How to Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets
Have you ever felt frustrated in your kitchen, trying to find a certain pot or specific ingredients for a recipe?
We’ve all been there -- rummaging through cabinets with a vengeance to find a box of chicken stock or that perfect-sized saucepan. Well, say goodbye to disorganized shelves and drawers with these easy ways to arrange your kitchen cabinets.
Add pullout shelves:
Even if your cabinets are dated, you can give them 21st-century functionality. Pullout shelves and baskets, which cost under $100 for a two-tier unit, can really help you to see what you have. So, grab your measuring tape to figure out the unit size that will fit in your cabinets, go to your local home improvement center, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the mounting brackets, slides, and baskets. Look for heavy-gauge construction for lasting value.
De-clutter your bakeware:
For under $20, you can get dividers that mount into your cabinets to separate out muffin tins, cookie sheets and shallow pans. With a bakeware organizer, your gear is set on its side, so you can easily pull out what you need without having to lift up all your pans to get to that cookie sheet on the bottom.
Take a turn:
Installing a lazy Susan shelf set is a great way to organize spices or even cleaning supplies. It’s important to measure how much space you have carefully to make sure you have clearance for the unit to spin 360 degrees and accommodate any taller items you may want to store on it.
Pull out your garbage:
Instead of having a tiny trash can under the sink, you can have a regular-sized garbage bin that simply pulls out on a metal base when you need it. Pull-out waste containers range from 20- to 35-quart size, and prices start from about $45. Consider installing two units or a double unit, so you have one bin for waste and another for recyclables.
Organize your aluminum foil and plastic wrap:
Impress your guests by mounting shelves that are specially designed to hold your aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Measuring 3.25 inches in depth, the unit neatly holds your rolls of wrapping supplies and you can simply pull out what you need without taking out the whole box.
Keep your utensils neat:
A simple drawer organizer will get all of your cutlery in order.
Buy a kitchen cart or pantry shelves:
If you feel tight on space in your cabinets, you may need additional storage, such as a kitchen cart that can double as an island and give you extra counter space or a freestanding shelving unit.
Install a pot rack: This is a quick and easy way to instantly get more space in your cabinets. Pot racks range from $60 to $250 and are simple to install. They generally offer adjustable heights and multiple hooks to suit your needs, and can be mounted on the ceiling or wall. Have these items on hand to install the pot rack: a measuring tape to check for clearance, a stud finder to determine the location of the joists, a drill and ceiling screws.
Lisa Siglag is the former editor of House Beautiful Kitchens and Baths and a freelance writer specializing in home design. She has written for Good Housekeeping, House Beautiful Home Remodeling and Decorating, Custom Home and Country Living.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Living Room Arrangement Inspires Conversational Holiday Gatherings
- How to Set a Beautiful Holiday Table
- Perk Up Your Powder Room Before the Holidays
- Key to Happy Houseplants: Low Maintenance
- Time to Bring the Garden Inside
- Budget-friendly Kitchen Makeover Ideas
- How to Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Dining Table Scuffed and Scratched?
- Outdated light fixture?
- Front door looking shabby?
- Where to Store Certain Foods in the Refridgerator
- Give Your Kitchen a Facelift Before the Holidays
- Spruce Up Entryway for the Holidays Ahead
- Paperwhite Narcissus: Indoor Blooms for Winter
- How to Save Your Dahlia Tubers Over Winter
- Order Too Many Bulbs? No Problem: Just Pot Them
- For a Beautiful and Long-Lasting Deck Nothing Beats Redwood
- How Healthy Is Your Bedroom?
- One-day Home Makeover
- How to Spot an Energy Efficient Dishwasher
- Have a broken or annoying doorbell?
- Creating the Ultimate Spa Bath
- A Laundry Room to Love
- Seven Ways to Make Your Home Sparkle This Fall
- Crisp Weather Signals Time to Plant Bulbs
- Getting and Keeping Your Garden in Shape for Next Spring
- Right Kind of Brick Pavers Make Your Sidewalk Last
- More to Stone Retaining Walls Than Meets the Eye
- How to Create a Kitchen Baking Center
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- Signs It's Time to Replace Your Microwave Oven
- Weather-Stripping Windows
- Short on Shelf Space?
- As Cool Season Approaches Don't Give Up on the Garden
- Use Bold Red to Energize a Room
- Easy and Cheap Home Decorating Ideas
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Refrigerator
- Guide to Buying a Cooktop
- Guide to Buying a Dishwasher
- Are Your Doorknobs Dating Your Home?
- Squeaky staircase driving you crazy?
- Cut a Three-Hour House Cleaning Down to 30 Minutes
- Best Way To Clean Your Oven
- Is Your Indoor Air Clean Enough?
- Homegrown Stain Busters
- Transform Your Trash
- How Does Composting Work?
- Finding Vacation Home Bargains
- How Your Home Offices Can Make You More Productive
- Makeover Solutions for Problem Fireplaces
- Cozy Feel of Country Style Is Right for Fall
- Make Your Garden a Late Summer Pit Stop for Migratory Hummingbirds
- Plant Containers: Front and Center
- Blotches on Composite Decking Easily Tackled with Oxygen Bleach
- Fall Cleaning 101
- How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer
- Lamplight too bright?
- Guide to Buying a Kitchen Range
- Transform Boring Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.