How to Set a Beautiful Holiday Table
Setting a Beautiful Holiday Table
It is possible to put china, crystal and silver in the dishwasher, but precautions need to be taken. The right soap, careful loading and your dishwasher's gentle cycle makes holiday dinner cleanup easier
If the powder room is the busiest room in your house during holiday celebrations, the kitchen is surely the hardest working. And the appliance that seems to work nonstop at this time of year is the dishwasher. That said, we all seem honor the holiday tradition of hand washing our china, crystal and silver. All the time spent at the sink over the years carefully washing these prized objects -- especially if they're heirlooms with family memories attached -- makes them seem too precious to put into the dishwasher. But are they?
Don't wash with sand
Yes, it is possible to put china, crystal and silver in the dishwasher, but precautions need to be taken.
The first and perhaps most important caveat is that you must choose the right dishwasher detergent. In fact, it shouldn't be a detergent at all but rather a dishwasher solution formulated to be mild. Most detergents on the grocery store shelves are filled with strong chemicals because we want to put a three-day-old lasagna pan in the dishwasher and see it come out sparkling. To do that requires lots of scouring with harsh detergents that contain abrasives -- like sand. It's why many people complain of a white haze on their glassware; the glass finish has been scored by the scouring agents.
To wash china, crystal and silver (sterling or silver-plate) in the dishwasher requires a mild solution that is free of bleaches such as chlorine.
Dishwasher soaps that have oxygen, lemon or citrus agents also contain compounds that can bleach the designs on delicate finishes. It's best to select a dishwashing solution that is liquid and free of chlorine and bleaching agents and harsh detergents. Two good products are Neu Automatic Dishwashing Liquid (neuhomecare.com) or
Remember: If the dishwasher detergent you use is strong enough to take off lipstick and baked-on lasagna, it can also scour the finish right off your glasses, silverware and dishes. Now imagine placing your delicate crystal, china and silverware into the dishwasher. The lovely silver rim on your antique china settings might just go down the drain in your dishwasher's rinse cycle.
In addition to the type of soap you use, the way you load the dishwasher is also important. Start by rinsing all the cutlery and dishes. Load only your china, crystal and silver in the dishwasher. Use a paper towel to manually remove any lipstick and large particles left on fork tines or plates because a mild dishwasher soap may not take it off, because today's lipsticks are formulated to stay on all day. Make sure that only silver place settings are loaded into the silverware basket. Mixing stainless cutlery with silver can scratch the silver. If you have tall, delicate stemware, it may be better not to place these items in the dishwasher. And lastly, run your dishwasher on the gentle cycle.
Following these tips will help you set your holiday tables with your most beautiful place settings of china, crystal and silver -- and spend less time cleaning up afterwards.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Living Room Arrangement Inspires Conversational Holiday Gatherings
- How to Set a Beautiful Holiday Table
- Perk Up Your Powder Room Before the Holidays
- Key to Happy Houseplants: Low Maintenance
- Time to Bring the Garden Inside
- Budget-friendly Kitchen Makeover Ideas
- How to Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Dining Table Scuffed and Scratched?
- Outdated light fixture?
- Front door looking shabby?
- Where to Store Certain Foods in the Refridgerator
- Give Your Kitchen a Facelift Before the Holidays
- Spruce Up Entryway for the Holidays Ahead
- Paperwhite Narcissus: Indoor Blooms for Winter
- How to Save Your Dahlia Tubers Over Winter
- Order Too Many Bulbs? No Problem: Just Pot Them
- For a Beautiful and Long-Lasting Deck Nothing Beats Redwood
- How Healthy Is Your Bedroom?
- One-day Home Makeover
- How to Spot an Energy Efficient Dishwasher
- Have a broken or annoying doorbell?
- Creating the Ultimate Spa Bath
- A Laundry Room to Love
- Seven Ways to Make Your Home Sparkle This Fall
- Crisp Weather Signals Time to Plant Bulbs
- Getting and Keeping Your Garden in Shape for Next Spring
- Right Kind of Brick Pavers Make Your Sidewalk Last
- More to Stone Retaining Walls Than Meets the Eye
- How to Create a Kitchen Baking Center
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- Signs It's Time to Replace Your Microwave Oven
- Weather-Stripping Windows
- Short on Shelf Space?
- As Cool Season Approaches Don't Give Up on the Garden
- Use Bold Red to Energize a Room
- Easy and Cheap Home Decorating Ideas
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Refrigerator
- Guide to Buying a Cooktop
- Guide to Buying a Dishwasher
- Are Your Doorknobs Dating Your Home?
- Squeaky staircase driving you crazy?
- Cut a Three-Hour House Cleaning Down to 30 Minutes
- Best Way To Clean Your Oven
- Is Your Indoor Air Clean Enough?
- Homegrown Stain Busters
- Transform Your Trash
- How Does Composting Work?
- Finding Vacation Home Bargains
- How Your Home Offices Can Make You More Productive
- Makeover Solutions for Problem Fireplaces
- Cozy Feel of Country Style Is Right for Fall
- Make Your Garden a Late Summer Pit Stop for Migratory Hummingbirds
- Plant Containers: Front and Center
- Blotches on Composite Decking Easily Tackled with Oxygen Bleach
- Fall Cleaning 101
- How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer
- Lamplight too bright?
- Guide to Buying a Kitchen Range
- Transform Boring Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- The Wonder of Wildflowers in the Garden
- Decorating with Nature: Corncob as Paint Roller
- The Habits of Keeping a Clean House
- Floor Radiant Heat
- Moving Television Creates TV Cable Complications
- Jillian Reynolds: The Glamorous Homebody
- Boxing Champ Floyd Mayweather King of His Las Vegas Castle
- Actress Melora Hardin Treasures Time at Home, Far From 'The Office'
- Taboo's Shoe Closet Is of Epic Proportions
- 9 Reasons to Choose a New Home Over a Resale
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
Copyright © 2010 Kathryn Weber, Living Space. All rights reserved.