Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
You've stowed away the cashmere turtlenecks and taken out the cotton halters, swapped winter's berry and plum lipsticks for sheer pinks and corals.
Now, it's time to give your home a warm-weather makeover too. Doing this is easier and less expensive than you may think, says Stephen Tomar, a Los Angeles-based interior designer whose clients have included Barbra Streisand and Valerie Bertinelli.
"You want your home to have the look of a cool glass of lemonade on a hot day," he says. "And you can do that with a few small touches, some creativity and a very modest budget."
Roll up the heavy rugs
And put down a summery sisal, jute or sea-grass floor covering instead. If you have wall-to-wall carpeting, just lay your natural-fiber area rug on top. You can buy rugs with fabric borders at stores like Pottery Barn, or purchase sisal or jute cut to measure at Home Depot.
Rotate in accessories made of natural fabrics
Like raffia placemats, a linen table runner and bamboo serving bowls. Check out Pier One's affordable collection of home textiles.
Lighten up heavy upholstery
Like velvet, chenille and mohair by tucking remnants of cool fabrics, such as chambray or seersucker, around loose back and seat cushions. Find the remnants at a fabric outlet and use sticky-back Velcro tape to keep them in place.
Add tropical sounds and smells.
"There's a wonderful sense of sound in the summertime," says S. Lee Wright, a New York City designer who specializes in feng shui. "Adding chimes throughout the home when the doors and windows are open to the breeze helps create the feeling of well-being that comes with a beach holiday." Smells capture summer too. Choose a fragrance diffuse like Crabtree & Evelyn's India Hicks Island Living, with notes of casuarinas trees, orange blossoms and sea air.
Shelley Levitt, managing editor of The Style Glossy, is a former West Coast editor of Self and senior writer at People.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Cooking Ranges: Should You Go Pro?
- Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
- Some of the Best Gardening Happens Where the Sun Doesn't Shine
- How to Cut Your Air-Conditioning Costs
- Moving Day: 10 Ways to Take the Stress Out of Packing
- Feeling Overwhelmed by Garden Tasks? Make a List and Get to Work
- Time to Make Habitat for Returning Birds
- Create A Girl's Bedroom Fit For A Princess
- How Feng Shui Can Improve Your Life
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Go Green and Improve Happiness
- New Uses for Old Things: Household Odds and Ends
- Homeowner Savings Tips: What You Might Not Know
- Sure-to-Please Home Decorating Ideas
- Planting Strawberry Jars for Spring Color
- 5 Elements Guarantee a Perfect Outdoor Living Area
- Paint Your Kitchen 'Green' With These Eco-friendly Tips
- Trends in Painting: Is Faux Over?
- How to Have a Gorgeous and Organized Kitchen
- Shovel-Ready Project: Dividing Your Perennials
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- A Rose Is a Rose Is an Heirloom Rose
- Banquette Seating Makes For Cozy and Comfy Dining
- Controlling Dust in the Home Is a Never-Ending Task
- Fireplace Facelift Not a Job for the Faint of Heart
- Gorgeous and Glamorous Gray Goes the Distance
- Easy Eco-friendly Spring-cleaning
- 30 Top-To-Bottom Spring Cleaning Tips
- Too Cold to Plant? You Can Still Get Ahead of Garden Maintenance
- Area Rugs to the Rescue
- Rarin' to Get Planting? Here's What You Can Do Now
- Freshen Up Your House Whole House For Spring
- Don't Overlook Bulbs of Summer; Now Is Time to Plan Planting
- Time to Ready Your Backyard for Return of Avian Tenants
- You Can Pick Up Furniture Bargains In Unexpected Ways
- No Room for a Cellar? Create a Wine Closet
- Greener Living 101
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health and Your House
- Teen Decor That Puts the Cool in School
- Late Winter Is Time for Pruning and Forcing
- Key to Extraordinary Garden: Starting Your Own Seeds
- Barclay Butera: Create Modern Rooms Simply By Changing the Walls
- Four Common Eco-mistakes
- Are Vinyl Shower Curtains Safe?
- Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
- Wanna Get Away? Tropical Plants Can Help
- 10 Sneaky Ways to Get Organized
- A Better Load of Laundry
- Everyday Chores Get Greener
- Soothe Winter's Chill With a Steam Shower
- Houseplants Add Life to Your Winter
- Is Your Bedroom Decor Keeping You up?
- Seed Catalogs Trumpet the Promise of Spring
- Turning Down the Thermostat? Your Cyclamen Will Thank You
- A Room With a View: Clever Decorating Can Improve Your Vista
- Get Your Kitchen Drawers Organized Once and For All
- 10 New Year's Resolutions For Your Living Space
- Fantastic Faux Finishes
- Evergreens Add Color: Interest in Otherwise Dull Winter Landscape
- What to Do in a Frozen Pipe Emergency
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.