Mirrors: A Decorative Reflection
Mirrors, ornate and plain, do lots of decorative heavy lifting. Used thoughtfully, they can double as art, lighten up dark rooms, or reflect pretty views or accessories
Mirrors are magical. The Chinese believe they capture moonlight and the reflection can be used to ensnare unwary suitors. Snow White's wicked stepmother enslaved a mirror to compliment her. Superstition says breaking a mirror brings seven years of bad luck, and vampires have to go through eternity never knowing if they have spinach in their teeth.
Far from their superpowers, mirrors do a lot of heavy lifting in the decorating department. Sure, you can place one over the mantel or beside the front door so you check yourself on the way out, but if that's the only way you use mirrors in your home, you're failing to harness their full stylistic horsepower.
Today, mirrors and French fries are both better supersized. An oversized mirror can do double duty as both a reflector of light and a focal point. Leaning against a wall, a large mirror becomes sculptural and chic. It makes the room look bigger, too.
Create a view:
When you have a beautiful view, you can have a pretty sight times two by positioning a mirror opposite the view. Another creative use of mirrors is to add one where a window is missing. If your bed or sofa looks unbalanced because there's a window on only one side, create a faux window with mirrored panels. Hang it in the blank space, topped off with curtains, and at first glance, it will pass as a window.
Under the principles of feng shui, the ancient art of arranging our living spaces, mirrors are regarded negatively for couples' bedrooms. Hanging a mirror on the wall opposite your bed is thought to promote the intrusion of "others" into the relationship, possibly encouraging infidelity. Mirrors are also thought to generate energy, which could cause insomnia, so feng shui experts often recommend removing them.
Mirrors are great for dim rooms because they reflect light, but not the best choice in bedrooms. Sleeping is enhanced in a dark room, making large mirrors an impediment for restful sleep. Re-purpose a dresser mirror by hanging it in another location.
Adding mirrored glass inside molding on a dresser, or using a mirror to top a dresser or console can give your furniture a fresh look. Try mirroring over a whole door to make the door disappear. Your local glass company can apply the mirror and drill it for the door handle set.
Using mirrors creatively can add extra style throughout your home. Add framed gilded mirrors behind accessories to highlight the items. Place mirrors behind candles or lamps for more sparkling light. Take a tip from restaurants and place a framed mirror behind liquor bottles to dress up your bar.
Try using mirrors in unexpected places, too. Rather than always putting a mirror at the front door, why not dress up the back door? In cramped spots, a mirror can make the area feel more spacious. And you can check for spinach on the way out every door!
Available at Amazon.com:
- Stay Toasty and Save Energy This Winter
- Give Your Office a Boost
- Ease Stress With These 10 Holiday Home Time Savers
- Mirrors: A Decorative Reflection
- Granite Tile Instead of Slab for Countertop
- Cut Your Carbon Footprint and Save Money With New Gadgets
- Amaryllis: Bright Blooms for Winter
- Restock Your Kitchen With Holiday Bargains
- Winter Bedding Tips to Help You Sleep Better
- Flash From the Past: Growing Begonias Indoors
- How to Install a Ceramic-tile Backsplash
- 7 Inventive Ways to Redeck Your Halls
- 6 No-brainer Time-savers
- Living Room Arrangement Inspires Conversational Holiday Gatherings
- How to Set a Beautiful Holiday Table
- Perk Up Your Powder Room Before the Holidays
- Key to Happy Houseplants: Low Maintenance
- Time to Bring the Garden Inside
- Budget-friendly Kitchen Makeover Ideas
- How to Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Dining Table Scuffed and Scratched?
- Outdated light fixture?
- Front door looking shabby?
- Where to Store Certain Foods in the Refridgerator
- Give Your Kitchen a Facelift Before the Holidays
- Spruce Up Entryway for the Holidays Ahead
- Paperwhite Narcissus: Indoor Blooms for Winter
- How to Save Your Dahlia Tubers Over Winter
- Order Too Many Bulbs? No Problem: Just Pot Them
- For a Beautiful and Long-Lasting Deck Nothing Beats Redwood
- How Healthy Is Your Bedroom?
- One-day Home Makeover
- How to Spot an Energy Efficient Dishwasher
- Have a broken or annoying doorbell?
- Creating the Ultimate Spa Bath
- A Laundry Room to Love
- Seven Ways to Make Your Home Sparkle This Fall
- Crisp Weather Signals Time to Plant Bulbs
- Getting and Keeping Your Garden in Shape for Next Spring
- Right Kind of Brick Pavers Make Your Sidewalk Last
- More to Stone Retaining Walls Than Meets the Eye
- How to Create a Kitchen Baking Center
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- Signs It's Time to Replace Your Microwave Oven
- Weather-Stripping Windows
- Short on Shelf Space?
- As Cool Season Approaches Don't Give Up on the Garden
- Use Bold Red to Energize a Room
- Easy and Cheap Home Decorating Ideas
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Refrigerator
- Guide to Buying a Cooktop
- Guide to Buying a Dishwasher
- Are Your Doorknobs Dating Your Home?
- Squeaky staircase driving you crazy?
- Cut a Three-Hour House Cleaning Down to 30 Minutes
- Best Way To Clean Your Oven
- Is Your Indoor Air Clean Enough?
- Homegrown Stain Busters
- Transform Your Trash
- How Does Composting Work?
- Finding Vacation Home Bargains
- How Your Home Offices Can Make You More Productive
- Makeover Solutions for Problem Fireplaces
- Cozy Feel of Country Style Is Right for Fall
- Make Your Garden a Late Summer Pit Stop for Migratory Hummingbirds
- Plant Containers: Front and Center
- Blotches on Composite Decking Easily Tackled with Oxygen Bleach
- Fall Cleaning 101
- How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer
- Lamplight too bright?
- Guide to Buying a Kitchen Range
- Transform Boring Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- The Wonder of Wildflowers in the Garden
- Decorating with Nature: Corncob as Paint Roller
- The Habits of Keeping a Clean House
- Floor Radiant Heat
- Moving Television Creates TV Cable Complications
- Jillian Reynolds: The Glamorous Homebody
- Boxing Champ Floyd Mayweather King of His Las Vegas Castle
- Actress Melora Hardin Treasures Time at Home, Far From 'The Office'
- Taboo's Shoe Closet Is of Epic Proportions
- 9 Reasons to Choose a New Home Over a Resale
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
Copyright © 2010 Kathryn Weber. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.