Real Shortcuts to Your Dream Body
Anne Marie O'Connor
Your Dream Body
Sometimes a girl just doesn’t have the time (or money) to do a two-hour workout, hire a personal chef and devote endless hours to primping. We rounded up fitness pros, makeup mavens and lifestyle experts to spill their personal shortcuts to looking -- and feeling -- their best. With these beat-the-clock secrets, you’ll feel confident and wonder what to do with all that newfound free time.
HIIT the Gym
Scorch calories with HIIT, high-intensity interval training. The result is a stronger, sculpted you. According to Anthony Nehra, a New York personal trainer and author of TheFitFeed.com, the method focuses on working at a very high-intensity level for a short period of time, then recovering at a low level. Beginners: Aim for a 30-second sprint followed by a two-minute recovery walk.
Find the Right Support
A properly fitting bra will lift breasts, making you instantly appear taller and thinner, says Susan Nethero, owner of Intimacy Boutiques. The right support can also make back fat disappear instantly, since bulges are commonly caused by ill-fitting bras.
Keep Your Perfect Smile
Brush your teeth at least twice a day, floss and use a rubber-tipped gum stimulator to keep stains from building at your gum line, advises Hugh Flax, a dental surgeon. Also avoid stain-makers like blueberries, red wine and coffee.
Brighten Your Eyes
Highlight the windows to your soul with a defined line. While liquid liner is the most dramatic, creamy pencils can also do the trick. “Indigo and sapphire liner can brighten any face by making the whites of the eye look whiter, says celebrity makeup artist Tina Turnbow.
Kelly Osbourne swears by the slimming effects of self-tanner, which can camouflage bumps and other skin inconsistencies. For quick results, use a heavily pigmented formula. Be sure to exfoliate and dry skin before applying to avoid looking orange and streaky.
Fact: People with white teeth have more self-confidence. Improve your smile and self-esteem with whitening strips. They effectively deposit hydrogen peroxide onto the enamel in no time. Choose products with 10 percent of the active ingredient.
Noshing more often is one of the most effective ways to control your weight, says Leslie Dantchik, a nutritionist and author of AlphaBitesNYC.com. While it may sound counterintuitive, eating consistently also helps you avoid overeating. Smaller meals also help maintain blood sugar and energy levels.
Start Strength Training
Building muscle is an easy way to stoke your metabolism. During your next gym visit, try compound exercises, which work multiple muscle groups at once. “Doing exercises that target different areas at the same time is an efficient way to get sculpted,” says Nehra.
Paint Your Lips Red
Choose lip gloss shades that make your teeth appear whiter, including colors with blue undertones, such as punchy berries and deep cherries. And stick to glosses versus matte finishes. “A little shine can distract from a less-than-desirable smile,” says Turnbow.
Make a Smoothie
Homemade fruit shakes are an easy way to get two to three servings of fruit plus calcium in a single drink, says Dantchik. Simply blend skim milk, flaxseed and your favorite fruit.
Exfoliate skin with a washcloth or loofah in the shower. “It’s the easiest way to achieve an all-over glow,” says Turnbow. Enhance muscle tone by slathering on a light-reflecting moisturizer.
Pose Like a Pro
Channel red carpet confidence by standing with purpose. Angle yourself with your feet staggered, and smile pretty -- not big -- suggests Roshumba Williams, model and judge on “She’s Got the Look.” Avoid the frozen-in-the-headlights pageant face with a relaxed attitude.
Anne Marie O'Connor has been a writer and editor for 12 years, during which time she has covered a variety of topics, including health, beauty, fashion and general lifestyle. She has contributed to Shape, Fitness, InStyle, Allure and Glamour among other national titles.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Are My Blood Pressure and Heart Rate Changing Normally During Exercise?
- Real Shortcuts to Your Dream Body
- Exercise for Kids: 5 Tips for Parents
- 5 Ways to Exercise Safely in the Heat
- Exercise Your Body and Brain
- Winning Water-sport Workouts
- Fit Exercise Into Your Life
- Conquer the Biggest Mud Runs
- Traveling Light: Healthy Eating for Business Junketeers
- Better Ways to Get Your Produce
- Key Foods and Nutrients Especially Beneficial to Your Health
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Maximum Fitness: CrossFit Training
- Is Hefty the New Healthy?
- Aerobics Without Heartburn
- Nature's Gym: Exercising Outdoors
- A Lean Mean Stay-fit Exercise Routine
- Take the Work Out of Workout
- Middle-Age Spread and How to Avoid It
- Fiber and Weight Loss: Learn the Secrets
- Weighing the Evidence on 6 Popular Diet Programs
- Regular Exercise Helps Protect Aging Brains
- Lose Weight and Look Great This Summer
- Easy Exercises You Can Do At Home
- Flat Abs for Heartburn Sufferers
- Green Fitness
- How Many Crunches are Enough
- Fit Your Bike For the Perfect Ride
- Is Boot Camp for You?
- After-meal Workout
- Go From Stick to Thick
- Feeling Fatigued? Try Exercise!
- Sports Injuries: Many Preventable & Most Respond Well to Treatment
- Are You Fit or Fat?
- Tai Chi: Secret to Health and Well-being
- Fitness: Walk the Nordic Way
- Fitness: Workout With Your Better Half
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.