Top 10 Cleaning Myths You Need to Know
Everyone wants a clean house and that light, bright, sanitized feeling you get from commercials for household cleaners. But is all that cleaning realistic - or necessary? Sometimes it is and sometimes it's actually harmful.
Review these myths about keeping a clean house:
Sanitize your toilet. There's no point in trying to sanitize a toilet other than the seat, and even then, it's unlikely you'll get it completely sterilized. Aim for clean, but germ-free? Never.
Clean the disposal in your kitchen sink. Unless you seldom run the disposal, there's no real reason to clean it. To freshen, simply run a cut lemon through the disposal.
Myth 3. Regularly shampoo carpets.
This is a major mistake. It's best not to clean carpets unless they really need it and have big stains. Even then, it's better not to use soaps or cleaners at all but hot steam. If you rent a carpet-cleaning machine, look for one that uses heated water and skip the soap, or hire a carpet cleaning company that steam cleans.
Use specialty cleaners for different surfaces. Besides cluttering up your cabinets, multiple cleaners are no longer necessary. Many multipurpose cleaners can be used on surfaces from stainless steel to tile, glass and wood.
Remove silver tarnish by dipping. Graduate gemologist
"It's sad, but I buy a lot of ruined silver that's been dipped to sell as scrap," says Kendrick. "Once silver is dipped, the surface is altered on a microscopic level and forever loses its beautiful patina." Kendrick recommends a gentle cream cleanser as a better, safer option that won't harm silver. "It takes more time than dipping, but it also won't ruin your family heirloom," she notes.
You can wet mop sealed wood floors. Even new floors with heavy-duty sealants are no match for water that can seep into crevices and become destructive. Always select products made for wood, use them lightly and never with a saturated pad because water-based wood cleaners can damage floors, too.
Clean your drapes regularly. Drapes almost never need cleaning and if you do wash them or have them cleaned, they may not hang right again. Vacuum and shake out drapes to remove dust and let them air out on a sunny day but out of direct sunlight to freshen them up.
Cleaners can remove hard water spots in glass showers. Prevention is the key here. It's better to use a hard water spot preventer such as Rain-X that can be reapplied. The best cleaner for sparkling glass showers? A squeegee after every shower.
Smelling clean is clean. Remember, you can't spray on clean. Clean only happens with elbow grease. Vacuuming, dusting and wiping down surfaces is the only way clean happens.
Comforters can be washed in the machine. This myth is especially true of fiber-filled comforters. Even if the label says washable, don't chance it. Always dry clean bed comforters to avoid a balled, lumpy mess.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Late-Season Bloomers Keep the Garden Party Going
- Top 10 Cleaning Myths You Need to Know
- Sensual Fall Bedroom Fixes Emphasize Easy Opulence
- Fall Is for Planting and Getting Good Deals at the Nursery
- Introducing Privacy to Open Concept Living
- White Kitchen Redux Has Balanced and Timeless Appeal
- Are Net-Zero Energy Houses on the Horizon?
- Easy Home-value Boosters
- The $50 Living Room Makeover
- How to Revive Your Home in a Weekend
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- 10 Great 'Green' Home Improvements for 2011
- Dog Days of August: Time to Think of Planting for Fall
- Top 10 Interior Decorating Mistakes
- Will This Home Renovation Pay Off?
- 9 Reasons to Buy a Newly Built Home
- Fur Fight: Taming Pet Hair in Your Home
- Insect Control Is for the Birds
- Blueberries From Your Own Backyard
- What's My Carbon Footprint?
- Reusing and Recycling 101
- Common Sources of Odor and How to Eliminate the Smell
- Agapanthus: A Beautiful Option for Busy Gardeners
- Here Comes the Sun: Don't Let Summer Heat Deter You from Gardening
- Tips To Help Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- Accessorize Your Home Like a Pro
- A Personal Gym Brings Your Workout Home
- Small-Space Gardening: When the Back 40 Is on Your Porch Railing
- The Way You Water
- 6 Can't Fail Sofa Buying Tips
- Tips for Holding a Successful Garage Sale
- Open Shelves: Designer Trend or Decorating Disaster?
- Stars of the Garden Can Be Leafy Rather Than Blooming
- Cut Back on Summer Spending
- Make Dad's Day With a Customized Home Bar
- How to Lavish Less Labor and More Love on Your Garden
- Banish Bathroom Counter Clutter With Clever Storage
- Creating a Beautiful Garden Can Be as Easy as Getting Dressed in the Morning
- The (Air) Drying Chronicles
- Cooking Ranges: Should You Go Pro?
- Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
- Some of the Best Gardening Happens Where the Sun Doesn't Shine
- How to Cut Your Air-Conditioning Costs
- Moving Day: 10 Ways to Take the Stress Out of Packing
- Feeling Overwhelmed by Garden Tasks? Make a List and Get to Work
- Time to Make Habitat for Returning Birds
- Create A Girl's Bedroom Fit For A Princess
- How Feng Shui Can Improve Your Life
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Go Green and Improve Happiness
- New Uses for Old Things: Household Odds and Ends
- Homeowner Savings Tips: What You Might Not Know
- Sure-to-Please Home Decorating Ideas
- Planting Strawberry Jars for Spring Color
- 5 Elements Guarantee a Perfect Outdoor Living Area
- Paint Your Kitchen 'Green' With These Eco-friendly Tips
- Trends in Painting: Is Faux Over?
- How to Have a Gorgeous and Organized Kitchen
- Shovel-Ready Project: Dividing Your Perennials
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- A Rose Is a Rose Is an Heirloom Rose
- Banquette Seating Makes For Cozy and Comfy Dining
- Controlling Dust in the Home Is a Never-Ending Task
- Fireplace Facelift Not a Job for the Faint of Heart
- Gorgeous and Glamorous Gray Goes the Distance
- Easy Eco-friendly Spring-cleaning
- 30 Top-To-Bottom Spring Cleaning Tips
- Too Cold to Plant? You Can Still Get Ahead of Garden Maintenance
- Area Rugs to the Rescue
- Rarin' to Get Planting? Here's What You Can Do Now
- Freshen Up Your House Whole House For Spring
- Don't Overlook Bulbs of Summer; Now Is Time to Plan Planting
- Time to Ready Your Backyard for Return of Avian Tenants
- You Can Pick Up Furniture Bargains In Unexpected Ways
- No Room for a Cellar? Create a Wine Closet
- Greener Living 101
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health and Your House
- Teen Decor That Puts the Cool in School
- Late Winter Is Time for Pruning and Forcing
- Key to Extraordinary Garden: Starting Your Own Seeds
- Barclay Butera: Create Modern Rooms Simply By Changing the Walls
- Four Common Eco-mistakes
- Are Vinyl Shower Curtains Safe?
- Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
- Wanna Get Away? Tropical Plants Can Help
- 10 Sneaky Ways to Get Organized
- A Better Load of Laundry
- Everyday Chores Get Greener
- Soothe Winter's Chill With a Steam Shower
- Houseplants Add Life to Your Winter
- Is Your Bedroom Decor Keeping You up?
- Seed Catalogs Trumpet the Promise of Spring
- Turning Down the Thermostat? Your Cyclamen Will Thank You
- A Room With a View: Clever Decorating Can Improve Your Vista
- Get Your Kitchen Drawers Organized Once and For All
- 10 New Year's Resolutions For Your Living Space
- Fantastic Faux Finishes
- Evergreens Add Color: Interest in Otherwise Dull Winter Landscape
- What to Do in a Frozen Pipe Emergency
Copyright © 2011, Living Space. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC