Stay Toasty and Save Energy This Winter
Winter is my favorite season, but that doesn’t mean I enjoy being cold. I appreciate a well-heated home -- and I’m definitely not alone. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the average American household spends more than $2,200 a year on energy bills, with half of it going towards heating. You can’t stop the cold, but you can stop spending so much on your winter energy bill. Try these small changes that will add up to big savings:
A programmable thermostat will earn its money back in no time. Plus, you won’t have to remember to lower the heat to 68 F -- which is where it should be -- when you go to bed each night.
Stop the Draft
Install a door sweep: It’s one of the easiest and most effective changes you can make in your home. Think about putting one on the back door, garage door and attic door -- any door that may be in need of an extra barrier against the cold.
Fix the Drip
A leaky faucet will drain your wallet with every drip. The cost to heat your water can skyrocket when the weather is cold -- so every drop counts. Most often it’s a quick fix with a new washer. Save even more money on your energy bill by installing a faucet aerator. Aerators, or filters, will help control the flow from your faucet and will save you plenty on your water bill.
Let it Shine
Clean windows allow more sunlight -- and natural solar heat -- into your home. Keep blinds or curtains open during the day and closed at night.
Wash the Machine
This is a year-round money saver. Dust and residue build up over time inside your washing machine, so monthly cleanings will keep it running efficiently. Your energy bill will be lower -- and your clothes will be cleaner.
Even the smallest crack in a heating duct will cost you on your energy bill each month. Some utility companies offer a free energy audit, during which a pro helps you to find the leaks. If your company doesn’t give you that option, it may still be worth it to pay for the same service in order to find those sneaky energy drainers.
Clean the Furnace
The air filters in your furnace should be cleaned at least once a month to keep it working efficiently. All you have to do is wipe them with a fresh dryer sheet. You should also replace filters a few times a year.
Enjoy the Great Indoors
Take care of yourself! Blustery winter weather can increase your chances of catching a cold. Eating right, exercising and finding time to relax in the warmth of your home are all great ways to keep the sniffles away. After all, making eco-wise choices shouldn’t just be good for the environment -- it should be good for you too.
Emily Anderson is the author of Eco-chic Home, Eco-chic Weddings and When Changing a Lightbulb Just Isn't Enough. Her work has appeared in Better Homes and Gardens, Ladies' Home Journal, The New York Times
Available at Amazon.com:
- Steps You Can Take to Boost Your Home's Value
- Stay Toasty and Save Energy This Winter
- Give Your Office a Boost
- Ease Stress With These 10 Holiday Home Time Savers
- Mirrors: A Decorative Reflection
- Granite Tile Instead of Slab for Countertop
- Cut Your Carbon Footprint and Save Money With New Gadgets
- Amaryllis: Bright Blooms for Winter
- Restock Your Kitchen With Holiday Bargains
- Winter Bedding Tips to Help You Sleep Better
- Flash From the Past: Growing Begonias Indoors
- How to Install a Ceramic-tile Backsplash
- 7 Inventive Ways to Redeck Your Halls
- 6 No-brainer Time-savers
- Living Room Arrangement Inspires Conversational Holiday Gatherings
- How to Set a Beautiful Holiday Table
- Perk Up Your Powder Room Before the Holidays
- Key to Happy Houseplants: Low Maintenance
- Time to Bring the Garden Inside
- Budget-friendly Kitchen Makeover Ideas
- How to Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Dining Table Scuffed and Scratched?
- Outdated light fixture?
- Front door looking shabby?
- Where to Store Certain Foods in the Refridgerator
- Give Your Kitchen a Facelift Before the Holidays
- Spruce Up Entryway for the Holidays Ahead
- Paperwhite Narcissus: Indoor Blooms for Winter
- How to Save Your Dahlia Tubers Over Winter
- Order Too Many Bulbs? No Problem: Just Pot Them
- For a Beautiful and Long-Lasting Deck Nothing Beats Redwood
- How Healthy Is Your Bedroom?
- One-day Home Makeover
- How to Spot an Energy Efficient Dishwasher
- Have a broken or annoying doorbell?
- Creating the Ultimate Spa Bath
- A Laundry Room to Love
- Seven Ways to Make Your Home Sparkle This Fall
- Crisp Weather Signals Time to Plant Bulbs
- Getting and Keeping Your Garden in Shape for Next Spring
- Right Kind of Brick Pavers Make Your Sidewalk Last
- More to Stone Retaining Walls Than Meets the Eye
- How to Create a Kitchen Baking Center
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- Signs It's Time to Replace Your Microwave Oven
- Weather-Stripping Windows
- Short on Shelf Space?
- As Cool Season Approaches Don't Give Up on the Garden
- Use Bold Red to Energize a Room
- Easy and Cheap Home Decorating Ideas
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Refrigerator
- Guide to Buying a Cooktop
- Guide to Buying a Dishwasher
- Are Your Doorknobs Dating Your Home?
- Squeaky staircase driving you crazy?
- Cut a Three-Hour House Cleaning Down to 30 Minutes
- Best Way To Clean Your Oven
- Is Your Indoor Air Clean Enough?
- Homegrown Stain Busters
- Transform Your Trash
- How Does Composting Work?
- Finding Vacation Home Bargains
- How Your Home Offices Can Make You More Productive
- Makeover Solutions for Problem Fireplaces
- Cozy Feel of Country Style Is Right for Fall
- Make Your Garden a Late Summer Pit Stop for Migratory Hummingbirds
- Plant Containers: Front and Center
- Blotches on Composite Decking Easily Tackled with Oxygen Bleach
- Fall Cleaning 101
- How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer
- Lamplight too bright?
- Guide to Buying a Kitchen Range
- Transform Boring Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- Rethink Decorating Your Hallways
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Kitchen Makeover on a Budget
- Installing Vinyl Tiles
- When to Replace Your Wall Oven
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- Dynamite Dorm Rooms that Deliver
- 8 Paint Tips Trick Out Your House with Color
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash
- Best Way to Waterproof and Revive Your Deck
- Growing a Green Garden - How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Attractive Flexible Screen Let's the Breeze In
- Set Mood for Evenings on Patio with Homemade Lanterns
- Planet-friendly Parties
- The Flexible Guest House: Adding On by Adding Out
- How to Design a Kitchen Island
- How to Hang Your Flat Screen TV
- How to Slash Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- 5 Easy Ways to Green Your Home
- Create Endless Summer with Seaside Style
- Touch of Patina: What Copper Can Do for Your Garden
- When Buying Garage Door Opener It Pays to Go with Quality
- How Green Is Your Bathroom?
- Grow Your Garden Naturally
- Blowing in the Wind: Flags for the Garden
- Better H2O at Home
- 6 Ways You're Wasting Water Right Now
- Take Steps to Fight a House Fire Before It Starts
- Banish Toxic Dust From Your Home
- With Small Rooms Resist the Urge to Be Minimalist
- Installing a New Kitchen Backsplash
- Feng Shui for Your Home
- Turn a Clean Home Into a Healthy Home
- Coconut Lights Add an Exotic Touch to Summer Nights
- Peaches: Cultivating Backyard Mini-Orchard Not That Hard
- Are You Neglecting Your Barbecue?
- Aromatic Lavender: Not as Hard to Grow as You Might Think
- Installing a Vintage Bathtub
- Master Bedroom Design: Making His and Hers Theirs
- White: The Hot Cool New Color of Interior Design
- Night-Blooming Plants to Impart Scents of Summer
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.