5 Ways to Revamp Your Outdoor Space
by Beatrice Strnad
There's no need to spend money (or time) on an outdoor renovation: There are plenty of ways you can revamp your outdoor space without spending a chunk of change by using what you already have at home.
Give your furniture a makeover
The easiest way to spruce up outdoor furniture is by adding pillows. You can fashion new covers out of an old tablecloth or shower curtain or add design elements to the ones you currently have, such as with this easy leaf print design. You can even make pillows out of those plastic bags you amass from the grocery store, no joke. And if you feel your furniture needs more than just new pillows, try refinishing them or paining them a new color. It's still cheaper than buying a new set.
Let there be light!
Why let those Christmas lights go to waste in hibernation for the holidays? Instead, turn your holiday lights into a string of outdoor lanterns. For smaller lights, you can use ping-pong balls to make orbs of light, fold paper into origami lantern cubes or cut felt into floral fringe. For rounder, larger bulbs, this dyed cheesecloth DIY can transform your lights into bulbs of color that add decorative touch even when they're turned off.
Recycle and reuse old pieces of wood
Wooden pallets, sticks that have fallen off trees and other scraps of wood can be used to add interest and make over almost any aspect of your outdoor space. You can turn dirt into a wooden walkway; add an artisanal touch to a glass table; and glue sticks around a glass or bore tea-light-sized holes in a small log to make candle holders. You can also use wooden sticks, spoons or even tongue depressors to label the flowers, herbs, produce and trees in your garden (this is especially fun for kids and guests!).
Put unused containers to use
Wooden boxes and baskets make especially great planters, but any old container will do. In fact, the more interesting, the better (old toys, teacups, etc.). Fill your chosen container up with dirt and plant as you would in a pot. You can also turn containers and other concave objects into bird baths and feeders.
Roll yourself an outdoor rug
Do you have a tablecloth you bought and perhaps only used a few times? All you need to do is roll on a couple coats of some water-based polyurethane (about $10 a can) and you've got yourself an outdoor rug. It's a great way to add a pop of color or deign to a patio floor.
Don't feel in the mood for DIY projects? The simplest way to refresh your outdoor space is just to rearrange your furniture, plants and other décor in a new way.
- Top Kitchen Design Trends in 2018
- Home Remodeling Projects Sure to Brighten Your Home
- Upping Your Laundry Room's Wow Factor
- Transform Your Kitchen with an Updated Sink
- How to Make Your Bathroom Enjoyable
- How to Infuse Life into Your Bathroom
- Budget-Friendly Master Bathroom Upgrades You'll Cherish
- 5 DIY Projects That Will Reinvent Your Bathroom in a Weekend
Cut Expenses Without Cutting Corners On Your Bathroom Remodel
- The Beauty of Barn Doors
- How to Design a Quiet Home Office
- Best Time to BBQ
- The Best Things About Gardening
- Fun In The Summer Sun: Tips To Beat The Heat
- Fashion Influences Gardening Trends For Easy, Eye-Catching Flowers
- 6 Steps to Grow a Garden Anywhere
- How to Make Your Yard an Outdoor Oasis
- An Easy Patio Makeover
- Big Ideas For Small Patios
- Creating The Perfect Outdoor Kitchen
- 5 Green Home Improvements To Help Sell Your Home For More
- Top Trends in Vegetable Gardening
- 5 Simple Projects To Recreate Your Backyard
- Outdoor Living Plumbing Possibilities
- Hardworking Kitchens with Style
- The Power of a Powder Room Addition
- Bathroom Designs That Don't Have To Cost A Bundle
- Bathroom Design Trends That Marry Luxury, Beauty And Sensibility
- High-Tech Bathroom Upgrades
- The Home Design Trend to Know About
- Why Millennials Love Gardening
- Natural Ways To Keep Roses Radiant
- Top 5 Gardening Trends
- The Best-Looking Lawn For Your Time & Money
- How To Make Summer Lawn Care Easier
- Lawn: Seed, Weed and Feed Checklist
- Small-Space Gardens: Easy Tips For Homegrown Flavors
- 3 Backyard Projects You Can Tackle
- Know What's Below: Call 811 Before Digging
- Upgrades to Boost Home Energy Efficiency
- Top 6 Home Decorating Trends
- Confused by TV Technology? Read This
- Enhance Curb Appeal With An Eye-Catching Front Door
- Shortcuts To Make Your Home Sparkle
- Yield Big Water Savings in Bathrooms
- Common Myths About Raising Poultry
Article: Copyright © 2018, Studio One.