Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
by Allison Lind
Learn the ins and outs of paint finishes to take on your next interior decor project like a pro
Flat, eggshell, satin, gloss: When it comes to interior decor, there are a lot of confusing terms, but at least the names for paint finishes are fairly straightforward. Even the most novice painter can guess what's what.
Flat (or matte) is a smooth surface without luster. Eggshell resembles its namesake. Satin has a subtle sheen reminiscent of the popular fabric. And gloss is, well, glossy.
When shopping for paints you're faced with the inevitable question: What finish? To sheen or not to sheen? But there's so much more behind choosing a paint finish than just their names. Some finishes work better than others in high-traffic areas. Some hide imperfections that are common in older buildings. And others add extra pizazz for home decor projects.
The next time you're choosing paint finishes, use this user-friendly paint-finish guide -- with some expert input courtesy of international color expert and designer Maria Killam -- to help you find your perfect paint.
A Quick-Reference Guide to Paint Finishes
The Finish: Flat (aka Matte)
Lacking any sheen whatsoever, flat paint is light-absorbing with a smooth finish. The flat paint finish hides imperfections but also holds dirt and is difficult to clean -- rubbing it with cleanser may even damage the finish.
Living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, hallways and ceilings. "If you have walls with a lot of imperfections, flat hides them," Killam says. "And ceilings should be flat for that same reason."
Good to Know
It's a good idea to keep extra paint on hand to touch up nicks and scratches in flat finishes.
The Finish: Eggshell (aka Low-Luster)
This low-sheen paint finish resembles the shell of an egg (so, no, the name is not a coincidence). Eggshell paint absorbs light just like its flat counterpart above. It's best used in lower-traffic areas, and is easier to clean than flat.
Living rooms, dining rooms, kitchens, bedrooms, entryways, hallways and trims. "I like walls to have a little shine, so I always specify eggshell for the main rooms in a house, hallways, living and family rooms," Killam says.
The Finish: Satin (aka Pearl, with certain paint brands)
A subtle finish with a soft sheen that reflects light. This is one of the most versatile finishes as it falls in the middle of the spectrum. It can be wiped clean with ease, making it ideal for active areas.
Kitchens, dining rooms, children's bedrooms, guest or powder baths, laundry rooms, trims, doors and shutters. "Satin is great for bathrooms and kitchens thanks to its high scrub-ability," Killam says.
The Finish: Semigloss
A step up in sheen from satin, semigloss paint finish reflects more light. It can be scrubbed to keep clean, so it's a great choice in areas with high traffic.
Kitchens, bathrooms, hallways, cabinets, doors, trims and moldings. "If you are using latex paint for trim and doors, a higher sheen will give you more durability," Killam says.
The Finish: Gloss
Gloss paint finishes come with a smooth, high-shine sheen. (Opt for high-gloss paint for the light-reflecting extreme of paint finishes.) Gloss can be scrubbed clean without concern for the finish, so it's ideal for areas that most often require washing.
Kitchens, baths, trims, woodwork, moldings, doors and cabinets. "If you opt to use a high-gloss finish to create an interesting sheen effect, such as on a ceiling or powder room," Killam says, "spray it on to prevent roller or brush marks in the final finish."
Allison Lind is a home decor and home improvement expert who has extensively written on the topics since 2004. For two years, she worked with home improvement celebrity Ty Pennington, of ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."
- Top Kitchen Design Trends in 2018
- Home Remodeling Projects Sure to Brighten Your Home
- Upping Your Laundry Room's Wow Factor
- Transform Your Kitchen with an Updated Sink
- How to Make Your Bathroom Enjoyable
- How to Infuse Life into Your Bathroom
- Budget-Friendly Master Bathroom Upgrades You'll Cherish
- 5 DIY Projects That Will Reinvent Your Bathroom in a Weekend
Cut Expenses Without Cutting Corners On Your Bathroom Remodel
- The Beauty of Barn Doors
- How to Design a Quiet Home Office
- Best Time to BBQ
- The Best Things About Gardening
- Fun In The Summer Sun: Tips To Beat The Heat
- Fashion Influences Gardening Trends For Easy, Eye-Catching Flowers
- 6 Steps to Grow a Garden Anywhere
- How to Make Your Yard an Outdoor Oasis
- An Easy Patio Makeover
- Big Ideas For Small Patios
- Creating The Perfect Outdoor Kitchen
- 5 Green Home Improvements To Help Sell Your Home For More
- Top Trends in Vegetable Gardening
- 5 Simple Projects To Recreate Your Backyard
- Outdoor Living Plumbing Possibilities
- Hardworking Kitchens with Style
- The Power of a Powder Room Addition
- Bathroom Designs That Don't Have To Cost A Bundle
- Bathroom Design Trends That Marry Luxury, Beauty And Sensibility
- High-Tech Bathroom Upgrades
- The Home Design Trend to Know About
- Why Millennials Love Gardening
- Natural Ways To Keep Roses Radiant
- Top 5 Gardening Trends
- The Best-Looking Lawn For Your Time & Money
- How To Make Summer Lawn Care Easier
- Lawn: Seed, Weed and Feed Checklist
- Small-Space Gardens: Easy Tips For Homegrown Flavors
- 3 Backyard Projects You Can Tackle
- Know What's Below: Call 811 Before Digging
- Upgrades to Boost Home Energy Efficiency
- Top 6 Home Decorating Trends
- Confused by TV Technology? Read This
- Enhance Curb Appeal With An Eye-Catching Front Door
- Shortcuts To Make Your Home Sparkle
- Yield Big Water Savings in Bathrooms
- Common Myths About Raising Poultry
Article: Copyright © 2018, Studio One.
Home & Garden: "Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy"