Green Technologies for the Home
by Nate Edwards
The National Association of Home Builders' International Builders' Show is our annual opportunity to take a peek into the future of home construction.
This year's event in Las Vegas featured some especially innovative exhibitions, and "green tech" seemed to be the reoccurring theme. Here are a few "green" highlights.
WaterFurnace Geothermal Heat Pump Series 7
Any old geothermal heating and cooling system is a green alternative to propane heat, but the Series 7 is leaps and bounds ahead of its competition when it comes to efficiency. The system's main features are its variable speed blower and pump, which use only as much power as necessary to keep things comfy inside. In energy efficiency tests, the Series 7 was shown to be 30 percent more efficient than competing geothermal systems.
Sun Freedom America Solar Water Heaters
Sun Freedom America might scoff if you said their solar water heaters were brand new technology; they've been making such water heaters for 56 years, after all. But the company's newest generation of products continues its tradition of keeping up with -- or exceeding -- the features necessary for tax credits and other green home building incentives.
This year's "Best Home Technology Product" award actually went to a water heater, which is not a common occurrence. The Trutankless is a sleek and modern-looking tankless water heating system which claims to use 50 percent less energy than traditional heaters. That factoid (and the system's handy smartphone app) generated a lot of buzz at this year's show.
Nate Edwards is a New York-based freelance writer from the Blue Ridge Mountains of South Carolina, where he worked in the family furniture store making beds, dressers and anything made of wood. He's as comfortable swinging a hammer for community volunteer projects as he is writing about home renovation
- Balance the Energy in Your Home
- Ways to Create Calm in Your Home
- Check Out These Smart Sensors for Your Home
- Devices that Lower Your Energy Bill
- 10-Minute Home Repairs
- Safeguard Your Home Against Burglars
- 5 Top Home Security Systems
- Do I Need a Home Security System?
- 5 Ways to Revamp Your Outdoor Space
- Pruning Tips for Trees and Shrubs
- Urban Gardening
- Plumbing Gadgets of the Future
- Energy-Efficient Roof Options for Your Home
- All Hands on Deck: How to Build a Deck
- How Often You Should Repaint Your Home
- Build Your Own Water Feature
- Spring Composting 101
- Sprucing up Your Lawn
- What are Some Alternatives to Grass?
- Green Technologies for the Home
- Are 'Green' Cleaning Products Effective?
- Window Shopping
- How to Choose the Best Carpet
- Essential Woodworking Tools
- Flooring for Your Garage
- Spring Cleaning Your Garage
- Garage Storage: All Your Stuff and a Car to Boot
- Spring Cleaning Storage Solutions
- Tuning up Power Equipment for Spring
- Say Hello to Spring
- The Perfect Pillow
- Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Build a Shed in Time for Spring
- Five Ways to Spruce Up Your Home This Season
- Spring Refresh: Tips for Organizing Small Spaces
- Outdoor Motion Lights for Home Safety and Security
- Paving Options for Driveways
- Create Your Dream Bedroom
- A Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
- Conserving Water in the Garden
- Great Fall Gardens: How to Get the Look
- 10 Steps to a Beautiful Fall Garden
- Easy Lawn Repair Tips to Get Your Yard in Shape
- How to Grow a Designer Garden for Less
- Disguise an Ugly Wood Floor With Paint
- How to Style Bookshelves Like a Pro
- Eco-Friendly Appliances: Should You Go Green?
- Window Weather Proofing
- Clever Eco-Friendly Uses for Plastic Bags
- Eco-Friendly Home: DIY Cleaning Products
- Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
- Window Treatments 101
- Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs
- How to Paint Outdoor Pots
- Go Green Indoors: Five Easy Houseplants to Grow
- Great Ways to Kill Your Houseplants
- Perennial Buying Guide
- Lighten Up: Expert Landscape Lighting Tips
- Spring Garden Preparation 101
- Tips for Air-Conditioner Upkeep
- Ways to Make Your Home Eco-Friendly in 10 Minutes or Less
- Easy Energy Savers for Your Home
- Get-Healthy Kitchen Gadgets
- Spring-inspired Home Accessories
- Affordable Bath Updates
- How to Decorate with Houseplants
- 10 Things Every Man Cave Needs
Article: Copyright © 2016, Studio One.
"Green Technologies for the Home"