The Most Sugary Frozen Desserts From 25 Chains
by Alison O'Brien
HealthGrove found the most sugar-filled frozen treats at 25 chain restaurants.
"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first," said American author Ernestine Ulmer.
There's a reason why dessert is so universally loved. In the heat of the summer months, there is nothing more refreshing than a cool, frozen confection.
While it's certainly acceptable to indulge in a sweet treat every now and then, excess sugar consumption can lead to serious, lasting health problems. Even many seemingly innocent American diets are filled with hidden sugar, a topic explored by Katie Couric in her documentary "Fed Up."
HealthGrove, a health care research and analysis site powered by Graphiq, found the most sugary frozen desserts at 25 popular chain restaurants. To do this, they compared all frozen dessert menu items at each respective chain and selected the one with the most grams of sugar. The data is pulled from menus as of July 20, 2016.
Frozen desserts with a combination of candy, ice cream and baked goods dominate the top of the list. More than half of these desserts double the World Health Organization's daily sugar intake recommendation of 25 grams. In fact, the most sugary desserts on this list are five to six times more than the recommended allowance. So, next time you reach for the dessert menu, make sure to consider all of your options.
Note: For desserts with different size options, the medium size was selected for comparison. Ties were broken by calorie count.
- The Most Sugary Frozen Desserts From 25 Chains
- Burger King's Fattiest Menu Items
- Subway Sandwiches Ranked by Calories
- What You Should Know About America's Gluten-Free Fad
- The Cost of a Trip to the Emergency Room Since 1940
- How Age and Stress Impacts Our Sleep
- Improve Your Sleep Tonight with These 6 Simple Steps
- How Better Health Begins With 'No'
- Kick That Unhealthy Cravings Habit
- Food for Healthy Skin: A Diet For A Glowing Face
- Surprising Sleep Stealers
- What 'Clean Eating' Really Means
- Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water
- 4 Eating Habits You Didn't Know Were Bad
- Eat Like an Italian!
- Sleep Your Way to Better Heart Health
- Reduce Your Exposure to Toxins from Grilled Meats
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Mindful Eating
- Meal Timing to Maintain Weight
- Dandelions: Nature's Mild Diuretic
- Kick the Diet Soda Habit
- Why De-Stressing Matters
- Time to Turn In
- Pillow Talk
- Leafy Green Vegetables Take the Spotlight
Article: Copyright © 2017
"The Most Sugary Frozen Desserts From 25 Chains"