Subway Sandwiches Ranked by Calories
by Sabrina Perry
Using data from the ESHA nutrition database and the current Subway menu, HealthGrove found 25 healthy sandwiches with the fewest calories.
Subway has long been known for trying to set itself apart from the fast-food pack. The company's "eat fresh" tagline aimed to convince you that it's healthy. And, with multiple "fresh fit" sandwich options and vegetables lined up for selection right in front of you, it was easy enough to believe.
However, a glance at the menu -- and this UCLA study in the Journal of Adolescent Health -- indicates Subway is not that different from many other fast food options.
Researchers examined the purchase patterns of adolescents at both McDonald's and Subway and found that, on average, they purchased 1,038 calories at McDonald's and 955 calories at Subway -- not a statistically significant difference. Additional studies have shown that people tend to overeat when they consider a food "healthy," which could add unintentional calories.
But before you go running back to the familiar faces of Micky-D's or Burger King, a closer look at Subway's menu shows that they do have some healthy options -- you just have know what to order.
With regard to weight maintenance, calories play an important role. Because of this, HealthGrove, the health data analysis and visualization site from Graphiq, used data from the ESHA nutrition database and the current Subway menu to compile a list of 25 6-inch sandwiches offered by the popular chain, ranked from most to least caloric.
- Health Tips for Winter Wellness
- America Is Fatter Than Ever
- The Most Sugary Frozen Desserts From 25 Chains
- Burger King's Fattiest Menu Items
- Subway Sandwiches Ranked by Calories
- What You Should Know About America's Gluten-Free Fad
- The Cost of a Trip to the Emergency Room Since 1940
- How Age and Stress Impacts Our Sleep
- Improve Your Sleep Tonight with These 6 Simple Steps
- How Better Health Begins With 'No'
- Kick That Unhealthy Cravings Habit
- Food for Healthy Skin: A Diet For A Glowing Face
- Surprising Sleep Stealers
- What 'Clean Eating' Really Means
- Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water
- 4 Eating Habits You Didn't Know Were Bad
- Eat Like an Italian!
- Sleep Your Way to Better Heart Health
- Reduce Your Exposure to Toxins from Grilled Meats
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Mindful Eating
- Meal Timing to Maintain Weight
- Dandelions: Nature's Mild Diuretic
- Kick the Diet Soda Habit
- Why De-Stressing Matters
- Time to Turn In
- Pillow Talk
- Leafy Green Vegetables Take the Spotlight
Article: Copyright © 2018
Health & Wellness "Subway Sandwiches Ranked by Calories"