7 Questions to Answer Before Buying a New Vanity
7 Questions to Answer Before Buying a New Vanity
The bathroom vanity sets the tone for your entire bathroom, and the breadth of vanity options makes it easy to feel overwhelmed when shopping for a new one. First and foremost, you'll need to consider function, then style and then, of course, budget, which will both limit and guide you to select the right vanity for your space.
Begin your search by answering these seven questions to help you hone in on your needs:
"Do I need one sink or two?"
Your answer should depend on how much space you have. Double sinks require a 47-inch vanity at a minimum, but this is rare. Most double-sink vanities start at about 60 inches and run to about 72 inches. If you have a smaller space, you may have to select a single-sink vanity for your bathroom.
"Do I want a single unit?"
Do you want to custom-select the counter and sink of your vanity, or find one with a counter and sink already included? Most vanities do not include faucets, so you'll have to purchase one, but it's easy to find all-in-one units that come complete with sink basins and countertops.
"Do I need storage space?"
How much and what type of storage do you need for your vanity? If you have a lot of small makeup brushes and cosmetics, drawers will fit the bill. If you need a spot for household cleaners and blow-dryers, make sure your vanity includes deep cabinets or drawers.
"What style vanity do I want?"
If you are designing a traditional space, look for a vanity with plenty of architectural details, such as bun feet (resemble a slightly flattened ball), classic hardware and raised panel doors, or a bow-front (outward curve) design. If you're creating a modern space, opt for clean lines and simple hardware.
"What kind of countertop material do I want?"
If you opt to pick either a fully or partially customizable cabinet, you'll have to decide between five types of countertop materials. According to the National Kitchen & Bath Association, they are:
Marble and granite, which are durable but porous ($125 to $250 per linear foot installed);
Solid surfacing that's low-maintenance ($100 to $250 per linear foot installed);
Tiles, which have the drawback of dirt- and mildew-susceptible grout lines ($10 to $40 per running foot installed);
Laminate, an affordable option ($24 to $50 per running foot installed); and
Wood, such as maple butcher block, which can be vulnerable to water damage ($25 to $40 per linear foot installed).
"Is wheelchair accessibility important in my home?"
Wheelchair accessibility requires enough floor space in front of the vanity for a wheelchair to pull up to the countertop. Plus, the vanity should leave enough room for the chair to navigate around a door opening and closing. In addition, the height of the vanity needs to be lower to accommodate someone in a wheelchair.
"What kind of storage construction do I want?"
Before you purchase a vanity with drawers, check how they slide. See if they offer a soft-close so the drawer doesn't slam shut. Also look for drawer stops so that the drawer won't end up pulling out of place and into your hands when you're trying to reach something from the very back. Check the drawer joints -- a dovetail joint (interlocking edges that require no nails or screws) is a sign of high quality. Also, what is it made of (solid wood or particle board)? Will it stand the test of time? As a general rule, look for the highest-quality vanity you can afford, and you will be enjoying your bathroom vanity for years to come.
- Steps You Can Take to Boost Your Home's Value
- 7 Questions to Answer Before Buying a New Vanity
- Eat-In Kitchens Keep Meals and Families Together
- Paint Now Following Color Trends for 2012
- Teach Your Dog to Enjoy Your Garden Without Destroying It
- Power to the Pumpkin: 20 Ideas for Decorating With Autumn's Favorite Squash
- What's Your Laundry Style?
- Still Plenty to Do in the Garden to Get Ready for Winter
- Late-Blooming Camellias and Chrysanthemums Keep Colors of Autumn Interesting
- Out With the Summer Bulbs and in With the Spring
- Enliven Your Home With Orange
- Structure Is the Key to a Successful Garden
- Jewelry Center to Organize and Display Your Collection
- Interesting Foliage and Fall Blooms Make These Perennials Winners
- Easy Design Ideas Create Intimate and Romantic Dining Room
- Your Pillow Could Be Robbing You Of a Good Night's Sleep
- Price Drops and Financing Options Boost the Appeal of Solar
- Top 10 Cleaning Myths You Need to Know
- Sensual Fall Bedroom Fixes Emphasize Easy Opulence
- Late-Season Bloomers Keep the Garden Party Going
- Fall Is for Planting and Getting Good Deals at the Nursery
- Introducing Privacy to Open Concept Living
- White Kitchen Redux Has Balanced and Timeless Appeal
- Are Net-Zero Energy Houses on the Horizon?
