How to Paint Outdoor Pots
by Peter Walsh
Want to turn a terracotta pot into a colorful complement for your flowers? Follow these step-by-step instructions to create a charming harlequin flower pot
Potted flowers add interest and life both indoors and out, but you make them pop even more with this easy DIY paint idea.
Here's how to paint outdoor pots and add some extra charm to your flower displays.
Skill Level: Novice
Time: 24-48 hours (including primer, paint and polyurethane drying times)
Cost: Less than $50
Tools and Materials
- Norcal 10-inch terracotta flower pot
- Primer made for terracotta (or another appropriate primer, depending on the material of your pot)
- Measuring tape
- 1-inch painter's tape
- Hobby knife
- Paint brush
- Artist's brush
- Exterior paint or project paint
- Exterior water-based polyurethane (if using your pot outside)
Step No. 1
Prime the pot with a primer that is appropriate for the material of your pot.
Follow the instructions on the primer container. Once the primer has dried, create a harlequin pattern on your pot.
Draw the pattern in pencil using measuring tape, or you can purchase ready-made stencils in the paint department of your local home improvement or paint store.
Step No. 2
Tape off the lines with painter's tape.
Trim off the excess tape with a hobby knife.
Step No. 3
With a paintbrush, paint over the tape to create your diamond pattern.
Don't use too much paint, though, or it will bleed through the tape.
Step No. 4
Once the paint is dry, switch the tape to the outside of the pattern, and then fill it in with an artist's brush.
Step No. 5
Simply remove the tape, touch up any imperfections and enjoy! If you plan to set the pot outside, seal it with water-based, exterior-grade polyurethane.
Use two or three coats for extra protection.
Peter Walsh is a NYC-based writer specializing in home and garden-related topics.
- Top Kitchen Design Trends in 2018
- Home Remodeling Projects Sure to Brighten Your Home
- Upping Your Laundry Room's Wow Factor
- Transform Your Kitchen with an Updated Sink
- How to Make Your Bathroom Enjoyable
- How to Infuse Life into Your Bathroom
- Budget-Friendly Master Bathroom Upgrades You'll Cherish
- 5 DIY Projects That Will Reinvent Your Bathroom in a Weekend
Cut Expenses Without Cutting Corners On Your Bathroom Remodel
- The Beauty of Barn Doors
- How to Design a Quiet Home Office
- Best Time to BBQ
- The Best Things About Gardening
- Fun In The Summer Sun: Tips To Beat The Heat
- Fashion Influences Gardening Trends For Easy, Eye-Catching Flowers
- 6 Steps to Grow a Garden Anywhere
- How to Make Your Yard an Outdoor Oasis
- An Easy Patio Makeover
- Big Ideas For Small Patios
- Creating The Perfect Outdoor Kitchen
- 5 Green Home Improvements To Help Sell Your Home For More
- Top Trends in Vegetable Gardening
- 5 Simple Projects To Recreate Your Backyard
- Outdoor Living Plumbing Possibilities
- Hardworking Kitchens with Style
- The Power of a Powder Room Addition
- Bathroom Designs That Don't Have To Cost A Bundle
- Bathroom Design Trends That Marry Luxury, Beauty And Sensibility
- High-Tech Bathroom Upgrades
- The Home Design Trend to Know About
- Why Millennials Love Gardening
- Natural Ways To Keep Roses Radiant
- Top 5 Gardening Trends
- The Best-Looking Lawn For Your Time & Money
- How To Make Summer Lawn Care Easier
- Lawn: Seed, Weed and Feed Checklist
- Small-Space Gardens: Easy Tips For Homegrown Flavors
- 3 Backyard Projects You Can Tackle
- Know What's Below: Call 811 Before Digging
- Upgrades to Boost Home Energy Efficiency
- Top 6 Home Decorating Trends
- Confused by TV Technology? Read This
- Enhance Curb Appeal With An Eye-Catching Front Door
- Shortcuts To Make Your Home Sparkle
- Yield Big Water Savings in Bathrooms
- Common Myths About Raising Poultry
Article: Copyright © 2018, Studio One.
Home & Garden: "How to Paint Outdoor Pots"