Are 'Green' Cleaning Products Effective?
by Monique Valeris
Sure, green products are good for the earth and smell good (sometimes), but do they really stand up to tough household jobs? We find out.
A regular cleaning routine that rids your space of dust and allergens is key to maintaining a healthy home environment. It's no secret that conventional cleaning products can contain chemicals that are hazardous to your health and the environment. For this reason, "green" cleaning products are a viable alternative.
Green cleaning products come from plants and animals, don't contain harsh chemicals and are derived from biodegradable ingredients. They can be effective, but not all green cleaners are created equal. Some may require a bit more elbow grease than traditional products to get tough household jobs done to your liking, especially if you're used to cleaning with products that contain bleach.
To make cleaning easier, it's always best to do chores regularly to prevent excessive dirt build-up that would make it more difficult for a natural cleaner to perform.
Homemade Natural Cleaners
Don't think you always have to run to the store to purchase your green cleaning products. Homemade cleaners are just as effective and cost less than traditional products. For example, simple hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar can kill mold. Or combine either of those with baking soda to create a paste that you can use to scrub stubborn bathroom scum or a kitchen sink.
Here are some other home cleaning remedies:
Windows and Countertops:
White vinegar is also great for cleaning windows as well as sanitizing kitchen counters and cutting boards (be sure to use hot water)
Use a damp microfiber cloth to clear dust and gently wipe pieces down with olive or lemon oil to make surfaces shine
A little club soda and a rag are perfect for cleaning carpet stains
However, keep in mind that it's best to use a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency-registered disinfectant to be completely sure you are killing bacteria such as E. coli.
That said, green cleaners are worth considering. While there may be some instances where you prefer a traditional cleaner to complete a tough household job quickly, try using products that reduce your exposure to harsh chemicals. Anything you can do to better protect your health is worth the effort.
- Top Kitchen Design Trends in 2018
- Home Remodeling Projects Sure to Brighten Your Home
- Upping Your Laundry Room's Wow Factor
- Transform Your Kitchen with an Updated Sink
- How to Make Your Bathroom Enjoyable
- How to Infuse Life into Your Bathroom
- Budget-Friendly Master Bathroom Upgrades You'll Cherish
- 5 DIY Projects That Will Reinvent Your Bathroom in a Weekend
Cut Expenses Without Cutting Corners On Your Bathroom Remodel
- The Beauty of Barn Doors
- How to Design a Quiet Home Office
- Best Time to BBQ
- The Best Things About Gardening
- Fun In The Summer Sun: Tips To Beat The Heat
- Fashion Influences Gardening Trends For Easy, Eye-Catching Flowers
- 6 Steps to Grow a Garden Anywhere
- How to Make Your Yard an Outdoor Oasis
- An Easy Patio Makeover
- Big Ideas For Small Patios
- Creating The Perfect Outdoor Kitchen
- 5 Green Home Improvements To Help Sell Your Home For More
- Top Trends in Vegetable Gardening
- 5 Simple Projects To Recreate Your Backyard
- Outdoor Living Plumbing Possibilities
- Hardworking Kitchens with Style
- The Power of a Powder Room Addition
- Bathroom Designs That Don't Have To Cost A Bundle
- Bathroom Design Trends That Marry Luxury, Beauty And Sensibility
- High-Tech Bathroom Upgrades
- The Home Design Trend to Know About
- Why Millennials Love Gardening
- Natural Ways To Keep Roses Radiant
- Top 5 Gardening Trends
- The Best-Looking Lawn For Your Time & Money
- How To Make Summer Lawn Care Easier
- Lawn: Seed, Weed and Feed Checklist
- Small-Space Gardens: Easy Tips For Homegrown Flavors
- 3 Backyard Projects You Can Tackle
- Know What's Below: Call 811 Before Digging
- Upgrades to Boost Home Energy Efficiency
- Top 6 Home Decorating Trends
- Confused by TV Technology? Read This
- Enhance Curb Appeal With An Eye-Catching Front Door
- Shortcuts To Make Your Home Sparkle
- Yield Big Water Savings in Bathrooms
- Common Myths About Raising Poultry
Article: Copyright © 2018, Studio One.