Budget-friendly Kitchen Makeover Ideas
Usher in this holiday season with simple kitchen updates that’ll make gatherings more memorable than ever.
While a major kitchen remodel may exceed your budget, you can enjoy a number of inexpensive updates now by cashing in on design creativity, smart materials and economical decorative touches to dress up your kitchen with comfort, warmth and personal style.
1. Add a touch of glass:
A new backsplash can make a big design impact without you needing to spend big bucks. Heat-resistant glass is on trend for a backsplash, and its glossy good looks are especially fresh in subdued violets and seafoam greens. Equally sleek are mosaic glass tiles or the installation of plate glass over wallpaper or painted drywall.
2. Layer in lighting:
Cost-efficient lighting can dramatically brighten your kitchen’s functionality and mood. A monorail track system provides good overall lighting. Improve task lighting by adding inexpensive plug-in light strips under cabinets and pendants or chandeliers above the island or sink. Use accent lighting to highlight artwork and architectural details, and don’t forget the small-but-always-effective dimmer switch to set the mood -- and save on your electric bill.
3. Replace hardware:
Update drawer pulls and cabinet handles to give your kitchen a new look for minimal cost. If you fall in love with pricey knobs, use just a few as accent pieces on upper cabinets.
4. Leave a message:
Create a handy message center by painting a cabinet door, pantry door, accent wall or the top half of a basement door with chalkboard or magnetic paint.
5. Dress the windows:
Fashion simple valances or cafe curtains from lightweight fabrics in cheery colors and stylized patterns. For one-of-a-kind curtains, hang vintage aprons or stitched tea towels in a patchwork design.
6. Clear the clutter:
Make your kitchen feel more inviting by using stackable and hanging storage, drawer inserts and baskets to keep clutter under wraps.
7. Make it cozy:
Take a cue from your living room to add comfort and style: Repurpose furniture, hang drapes, incorporate artwork and make room for freestanding furniture, such as an armoire to hold cookbooks, a desk for an added workstation or a comfy upholstered chair.
8. Use counter intelligence:
A new counter provides instant gratification for your budget kitchen makeover. Laminate offers the look of granite, stone and marble for a fraction of the cost. But even granite can be affordable if you use remnants or thin-cut slabs with a simple edge treatment. Or save by limiting higher-priced countertop materials to just the island.
9. Add pretty storage:
Replace a boring standard cabinet or fill an empty wall with open shelving that can display dishes, vases and even small picture frames or figurines. Or remove cabinetry doors and equip shelves with attractive storage baskets.
10. Incorporate inexpensive focal points:
Try for at least one unique design feature in your kitchen. A plate rack, glass cabinet doors, single wallpapered or different-color wall, colorful backsplash or a stylish shelf can provide an attractive accent that won’t cost a fortune.
11. Update cabinets:
There are dozens of ways to update drab cabinets, including paint for wood, veneer and metal styles. White and cream paint always looks fresh, while rich browns, grays and black offer a sleek, sophisticated vibe. For an old-world feel, consider a crackled or slightly worn faux finish. If you have recessed-panel doors, remove the center panel and insert reeded, textured, etched or stained glass to a few doors or to all.
12. Create island magic:
You don’t need a massive workstation to enjoy having a kitchen island. Repurpose an old dresser, table, butcher block or cart for a freestanding piece.
13. Furnish style on tap:
Make a splash with a new focal-point faucet. Today’s broad selection of kitchen faucets ranges from minimalist restaurant-style designs to farmhouse rustic to classically cool, with finishes ranging from shiny chrome, brass or copper to matte, brushed nickel or burnished copper.
14. Add architectural accents:
Add corbels beneath island countertops, shelves and cabinetry. Enhance an island with carved wood legs and corner posts. Crown a bank of cabinetry with molding for a custom design. Add crown molding to the ceiling.
15. Paint your decor:
Wall color is one of the least expensive ways to update a kitchen. Choose an easy-to-clean semigloss finish. Bold greens and light violets are popular modern colors. For a more classic feel, brush on neutrals such as the increasingly popular cool browns and complex grays.
LuAnn Brandsen is the former editor of Renovation Style, Country Home, Country Gardens, BHG Beautiful Kitchens and BHG Beautiful Baths magazines. She currently writes about homes, gardens and food while her brand-new energy-efficient dishwasher does all her dirty dishes.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Living Room Arrangement Inspires Conversational Holiday Gatherings
- How to Set a Beautiful Holiday Table
- Perk Up Your Powder Room Before the Holidays
- Key to Happy Houseplants: Low Maintenance
- Time to Bring the Garden Inside
- Budget-friendly Kitchen Makeover Ideas
- How to Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Dining Table Scuffed and Scratched?
- Outdated light fixture?
- Front door looking shabby?
- Where to Store Certain Foods in the Refridgerator
- Give Your Kitchen a Facelift Before the Holidays
- Spruce Up Entryway for the Holidays Ahead
- Paperwhite Narcissus: Indoor Blooms for Winter
- How to Save Your Dahlia Tubers Over Winter
- Order Too Many Bulbs? No Problem: Just Pot Them
- For a Beautiful and Long-Lasting Deck Nothing Beats Redwood
- How Healthy Is Your Bedroom?
- One-day Home Makeover
- How to Spot an Energy Efficient Dishwasher
- Have a broken or annoying doorbell?
- Creating the Ultimate Spa Bath
- A Laundry Room to Love
- Seven Ways to Make Your Home Sparkle This Fall
- Crisp Weather Signals Time to Plant Bulbs
- Getting and Keeping Your Garden in Shape for Next Spring
- Right Kind of Brick Pavers Make Your Sidewalk Last
- More to Stone Retaining Walls Than Meets the Eye
- How to Create a Kitchen Baking Center
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- Signs It's Time to Replace Your Microwave Oven
- Weather-Stripping Windows
- Short on Shelf Space?
- As Cool Season Approaches Don't Give Up on the Garden
- Use Bold Red to Energize a Room
- Easy and Cheap Home Decorating Ideas
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Refrigerator
- Guide to Buying a Cooktop
- Guide to Buying a Dishwasher
- Are Your Doorknobs Dating Your Home?
- Squeaky staircase driving you crazy?
- Cut a Three-Hour House Cleaning Down to 30 Minutes
- Best Way To Clean Your Oven
- Is Your Indoor Air Clean Enough?
- Homegrown Stain Busters
- Transform Your Trash
- How Does Composting Work?
- Finding Vacation Home Bargains
- How Your Home Offices Can Make You More Productive
- Makeover Solutions for Problem Fireplaces
- Cozy Feel of Country Style Is Right for Fall
- Make Your Garden a Late Summer Pit Stop for Migratory Hummingbirds
- Plant Containers: Front and Center
- Blotches on Composite Decking Easily Tackled with Oxygen Bleach
- Fall Cleaning 101
- How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer
- Lamplight too bright?
- Guide to Buying a Kitchen Range
- Transform Boring Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.