- Easy Home-value Boosters
- The $50 Living Room Makeover
- How to Revive Your Home in a Weekend
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- 10 Great 'Green' Home Improvements for 2011
- Dog Days of August: Time to Think of Planting for Fall
- Top 10 Interior Decorating Mistakes
- Will This Home Renovation Pay Off?
- 9 Reasons to Buy a Newly Built Home
- Fur Fight: Taming Pet Hair in Your Home
- Insect Control Is for the Birds
- Blueberries From Your Own Backyard
- What's My Carbon Footprint?
- Reusing and Recycling 101
- Common Sources of Odor and How to Eliminate the Smell
- Agapanthus: A Beautiful Option for Busy Gardeners
- Here Comes the Sun: Don't Let Summer Heat Deter You from Gardening
- Tips To Help Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- Accessorize Your Home Like a Pro
- A Personal Gym Brings Your Workout Home
- Small-Space Gardening: When the Back 40 Is on Your Porch Railing
- The Way You Water
- 6 Can't Fail Sofa Buying Tips
- Tips for Holding a Successful Garage Sale
- Open Shelves: Designer Trend or Decorating Disaster?
- Stars of the Garden Can Be Leafy Rather Than Blooming
- Cut Back on Summer Spending
- Make Dad's Day With a Customized Home Bar
- How to Lavish Less Labor and More Love on Your Garden
- Banish Bathroom Counter Clutter With Clever Storage
- Creating a Beautiful Garden Can Be as Easy as Getting Dressed in the Morning
- The (Air) Drying Chronicles
- Cooking Ranges: Should You Go Pro?
- Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
- Some of the Best Gardening Happens Where the Sun Doesn't Shine
- How to Cut Your Air-Conditioning Costs
- Moving Day: 10 Ways to Take the Stress Out of Packing
- Feeling Overwhelmed by Garden Tasks? Make a List and Get to Work
- Time to Make Habitat for Returning Birds
- Create A Girl's Bedroom Fit For A Princess
- How Feng Shui Can Improve Your Life
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Go Green and Improve Happiness
- New Uses for Old Things: Household Odds and Ends
- Homeowner Savings Tips: What You Might Not Know
- Sure-to-Please Home Decorating Ideas
- Planting Strawberry Jars for Spring Color
- 5 Elements Guarantee a Perfect Outdoor Living Area
- Paint Your Kitchen 'Green' With These Eco-friendly Tips
- Trends in Painting: Is Faux Over?
- How to Have a Gorgeous and Organized Kitchen
- Shovel-Ready Project: Dividing Your Perennials
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- A Rose Is a Rose Is an Heirloom Rose
- Banquette Seating Makes For Cozy and Comfy Dining
- Controlling Dust in the Home Is a Never-Ending Task
- Fireplace Facelift Not a Job for the Faint of Heart
- Gorgeous and Glamorous Gray Goes the Distance
- Easy Eco-friendly Spring-cleaning
- 30 Top-To-Bottom Spring Cleaning Tips
- Too Cold to Plant? You Can Still Get Ahead of Garden Maintenance
- Area Rugs to the Rescue
- Rarin' to Get Planting? Here's What You Can Do Now
- Freshen Up Your House Whole House For Spring
- Don't Overlook Bulbs of Summer; Now Is Time to Plan Planting
- Time to Ready Your Backyard for Return of Avian Tenants
- You Can Pick Up Furniture Bargains In Unexpected Ways
- No Room for a Cellar? Create a Wine Closet
- Greener Living 101
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health and Your House
- Teen Decor That Puts the Cool in School
- Late Winter Is Time for Pruning and Forcing
- Key to Extraordinary Garden: Starting Your Own Seeds
- Barclay Butera: Create Modern Rooms Simply By Changing the Walls
- Four Common Eco-mistakes
- Are Vinyl Shower Curtains Safe?
- Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
- Wanna Get Away? Tropical Plants Can Help
- 10 Sneaky Ways to Get Organized
- A Better Load of Laundry
- Everyday Chores Get Greener
- Soothe Winter's Chill With a Steam Shower
- Houseplants Add Life to Your Winter
- Is Your Bedroom Decor Keeping You up?
- Seed Catalogs Trumpet the Promise of Spring
- Turning Down the Thermostat? Your Cyclamen Will Thank You
- A Room With a View: Clever Decorating Can Improve Your Vista
- Get Your Kitchen Drawers Organized Once and For All
- 10 New Year's Resolutions For Your Living Space
- Fantastic Faux Finishes
- Evergreens Add Color: Interest in Otherwise Dull Winter Landscape
- What to Do in a Frozen Pipe Emergency