise for Kids: 5 Tips for Parents
- 5 Ways to Exercise Safely in the Heat
- Exercise Your Body and Brain
- Winning Water-sport Workouts
- Fit Exercise Into Your Life
- Conquer the Biggest Mud Runs
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Key Foods and Nutrients Especially Beneficial to Your Health
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Maximum Fitness: CrossFit Training
- Is Hefty the New Healthy?
- Aerobics Without Heartburn
- Nature's Gym: Exercising Outdoors
- A Lean Mean Stay-fit Exercise Routine
- Take the Work Out of Workout
- Middle-Age Spread and How to Avoid It
- Fiber and Weight Loss: Learn the Secrets
- Weighing the Evidence on 6 Popular Diet Programs
- Regular Exercise Helps Protect Aging Brains
- Lose Weight and Look Great This Summer
- Easy Exercises You Can Do At Home
- Flat Abs for Heartburn Sufferers
- Green Fitness
- How Many Crunches are Enough
- Fit Your Bike For the Perfect Ride
- Is Boot Camp for You?
- After-meal Workout
- Go From Stick to Thick
- Feeling Fatigued? Try Exercise!
- Sports Injuries: Many Preventable & Most Respond Well to Treatment
- Are You Fit or Fat?
- Tai Chi: Secret to Health and Well-being
- Fitness: Walk the Nordic Way
- Fitness: Workout With Your Better Half
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.