How to Get Cardio and Weight Training in 20 minutes
I only have 20 minutes to work out. Should I do cardio or weight training?
The short answer is that you need to do both.
And even with only 20 minutes a day, you can accomplish both by alternating your workouts.
An ideal schedule for the average week:
- Three days of cardio
- Two days of strength/weight training
- One day for something relaxing like stretching or yoga
- One day of rest
The most important thing is consistency, so aim to make physical activity -- whether it’s organized exercise or just taking the stairs and walking more -- an integral part of your everyday life. Even on your days “off” from exercise, you should still try to get 20 minutes or so of movement scattered throughout your day.
To maximize the results from your short sessions, you need to be focused in your approach:
On cardio days
Alternate 20 minutes at a steady pace one day with 20 minutes of more intense interval training another day (e.g., four minutes at a moderate pace, step it up for one minute; repeat four times through).
On weight training days
Do an assortment of moves that work all of the major muscle groups.
Christa Bache is a personal trainer based in New York City.
Available at Amazon.com:
- How to Get Cardio and Weight Training in 20 minutes
- Gyrotonic: Fitness That's Fun
- The Right Kind of Yoga for You
- Plan to Ski or Snowboard? Strengthen up Now
- Can Crash Diets Be a Good Way to Lose Weight?
- How to Prevent Sports Injuries
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- The Low-down on Energy Drinks
- The Food Un-coma
- What's the Best Weight-loss Diet?
- Spot the Difference: Sore Muscles vs. Muscle Injury
- Adults at Forefront of Bicycle Boom
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- Fibromyalgia Symptoms Improve With Tai Chi
- The Best Fall Sport for Cardio
- Banish Belly Fat
- Prescription for Better Health: Go Alfresco?
- Suspension Workouts
- Drink Up! Avoiding Dehydration
- Keep Your Athletes Hydrated On and Off the Field
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Colleges Joining Effort to Turn Around Skyrocketing Obesity Rates
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Lose the Weight and Not the Energy
- Stress-busting Walking Workout
- Detox Light
- Wean Yourself Off Processed Foods in 7 Steps
- Buff up Your Back-to-School Body
- Debunking Detox Diets
- Real Shortcuts to Your Dream Body
- Exercise for Kids: 5 Tips for Parents
- 5 Ways to Exercise Safely in the Heat
- Exercise Your Body and Brain
- Winning Water-sport Workouts
- Fit Exercise Into Your Life
- Conquer the Biggest Mud Runs
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Key Foods and Nutrients Especially Beneficial to Your Health
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Maximum Fitness: CrossFit Training
- Is Hefty the New Healthy?
- Aerobics Without Heartburn
- Nature's Gym: Exercising Outdoors
- A Lean Mean Stay-fit Exercise Routine
- Take the Work Out of Workout
- Middle-Age Spread and How to Avoid It
- Fiber and Weight Loss: Learn the Secrets
- Weighing the Evidence on 6 Popular Diet Programs
- Regular Exercise Helps Protect Aging Brains
- Lose Weight and Look Great This Summer
- Easy Exercises You Can Do At Home
- Flat Abs for Heartburn Sufferers
- Green Fitness
- How Many Crunches are Enough
- Fit Your Bike For the Perfect Ride
- Is Boot Camp for You?
- After-meal Workout
- Go From Stick to Thick
- Feeling Fatigued? Try Exercise!
- Sports Injuries: Many Preventable & Most Respond Well to Treatment
- Are You Fit or Fat?
- Tai Chi: Secret to Health and Well-being
- Fitness: Walk the Nordic Way
- Fitness: Workout With Your Better Half
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.