Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs
by Caroline Inge
How do you choose the perfect window treatments for your space? Try these tips to guide your selections
Layered rugs are a growing trend in the world of interior design; just browse Pinterest for a few minutes or open your most recent decor magazine and you'll quickly spot the craze.
This trend creates a collected, textural feel for a room that satisfies and surprises. But trying to achieve such a look makes for tricky work.
How do you confidently shop for the mismatched, yet coordinated, colors and furniture pieces required for this perfectly collected and curated design style?
One easy way to create that eclectic vibe is by topping a more neutral, natural-fiber rug with a pretty patterned option, which can put your living room on the fast track to that had-it-forever-but-works-perfectly combination. It's a fairly easy trend to get on board, so long as you follow some simple tips!
For beginners, start with a natural fiber jute, sisal or seagrass rug.
These make great rugs for busy spaces because they typically stand up well to high traffic. They're also basic, casual and inexpensive enough to support a more fun, patterned rug on top. For the top layer, feel free to go much smaller and in a different shape. Even consider some color for a playful pop of personality.
Take a look at these inspirational photos to get motivated and layer it on!
Photo: Andrea Schumacher
Photo: Garrison Hullinger
Photo: Kate Jackson Designs
With a passion for design and decor that can make your life more comfortable, beautiful and functional, Caroline Inge hopes to inspire readers with her DIY decor ideas.
- Balance the Energy in Your Home
- Ways to Create Calm in Your Home
- Check Out These Smart Sensors for Your Home
- Devices that Lower Your Energy Bill
- 10-Minute Home Repairs
- Safeguard Your Home Against Burglars
- 5 Top Home Security Systems
- Do I Need a Home Security System?
- 5 Ways to Revamp Your Outdoor Space
- Pruning Tips for Trees and Shrubs
- Urban Gardening
- Plumbing Gadgets of the Future
- Energy-Efficient Roof Options for Your Home
- All Hands on Deck: How to Build a Deck
- How Often You Should Repaint Your Home
- Build Your Own Water Feature
- Spring Composting 101
- Sprucing up Your Lawn
- What are Some Alternatives to Grass?
- Green Technologies for the Home
- Are 'Green' Cleaning Products Effective?
- Window Shopping
- How to Choose the Best Carpet
- Essential Woodworking Tools
- Flooring for Your Garage
- Spring Cleaning Your Garage
- Garage Storage: All Your Stuff and a Car to Boot
- Spring Cleaning Storage Solutions
- Tuning up Power Equipment for Spring
- Say Hello to Spring
- The Perfect Pillow
- Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Build a Shed in Time for Spring
- Five Ways to Spruce Up Your Home This Season
- Spring Refresh: Tips for Organizing Small Spaces
- Outdoor Motion Lights for Home Safety and Security
- Paving Options for Driveways
- Create Your Dream Bedroom
- A Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
- Conserving Water in the Garden
- Great Fall Gardens: How to Get the Look
- 10 Steps to a Beautiful Fall Garden
- Easy Lawn Repair Tips to Get Your Yard in Shape
- How to Grow a Designer Garden for Less
- Disguise an Ugly Wood Floor With Paint
- How to Style Bookshelves Like a Pro
- Eco-Friendly Appliances: Should You Go Green?
- Window Weather Proofing
- Clever Eco-Friendly Uses for Plastic Bags
- Eco-Friendly Home: DIY Cleaning Products
- Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
- Window Treatments 101
- Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs
- How to Paint Outdoor Pots
- Go Green Indoors: Five Easy Houseplants to Grow
- Great Ways to Kill Your Houseplants
- