Creating the Ultimate Spa Bath
Ultimate Home Spa
The difference between a mere bath and the ultimate home spa is atmosphere. Like a day spa, your home spa should create instant relaxation when you enter.
From restaurants to vacations, we're all seeking ultimate experiences. Taking macaroni and cheese to new heights by adding truffles, lump crabmeat and mascarpone elevates this simple dish to a standard that the humble blue box could never achieve. The same could be said for contemporary bathrooms. Formerly a strictly utilitarian room, the bathroom of today has been transformed. It's now the preferred retreat for luxury and pampering. And the recipe for a home spa requires only a few essential ingredients.
Spas are known for their water treatments, such as whirlpool baths, soaking tubs and steam rooms. If you have the space, a whirlpool tub is a must. There are now whirlpool tubs that can be retrofitted into standard tub openings for easy replacement.
The shower should also be a key consideration for spa-like luxury. A rainfall showerhead delivers heavy droplets that gently massage your skin. These can be combined with body sprays for a hedonistic experience. If you rent, there are many showerhead assemblies that can be attached to a standard shower to deliver an invigorating shower experience.
If money is no object, a steam shower is an indulgence that delivers bone and muscle-soothing steam, making a true spa at home. Some steam generators also come with essential oils that can deliver an aromatherapy treatment with the steam. This would definitely qualify as an ultimate steam shower.
Without a doubt, it's the atmosphere that separates the ordinary bathroom from the ultimate home spa. Just as a day spa transports clients to an otherworldly relaxation experience, your ultimate home spa should create instant relaxation when you enter. Lighting is the first and perhaps the most important way to create the right atmosphere. Lighting should be layered. If you have overhead lighting, be sure to put it on a dimmer so you can create ambient low lighting. Sconces are another layer that can give light without being harsh or glaring, casting a romantic, relaxing glow. Lastly, add shelves or a wall accessory that holds candles. No day spa is complete without candles, and no home spa would be either. Select essential oil candles that use natural essences for a true spa-like fragrance and to further your relaxation.
When visiting your favorite day spa, be sure to note all the small touches that add up to a beautiful, soothing atmosphere. Details such as baskets to hold towels or slippers or a potted orchid tucked away on a shelf create that spa feel. Neutral colors are another spa standby and create that relaxing feeling. On the walls, mid-range beige, gold and taupe colors are a good choice for the most soothing effect. Music should also be accounted for. Purchase a quality surround-sound system or have one installed into the ceiling. For the ultimate experience, have music piped into your steam shower.
No matter whether you have an unlimited budget and space or an apartment rental, you can transform your bath into a spa-like experience. If your budget allows, go all out and create the ultimate spa-bath. But if it doesn't allow for a complete overhaul, there are ways to creatively retrofit your bathroom into a spa with small, inexpensive changes that add up to a relaxing feel.
Available at Amazon.com:
- How to Spot an Energy Efficient Dishwasher
- Have a broken or annoying doorbell?
- Creating the Ultimate Spa Bath
- A Laundry Room to Love
- Seven Ways to Make Your Home Sparkle This Fall
- Crisp Weather Signals Time to Plant Bulbs
- Getting and Keeping Your Garden in Shape for Next Spring
- Right Kind of Brick Pavers Make Your Sidewalk Last
- More to Stone Retaining Walls Than Meets the Eye
- How to Create a Kitchen Baking Center
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- Signs It's Time to Replace Your Microwave Oven
- Weather-Stripping Windows
- Short on Shelf Space?
- As Cool Season Approaches Don't Give Up on the Garden
- Use Bold Red to Energize a Room
- Easy and Cheap Home Decorating Ideas
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Refrigerator
- Guide to Buying a Cooktop
- Guide to Buying a Dishwasher
- Are Your Doorknobs Dating Your Home?
- Squeaky staircase driving you crazy?
- Cut a Three-Hour House Cleaning Down to 30 Minutes
- Best Way To Clean Your Oven
- Is Your Indoor Air Clean Enough?
- Homegrown Stain Busters
- Transform Your Trash
- How Does Composting Work?
- Finding Vacation Home Bargains
- How Your Home Offices Can Make You More Productive
- Makeover Solutions for Problem Fireplaces
- Cozy Feel of Country Style Is Right for Fall
- Make Your Garden a Late Summer Pit Stop for Migratory Hummingbirds
- Plant Containers: Front and Center
- Blotches on Composite Decking Easily Tackled with Oxygen Bleach
- Fall Cleaning 101
- How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer
- Lamplight too bright?
- Guide to Buying a Kitchen Range
- Transform Boring Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- The Wonder of Wildflowers in the Garden
- Decorating with Nature: Corncob as Paint Roller
- The Habits of Keeping a Clean House
- Floor Radiant Heat
- Moving Television Creates TV Cable Complications
- Jillian Reynolds: The Glamorous Homebody
- Boxing Champ Floyd Mayweather King of His Las Vegas Castle
- Actress Melora Hardin Treasures Time at Home, Far From 'The Office'
- Taboo's Shoe Closet Is of Epic Proportions
- 9 Reasons to Choose a New Home Over a Resale
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
Copyright © 2010 Kathryn Weber, Living Space. All rights reserved.