White Kitchen Redux Has Balanced and Timeless Appeal
White Kitchen Redux Has Balanced and Timeless Appeal
Whether in a farmhouse, contemporary, or traditional style, the white kitchen has an elegance and appeal that defies time. Two decades ago, the stark white kitchen seemed more suited to surgery than cooking and family togetherness. Today's designs do away with sterility and embrace a warm, welcoming white tone.
CLEAN, CRISP WHITE
Creating a white kitchen starts with choosing the right shade of white. Not all white defines a kitchen as both crisp and cozy. The bright, clear white that was so common pre-Internet is decidedly out. Today's whites have a tinge of color that can range from blue to yellow, green or umber. This small amount of color makes today's white warmer and more accessible.
THE RIGHT BALANCE
What makes a comfortable white kitchen and separates it from those of the past is the blending of wood and stainless steel. Whereas bright white kitchens formerly had white appliances, today's ovens and refrigerators are stainless. Set against a backdrop of warm white cabinets, stainless appliances seem less clinical.
Another important element for warming up white kitchens is wood. The contrast of the wood against white color makes the wood tones stand out more. Also, the organic quality of a wood floor makes a white kitchen more friendly and approachable compared to the same kitchen with a tile floor. Wood countertops pop against white cabinets and make a white kitchen more inviting and timeless, too.
White makes the most of every design opportunity. Whether you're trying to match dishes or select a wall color, a white kitchen is adaptable. Much like white jeans, a white kitchen makes everything set against it look better. It's an easy, clean backdrop for almost any kind of design or style. A white kitchen is a huge plus if your kitchen is small, too. Better still, if you're looking to renovate or want to sell your home, a white kitchen is the natural choice. The look is crisp and classic, and homebuyers can easily see putting their own stamp on the kitchen.
Adding a coat of white paint on your kitchen cabinets is an easy update that's both cost- and space-effective, making the most of a renovation budget while creating an open, fresh-looking space. If you're ready to tackle the project, select a high quality, semi-gloss paint. Because cabinets take a beating, a good quality paint will stand up to the wear and tear.
A white kitchen conjures up images of charming country farmhouses and seaside cottages, places people love to get together. If it's time to refresh this key gathering spot in your home, consider going back to white.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Fall Is for Planting and Getting Good Deals at the Nursery
- Introducing Privacy to Open Concept Living
- White Kitchen Redux Has Balanced and Timeless Appeal
- Are Net-Zero Energy Houses on the Horizon?
- Easy Home-value Boosters
- The $50 Living Room Makeover
- How to Revive Your Home in a Weekend
- The Planet-Friendly Kitchen
- 10 Great 'Green' Home Improvements for 2011
- Dog Days of August: Time to Think of Planting for Fall
- Top 10 Interior Decorating Mistakes
- Will This Home Renovation Pay Off?
- 9 Reasons to Buy a Newly Built Home
- Fur Fight: Taming Pet Hair in Your Home
- Insect Control Is for the Birds
- Blueberries From Your Own Backyard
- What's My Carbon Footprint?
- Reusing and Recycling 101
- Common Sources of Odor and How to Eliminate the Smell
- Agapanthus: A Beautiful Option for Busy Gardeners
- Here Comes the Sun: Don't Let Summer Heat Deter You from Gardening
- Tips To Help Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- Accessorize Your Home Like a Pro
- A Personal Gym Brings Your Workout Home
- Small-Space Gardening: When the Back 40 Is on Your Porch Railing
- The Way You Water
- 6 Can't Fail Sofa Buying Tips
- Tips for Holding a Successful Garage Sale
- Open Shelves: Designer Trend or Decorating Disaster?
- Stars of the Garden Can Be Leafy Rather Than Blooming
- Cut Back on Summer Spending
- Make Dad's Day With a Customized Home Bar
- How to Lavish Less Labor and More Love on Your Garden
- Banish Bathroom Counter Clutter With Clever Storage
- Creating a Beautiful Garden Can Be as Easy as Getting Dressed in the Morning
- The (Air) Drying Chronicles
- Cooking Ranges: Should You Go Pro?
- Tweak Your Home Decor for Summer
- Some of the Best Gardening Happens Where the Sun Doesn't Shine
- How to Cut Your Air-Conditioning Costs
- Moving Day: 10 Ways to Take the Stress Out of Packing
- Feeling Overwhelmed by Garden Tasks? Make a List and Get to Work
- Time to Make Habitat for Returning Birds
- Create A Girl's Bedroom Fit For A Princess
- How Feng Shui Can Improve Your Life
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Go Green and Improve Happiness
- New Uses for Old Things: Household Odds and Ends
- Homeowner Savings Tips: What You Might Not Know
- Sure-to-Please Home Decorating Ideas
- Planting Strawberry Jars for Spring Color
- 5 Elements Guarantee a Perfect Outdoor Living Area
- Paint Your Kitchen 'Green' With These Eco-friendly Tips
- Trends in Painting: Is Faux Over?
- How to Have a Gorgeous and Organized Kitchen
- Shovel-Ready Project: Dividing Your Perennials
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- A Rose Is a Rose Is an Heirloom Rose
- Banquette Seating Makes For Cozy and Comfy Dining
- Controlling Dust in the Home Is a Never-Ending Task
- Fireplace Facelift Not a Job for the Faint of Heart
- Gorgeous and Glamorous Gray Goes the Distance
- Easy Eco-friendly Spring-cleaning
- 30 Top-To-Bottom Spring Cleaning Tips
- Too Cold to Plant? You Can Still Get Ahead of Garden Maintenance
- Area Rugs to the Rescue
- Rarin' to Get Planting? Here's What You Can Do Now
- Freshen Up Your House Whole House For Spring
- Don't Overlook Bulbs of Summer; Now Is Time to Plan Planting
- Time to Ready Your Backyard for Return of Avian Tenants
- You Can Pick Up Furniture Bargains In Unexpected Ways
- No Room for a Cellar? Create a Wine Closet
- Greener Living 101
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health and Your House
- Teen Decor That Puts the Cool in School
- Late Winter Is Time for Pruning and Forcing
- Key to Extraordinary Garden: Starting Your Own Seeds
- Barclay Butera: Create Modern Rooms Simply By Changing the Walls
- Four Common Eco-mistakes
- Are Vinyl Shower Curtains Safe?
- Where to Save and Where to Spend on Interior Decorating
- Wanna Get Away? Tropical Plants Can Help
- 10 Sneaky Ways to Get Organized
- A Better Load of Laundry
- Everyday Chores Get Greener
- Soothe Winter's Chill With a Steam Shower
- Houseplants Add Life to Your Winter
- Is Your Bedroom Decor Keeping You up?
- Seed Catalogs Trumpet the Promise of Spring
- Turning Down the Thermostat? Your Cyclamen Will Thank You
- A Room With a View: Clever Decorating Can Improve Your Vista
- Get Your Kitchen Drawers Organized Once and For All
- 10 New Year's Resolutions For Your Living Space
- Fantastic Faux Finishes
- Evergreens Add Color: Interest in Otherwise Dull Winter Landscape
- What to Do in a Frozen Pipe Emergency
Copyright © 2011, Living Space. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC