A Personal Gym Brings Your Workout Home
Positioning exercise equipment by window will keep your interest by providing a view
In the quest for health, lack of exercise is often cited as the source of serious problems such as high blood pressure, as well as weight gain and fatigue. But adding more physical activity to your life could be as easy as turning on the TV.
For those who prefer not to exercise outdoors or in a public fitness center where they must share equipment, a home gym makes a lot of sense. Whether you work out in a corner or devote an entire room to exercise, you can create the perfect setting to keep you motivated to succeed.
OUTFITTING YOUR SPACE
It's important to find a spot that will support your workout and your interests. If you're on a treadmill or using a machine such as an elliptical, take a cue from an actual gym and set up a TV to curb boredom on those long rides or walks. Or, if you have a window, position your machine so you have a view. If neither option is possible, add a basket of magazines and an mp3 player to help you tick off the miles.
To stay comfortable and keep your footing sure and steady, add snap-together rubber or carpet squares (mygymfloor.com, rubberflooringinc.com). In addition to giving your feet some cushion, they'll provide a sound barrier and help delineate your workout space. The squares come in a variety of styles and colors ranging from wood tone to simple gray and black, matching any decor.
HOLD THE INTEREST
Consider adding a large standing fan if your workouts are intense. Good air flow will help keep you cool and your equipment dry.
If you're easily bored, stock a variety of exercise equipment, such as a treadmill, small weightlifting bench, exercise DVDs and a few light dumbbells. Select some DVDS on yoga or tai chi, for when your energy is low, plus others with more intense aerobic workouts for days when you have energy to burn. If you run out of workout options, buy some wall posters showing various exercises to vary your routine.
If you have a dedicated workout room, a small refrigerator might be a smart purchase to keep protein drinks and water handy. A shelf tower that fits in a corner can hold towels. Working on a beach body? Hang beautiful beach posters to keep you motivated. Lastly, a single standing mirror is a nice touch and less expensive and permanent than wall mirrors.
Available at Amazon.com:
- A Personal Gym Brings Your Workout Home
- Small-Space Gardening: When the Back 40 Is on Your Porch Railing
- The Way You Water
- 6 Can't Fail Sofa Buying Tips
- Tips for Holding a Successful Garage Sale
- Open Shelves: Designer Trend or Decorating Disaster?
- Stars of the Garden Can Be Leafy Rather Than Blooming
- Cut Back on Summer Spending
- Make Dad's Day With a Customized Home Bar
- How to Lavish Less Labor and More Love on Your Garden
- Banish Bathroom Counter Clutter With Clever Storage
- Creating a Beautiful Garden Can Be as Easy as Getting Dressed in the Morning
- The (Air) Drying Chronicles
- Cooking Ranges: Should You Go Pro?
- Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
- Some of the Best Gardening Happens Where the Sun Doesn't Shine
- How to Cut Your Air-Conditioning Costs
- Moving Day: 10 Ways to Take the Stress Out of Packing
- Feeling Overwhelmed by Garden Tasks? Make a List and Get to Work
- Time to Make Habitat for Returning Birds
- Create A Girl's Bedroom Fit For A Princess
- How Feng Shui Can Improve Your Life
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Go Green and Improve Happiness
- New Uses for Old Things: Household Odds and Ends
- Homeowner Savings Tips: What You Might Not Know
- Sure-to-Please Home Decorating Ideas
- Planting Strawberry Jars for Spring Color
- 5 Elements Guarantee a Perfect Outdoor Living Area
- Paint Your Kitchen 'Green' With These Eco-friendly Tips
- Trends in Painting: Is Faux Over?
- How to Have a Gorgeous and Organized Kitchen
- Shovel-Ready Project: Dividing Your Perennials
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- A Rose Is a Rose Is an Heirloom Rose
- Banquette Seating Makes For Cozy and Comfy Dining
- Controlling Dust in the Home Is a Never-Ending Task
- Fireplace Facelift Not a Job for the Faint of Heart
- Gorgeous and Glamorous Gray Goes the Distance
- Easy Eco-friendly Spring-cleaning
- 30 Top-To-Bottom Spring Cleaning Tips
- Too Cold to Plant? You Can Still Get Ahead of Garden Maintenance
- Area Rugs to the Rescue
- Rarin' to Get Planting? Here's What You Can Do Now
- Freshen Up Your House Whole House For Spring
- Don't Overlook Bulbs of Summer; Now Is Time to Plan Planting
- Time to Ready Your Backyard for Return of Avian Tenants
- You Can Pick Up Furniture Bargains In Unexpected Ways
- No Room for a Cellar? Create a Wine Closet
- Greener Living 101
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health and Your House
- Teen Decor That Puts the Cool in School
- Late Winter Is Time for Pruning and Forcing
- Key to Extraordinary Garden: Starting Your Own Seeds
- Barclay Butera: Create Modern Rooms Simply By Changing the Walls
- Four Common Eco-mistakes
- Are Vinyl Shower Curtains Safe?
- Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
- Wanna Get Away? Tropical Plants Can Help
- 10 Sneaky Ways to Get Organized
- A Better Load of Laundry
- Everyday Chores Get Greener
- Soothe Winter's Chill With a Steam Shower
- Houseplants Add Life to Your Winter
- Is Your Bedroom Decor Keeping You up?
- Seed Catalogs Trumpet the Promise of Spring
- Turning Down the Thermostat? Your Cyclamen Will Thank You
- A Room With a View: Clever Decorating Can Improve Your Vista
- Get Your Kitchen Drawers Organized Once and For All
- 10 New Year's Resolutions For Your Living Space
- Fantastic Faux Finishes
- Evergreens Add Color: Interest in Otherwise Dull Winter Landscape
- What to Do in a Frozen Pipe Emergency
Copyright © 2011, Living Space. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC