How to Paint Outdoor Pots
by Peter Walsh
Want to turn a terracotta pot into a colorful complement for your flowers? Follow these step-by-step instructions to create a charming harlequin flower pot
Potted flowers add interest and life both indoors and out, but you make them pop even more with this easy DIY paint idea.
Here's how to paint outdoor pots and add some extra charm to your flower displays.
Skill Level: Novice
Time: 24-48 hours (including primer, paint and polyurethane drying times)
Cost: Less than $50
Tools and Materials
- Norcal 10-inch terracotta flower pot
- Primer made for terracotta (or another appropriate primer, depending on the material of your pot)
- Measuring tape
- 1-inch painter's tape
- Hobby knife
- Paint brush
- Artist's brush
- Exterior paint or project paint
- Exterior water-based polyurethane (if using your pot outside)
Step No. 1
Prime the pot with a primer that is appropriate for the material of your pot.
Follow the instructions on the primer container. Once the primer has dried, create a harlequin pattern on your pot.
Draw the pattern in pencil using measuring tape, or you can purchase ready-made stencils in the paint department of your local home improvement or paint store.
Step No. 2
Tape off the lines with painter's tape.
Trim off the excess tape with a hobby knife.
Step No. 3
With a paintbrush, paint over the tape to create your diamond pattern.
Don't use too much paint, though, or it will bleed through the tape.
Step No. 4
Once the paint is dry, switch the tape to the outside of the pattern, and then fill it in with an artist's brush.
Step No. 5
Simply remove the tape, touch up any imperfections and enjoy! If you plan to set the pot outside, seal it with water-based, exterior-grade polyurethane.
Use two or three coats for extra protection.
Peter Walsh is a NYC-based writer specializing in home and garden-related topics.
- Balance the Energy in Your Home
- Ways to Create Calm in Your Home
- Check Out These Smart Sensors for Your Home
- Devices that Lower Your Energy Bill
- 10-Minute Home Repairs
- Safeguard Your Home Against Burglars
- 5 Top Home Security Systems
- Do I Need a Home Security System?
- 5 Ways to Revamp Your Outdoor Space
- Pruning Tips for Trees and Shrubs
- Urban Gardening
- Plumbing Gadgets of the Future
- Energy-Efficient Roof Options for Your Home
- All Hands on Deck: How to Build a Deck
- How Often You Should Repaint Your Home
- Build Your Own Water Feature
- Spring Composting 101
- Sprucing up Your Lawn
- What are Some Alternatives to Grass?
- Green Technologies for the Home
- Are 'Green' Cleaning Products Effective?
- Window Shopping
- How to Choose the Best Carpet
- Essential Woodworking Tools
- Flooring for Your Garage
- Spring Cleaning Your Garage
- Garage Storage: All Your Stuff and a Car to Boot
- Spring Cleaning Storage Solutions
- Tuning up Power Equipment for Spring
- Say Hello to Spring
- The Perfect Pillow
- Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Build a Shed in Time for Spring
- Five Ways to Spruce Up Your Home This Season
- Spring Refresh: Tips for Organizing Small Spaces
- Outdoor Motion Lights for Home Safety and Security
- Paving Options for Driveways
- Create Your Dream Bedroom
- A Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
- Conserving Water in the Garden
- Great Fall Gardens: How to Get the Look
- 10 Steps to a Beautiful Fall Garden
- Easy Lawn Repair Tips to Get Your Yard in Shape
- How to Grow a Designer Garden for Less
- Disguise an Ugly Wood Floor With Paint
- How to Style Bookshelves Like a Pro
- Eco-Friendly Appliances: Should You Go Green?
- Window Weather Proofing
- Clever Eco-Friendly Uses for Plastic Bags
- Eco-Friendly Home: DIY Cleaning Products
- Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
- Window Treatments 101
- Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs
- How to Paint Outdoor Pots
- Go Green Indoors: Five Easy Houseplants to Grow
- Great Ways to Kill Your Houseplants
- Perennial Buying Guide
- Lighten Up: Expert Landscape Lighting Tips
- Spring Garden Preparation 101
- Tips for Air-Conditioner Upkeep
- Ways to Make Your Home Eco-Friendly in 10 Minutes or Less
- Easy Energy Savers for Your Home
- Get-Healthy Kitchen Gadgets
- Spring-inspired Home Accessories
- Affordable Bath Updates
- How to Decorate with Houseplants
- 10 Things Every Man Cave Needs
Article: Copyright © 2016, Studio One.
"How to Paint Outdoor Pots"