Natural Energy Drinks That Work
Natural Energy Drinks That Work
With $1.3 billion spent on energy shots in 2011, and more than $6 billion spent on energy drinks overall, there is no question that marketers and beverage companies now rely on these drinks for big business. To appease consumer fears, nutritional alchemists first cut out sugar and then caffeine, touting instead the energy benefits of B vitamins.
Unfortunately, the idea that B vitamins give you energy is a myth (what they actually do is help you extract energy from your food quickly), and so beverage lab scientists continue to seek new combinations of chemicals to keep the profits coming in. And yet, energy drink–related emergency room visits have increased tenfold in just seven years -- a sure sign that energy drinks remain questionable.
Below are a few healthier options for finding energy. Although it's better to get your energy from simple, effective methods such as getting enough sleep, exercising, meditating, and doing yoga and breathing exercises, getting your quick fix when you need it is not necessarily a bad thing -- if you choose wisely.
1. Green Tea
Green Tea is packed with cancer-fighting flavonoids (it contains more than fresh fruits and vegetable juices do), and its subtle caffeine levels are only one benefit of drinking this ancient and delicious beverage. Monks around the world are known to consume cups of it before sunrise to keep their meditation sharp and focused. What it lacks in terms of immediate boost measured against a Monster drink, it clearly makes up for in antioxidants.
Try to keep it natural and forgo the sweetener; your palate will soon appreciate the taste of tea and not honey or sugar. My other reco: Temple Tea varieties. You'll get an incredible monthly selection shipped directly from the company's tea master in Taiwan for only $20.
2. Banana and Date Smoothie
This simple smoothie gives you sustained energy and can serve as a meal replacement. Dates provide natural sugars, bananas aid digestion, and honey gives you a non-jittery energy boost. To make the smoothie, simply place one banana, 1 teaspoon of honey, three dates and 8 ounces of unflavored coconut water in a blender.
The benefits aren't immediate, but there is also no crash or craving for more. Sustained energy is much more efficient than the crash-and-burn type anyway, and this is a great way of ingesting plenty of natural sugars -- without worrying about added chemicals.
3. FRS Healthy Energy Drinks
Still prefer to look for your fix in the supermarket aisle? Well, then, try FRS: The science behind these energy drinks appears to be valid. The company does not overload you on B vitamins, but instead focuses on quercetin, which has been shown to help you fight fatigue during exercise (notice the exercise component) as well as block brain receptors for adenosine, which makes you feel sleepy. Sugar content is low, though personally I'm not a huge fan of the taste.
- What's the Healthiest Yogurt?
- Are Canned Foods Good for You?
- Is There Such a Thing as a Healthier Cigarette?
- Massage Away Allergies with these Expert Moves
- Say Goodbye to Computer Strain
- Prevent Hearing Loss -- Before It's Too Late
- Train Your Brain to Crave Healthy Foods
- Broken Heart Syndrome: A Real and Dangerous Condition
- Beat Canker Sores Now
- Eating for Healthy Aging: Adopt an Anti-Inflammatory Diet
- Stress-relief Methods for Every Occasion
- Natural Energy Drinks That Work
- Fish Oil: The One Benefit You Haven't Considered
- Can Skipping Breakfast Raise Your Diabetes Risk?
- FDA Seeks to Tame Exploding Medical App Market
- Why You Shouldn't Work at Night
- Do Dental X-rays Cause Cancer?
- Nutrient Timing: When to Eat What for Maximum Nutrition
- 3 Simple Meditations to Help You Focus
- Herbs That Boost Flavor and Your Health
- The Latest Superfoods You Need to Know About
- Want a Better Smile? Eat This
- Dial Down the Temp to Cook Healthier Meats
- Edible Flowers
- Shift to Plant Foods for Better Health and Eco-Impact
- Best Way to Dispose of Old Drugs
- Why Sad Movies Make You Happy
- Fighting Cancer with Plant Foods
- Lifesaving Skills Everyone Should Learn
- Emotional Eating: How to Stop It Forever
- Make Takeout Healthy Tonight
- Natural Cures for Spring Allergies
- The Good News About Dark Meat
- American Obesity Epidemic Much Worse Than CDC Believes
- Do You Have a Fatty Liver?
- How to Stop Ear Pain on a Plane
- Why Learning Leads to Happiness
- Why Helping Others Makes Us Happy and Healthy
- Why Our Homes Make Us Happy
- Happier People Deal Better with Hardships
- Religion Makes People Happier -- But Why?
- Boost Mood with Whole Foods
- Surprising Nutrition Facts on Foods
- Holiday Workouts: Try Interval Training
- Stay Fit and Trim All Winter Long
- Screening Tests That Can Save Your Life
- Eat Fiber and Feel Better
- The Worst and Best Sweets for Your Teeth
- Healthy Eating All Day
- A Smart Guide to Dietary Supplements
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- Hybrid Fruit: The New Super-food
- Is Indian Cuisine Healthy Cuisine?
- Is 'Ethnic' Cuisine Healthier?
- Surviving Cold Season: How Not to Get Sick
- 7 Healthy Habits in 7 Weeks
- Sleep More and Live Longer
- Heartburn-friendly Diet with Your Favorite Foods
- The Vibrant and Healthy Flavors of an Authentic Latin Diet
- Is It Hunger or Just Appetite?
- Stay Healthy the Easy Way
- Boost Your Energy: Hour by Hour
- 5 Healthy Foods That Wreck Your Teeth
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- Beat Your Afternoon Energy Slump
- Small Healthy Habits With Big Health Benefits
- 5 Fast Breakfasts That Boost Your Health
- Apples Are the New Fish
- Watermelon: Summer's Antioxidant
- Are All Omega-3 Fats The Same?
- Sample a Semi-Vegetarian Lifestyle With a Flexitarian Diet
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- How to Lose Weight Safely
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.