Create Your Dream Bedroom
by Aly Walansky
Turn your sleeping quarters into a romantic and luxurious getaway
Our bedroom is said to be our oasis -- the place where we relax, recharge, reconnect with our mate and feel our most sexy and at peace. It's in many ways the most important room in the house, but one that often gets cluttered or neglected, and feels anything but serene.
To help you bring calm back to your bedroom, we sought out some pointers from a place that always makes people feel blissfully at ease: a luxurious and well-appointed hotel.
Here, how to create that retreat-like, romantic environment within your own bedroom.
1. The most important piece is the bed
The quality of a mattress can make or break your sleep -- and is what you remember most about those amazing hotel rooms. "Does your mattress still feel right for you? When was the last time you bought one? Our bodies change and our needs for mattress and pillow firmness as well as even temperature control changes with it," says Sleepy's consultant Debi Silber.
To add a touch of luxury, make sure you buy a bed with a headboard and footboard. For a sumptuous boudoir effect, use a lot of soft pillows, and decorate in calming colors, like aqua. Avoid bold hues that can stimulate you before bedtime. Invest in the most luxurious bedding your budget can afford -- blankets and sheets that make you want to linger in bed a little longer.
Don't skimp on details. Hotel visitors notice small things like fresh linens, clean windows with open curtains and blinds, and fresh flowers. Re-create the atmosphere in the bedroom by lightly spritzing linens with a lightly fragranced linen spray. Clean windows with a vinegar solution for a streak-free shine, and bring in spring with a fresh floral bouquet.
2. A cluttered room is usually a sign of a cluttered mind
This is also true when dealing with décor. Never pile things around or under the bed. Store your winter sweaters under the guest room bed or in a closet. Likewise, keep magazines and other chaos off of your nightstand. Reserve that space for a lamp, bottle of water, and a good book. Your phone should be out of sight! A clean, organized space will do wonders to relieve stress.
3. Lighting is key
Illuminating your bedroom with a variety of light sources can make it feel romantic. In addition to an overhead light, use bedside lamps or wall sconces -- as well as strategically placed mirrors that reflect the light. Place a table lamp in a dark corner, or try something fun like salt rocks on your bedside table, which can create a soft, sexy glow and fill your room with restorative energy.
4. Soft music and essential oil fragrances
Lavender can be used to fill the air with a sensuous and relaxing spa feel. Remember, this is an area to restore and nourish our relationships and ourselves. Pairs of things are important, especially bedside tables. Some experts believe that placing similarly sized objects side by side helps manifest healthy relationships.
5. Watch your diet
What is the last thing you ate or drank before you went to bed? "Taste is even a factor - the last thing you ingest before bed should not involve too much sugar or spice! Perhaps consider sleep beverages or herbal teas -- cherry juice is touted to help sleep as well!" says Silber.
- Balance the Energy in Your Home
- Ways to Create Calm in Your Home
- Check Out These Smart Sensors for Your Home
- Devices that Lower Your Energy Bill
- 10-Minute Home Repairs
- Safeguard Your Home Against Burglars
- 5 Top Home Security Systems
- Do I Need a Home Security System?
- 5 Ways to Revamp Your Outdoor Space
- Pruning Tips for Trees and Shrubs
- Urban Gardening
- Plumbing Gadgets of the Future
- Energy-Efficient Roof Options for Your Home
- All Hands on Deck: How to Build a Deck
- How Often You Should Repaint Your Home
- Build Your Own Water Feature
- Spring Composting 101
- Sprucing up Your Lawn
- What are Some Alternatives to Grass?
- Green Technologies for the Home
- Are 'Green' Cleaning Products Effective?
- Window Shopping
- How to Choose the Best Carpet
- Essential Woodworking Tools
- Flooring for Your Garage
- Spring Cleaning Your Garage
- Garage Storage: All Your Stuff and a Car to Boot
- Spring Cleaning Storage Solutions
- Tuning up Power Equipment for Spring
- Say Hello to Spring
- The Perfect Pillow
- Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Build a Shed in Time for Spring
- Five Ways to Spruce Up Your Home This Season
- Spring Refresh: Tips for Organizing Small Spaces
- Outdoor Motion Lights for Home Safety and Security
- Paving Options for Driveways
- Create Your Dream Bedroom
- A Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
- Conserving Water in the Garden
- Great Fall Gardens: How to Get the Look
- 10 Steps to a Beautiful Fall Garden
- Easy Lawn Repair Tips to Get Your Yard in Shape
- How to Grow a Designer Garden for Less
- Disguise an Ugly Wood Floor With Paint
- How to Style Bookshelves Like a Pro
- Eco-Friendly Appliances: Should You Go Green?
- Window Weather Proofing
- Clever Eco-Friendly Uses for Plastic Bags
- Eco-Friendly Home: DIY Cleaning Products
- Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
- Window Treatments 101
- Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs
- How to Paint Outdoor Pots
- Go Green Indoors: Five Easy Houseplants to Grow
- Great Ways to Kill Your Houseplants
- Perennial Buying Guide
- Lighten Up: Expert Landscape Lighting Tips
- Spring Garden Preparation 101
- Tips for Air-Conditioner Upkeep
- Ways to Make Your Home Eco-Friendly in 10 Minutes or Less
- Easy Energy Savers for Your Home
- Get-Healthy Kitchen Gadgets
- Spring-inspired Home Accessories
- Affordable Bath Updates
- How to Decorate with Houseplants
- 10 Things Every Man Cave Needs
Article: Copyright © 2017, Studio One.
Home & Garden: "Create Your Dream Bedroom"