Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
by Allison Lind
Learn the ins and outs of paint finishes to take on your next interior decor project like a pro
Flat, eggshell, satin, gloss: When it comes to interior decor, there are a lot of confusing terms, but at least the names for paint finishes are fairly straightforward. Even the most novice painter can guess what's what.
Flat (or matte) is a smooth surface without luster. Eggshell resembles its namesake. Satin has a subtle sheen reminiscent of the popular fabric. And gloss is, well, glossy.
When shopping for paints you're faced with the inevitable question: What finish? To sheen or not to sheen? But there's so much more behind choosing a paint finish than just their names. Some finishes work better than others in high-traffic areas. Some hide imperfections that are common in older buildings. And others add extra pizazz for home decor projects.
The next time you're choosing paint finishes, use this user-friendly paint-finish guide -- with some expert input courtesy of international color expert and designer Maria Killam -- to help you find your perfect paint.
A Quick-Reference Guide to Paint Finishes
The Finish: Flat (aka Matte)
Lacking any sheen whatsoever, flat paint is light-absorbing with a smooth finish. The flat paint finish hides imperfections but also holds dirt and is difficult to clean -- rubbing it with cleanser may even damage the finish.
Living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, hallways and ceilings. "If you have walls with a lot of imperfections, flat hides them," Killam says. "And ceilings should be flat for that same reason."
Good to Know:
It's a good idea to keep extra paint on hand to touch up nicks and scratches in flat finishes.
The Finish: Eggshell (aka Low-Luster)
This low-sheen paint finish resembles the shell of an egg (so, no, the name is not a coincidence). Eggshell paint absorbs light just like its flat counterpart above. It's best used in lower-traffic areas, and is easier to clean than flat.
Living rooms, dining rooms, kitchens, bedrooms, entryways, hallways and trims. "I like walls to have a little shine, so I always specify eggshell for the main rooms in a house, hallways, living and family rooms," Killam says.
The Finish: Satin (aka Pearl, with certain paint brands)
A subtle finish with a soft sheen that reflects light. This is one of the most versatile finishes as it falls in the middle of the spectrum. It can be wiped clean with ease, making it ideal for active areas.
Kitchens, dining rooms, children's bedrooms, guest or powder baths, laundry rooms, trims, doors and shutters. "Satin is great for bathrooms and kitchens thanks to its high scrub-ability," Killam says.
The Finish: Semigloss
A step up in sheen from satin, semigloss paint finish reflects more light. It can be scrubbed to keep clean, so it's a great choice in areas with high traffic.
Kitchens, bathrooms, hallways, cabinets, doors, trims and moldings. "If you are using latex paint for trim and doors, a higher sheen will give you more durability," Killam says.
The Finish: Gloss
Gloss paint finishes come with a smooth, high-shine sheen. (Opt for high-gloss paint for the light-reflecting extreme of paint finishes.) Gloss can be scrubbed clean without concern for the finish, so it's ideal for areas that most often require washing.
Kitchens, baths, trims, woodwork, moldings, doors and cabinets. "If you opt to use a high-gloss finish to create an interesting sheen effect, such as on a ceiling or powder room," Killam says, "spray it on to prevent roller or brush marks in the final finish."
Allison Lind is a home decor and home improvement expert who has extensively written on the topics since 2004. For two years, she worked with home improvement celebrity Ty Pennington, of ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."
- Balance the Energy in Your Home
- Ways to Create Calm in Your Home
- Check Out These Smart Sensors for Your Home
- Devices that Lower Your Energy Bill
- 10-Minute Home Repairs
- Safeguard Your Home Against Burglars
- 5 Top Home Security Systems
- Do I Need a Home Security System?
- 5 Ways to Revamp Your Outdoor Space
- Pruning Tips for Trees and Shrubs
- Urban Gardening
- Plumbing Gadgets of the Future
- Energy-Efficient Roof Options for Your Home
- All Hands on Deck: How to Build a Deck
- How Often You Should Repaint Your Home
- Build Your Own Water Feature
- Spring Composting 101
- Sprucing up Your Lawn
- What are Some Alternatives to Grass?
- Green Technologies for the Home
- Are 'Green' Cleaning Products Effective?
- Window Shopping
- How to Choose the Best Carpet
- Essential Woodworking Tools
- Flooring for Your Garage
- Spring Cleaning Your Garage
- Garage Storage: All Your Stuff and a Car to Boot
- Spring Cleaning Storage Solutions
- Tuning up Power Equipment for Spring
- Say Hello to Spring
- The Perfect Pillow
- Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Build a Shed in Time for Spring
- Five Ways to Spruce Up Your Home This Season
- Spring Refresh: Tips for Organizing Small Spaces
- Outdoor Motion Lights for Home Safety and Security
- Paving Options for Driveways
- Create Your Dream Bedroom
- A Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
- Conserving Water in the Garden
- Great Fall Gardens: How to Get the Look
- 10 Steps to a Beautiful Fall Garden
- Easy Lawn Repair Tips to Get Your Yard in Shape
- How to Grow a Designer Garden for Less
- Disguise an Ugly Wood Floor With Paint
- How to Style Bookshelves Like a Pro
- Eco-Friendly Appliances: Should You Go Green?
- Window Weather Proofing
- Clever Eco-Friendly Uses for Plastic Bags
- Eco-Friendly Home: DIY Cleaning Products
- Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
- Window Treatments 101
- Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs
- How to Paint Outdoor Pots
- Go Green Indoors: Five Easy Houseplants to Grow
- Great Ways to Kill Your Houseplants
- Perennial Buying Guide
- Lighten Up: Expert Landscape Lighting Tips
- Spring Garden Preparation 101
- Tips for Air-Conditioner Upkeep
- Ways to Make Your Home Eco-Friendly in 10 Minutes or Less
- Easy Energy Savers for Your Home
- Get-Healthy Kitchen Gadgets
- Spring-inspired Home Accessories
- Affordable Bath Updates
- How to Decorate with Houseplants
- 10 Things Every Man Cave Needs
Article: Copyright © 2016, Studio One.
"Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy"