Five Ways to Spruce Up Your Home This Season
by Lauren Fischer
Knee-deep in spring-cleaning?
This may be the right time to not only tidy up, but makeover your home too with some spring style. Color changes and unique accessories can make a facelift easy and inexpensive.
Reuse, recycle and rearrange
The most simple and low-cost way to update a room in your home is to rearrange the furniture. Move sofas closer to the windows or place sitting chairs at an angle to give a room new life. Switch up pillows and throws throughout the house by changing what room you use them in and update photo frames with new family pictures from the year. The best part: It's all free!
Accessorize with pops of color
Swap neutrals and dark tones for lively robin-egg blue, bright yellow or bold red.
"One pop of these colors in artwork or a lamp always brightens a room," says Vanessa De Vargas, owner of the interior design firm Turquoise. Make an old piece new again, such as a side table, with spray-paint. "These personal items become conversation pieces that tell a special story."
Bring in patterns
Instantly update multiple rooms by swapping heavy, dark linens for light fabrics. "Brighten a sofa with colorful patterned throw pillows; place a patterned blanket over the arm of your sofa or end of the bed; and use colorful striped towels in the bathroom for a clean resort look," says De Vargas. Lastly, trade dark drapes for bright shades, which will add luz and warmth to a room.
Paint an accent wall
Painting an accent wall in a main room of your home is the perfect statement-making, yet inexpensive update. "If you want to think a little outside the box, stencil a design against the back wall of your dining room."
Lauren Fischer is a freelance writer who has contributed to Woman's World, People, Makeup Deal of the Day and SavvyMiss.com.
- Balance the Energy in Your Home
- Ways to Create Calm in Your Home
- Check Out These Smart Sensors for Your Home
- Devices that Lower Your Energy Bill
- 10-Minute Home Repairs
- Safeguard Your Home Against Burglars
- 5 Top Home Security Systems
- Do I Need a Home Security System?
- 5 Ways to Revamp Your Outdoor Space
- Pruning Tips for Trees and Shrubs
- Urban Gardening
- Plumbing Gadgets of the Future
- Energy-Efficient Roof Options for Your Home
- All Hands on Deck: How to Build a Deck
- How Often You Should Repaint Your Home
- Build Your Own Water Feature
- Spring Composting 101
- Sprucing up Your Lawn
- What are Some Alternatives to Grass?
- Green Technologies for the Home
- Are 'Green' Cleaning Products Effective?
- Window Shopping
- How to Choose the Best Carpet
- Essential Woodworking Tools
- Flooring for Your Garage
- Spring Cleaning Your Garage
- Garage Storage: All Your Stuff and a Car to Boot
- Spring Cleaning Storage Solutions
- Tuning up Power Equipment for Spring
- Say Hello to Spring
- The Perfect Pillow
- Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Build a Shed in Time for Spring
- Five Ways to Spruce Up Your Home This Season
- Spring Refresh: Tips for Organizing Small Spaces
- Outdoor Motion Lights for Home Safety and Security
- Paving Options for Driveways
- Create Your Dream Bedroom
- A Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
- Conserving Water in the Garden
- Great Fall Gardens: How to Get the Look
- 10 Steps to a Beautiful Fall Garden
- Easy Lawn Repair Tips to Get Your Yard in Shape
- How to Grow a Designer Garden for Less
- Disguise an Ugly Wood Floor With Paint
- How to Style Bookshelves Like a Pro
- Eco-Friendly Appliances: Should You Go Green?
- Window Weather Proofing
- Clever Eco-Friendly Uses for Plastic Bags
- Eco-Friendly Home: DIY Cleaning Products
- Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
- Window Treatments 101
- Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs
- How to Paint Outdoor Pots
- Go Green Indoors: Five Easy Houseplants to Grow
- Great Ways to Kill Your Houseplants
- Perennial Buying Guide
- Lighten Up: Expert Landscape Lighting Tips
- Spring Garden Preparation 101
- Tips for Air-Conditioner Upkeep
- Ways to Make Your Home Eco-Friendly in 10 Minutes or Less
- Easy Energy Savers for Your Home
- Get-Healthy Kitchen Gadgets
- Spring-inspired Home Accessories
- Affordable Bath Updates
- How to Decorate with Houseplants
- 10 Things Every Man Cave Needs
Article: Copyright © 2017, Studio One.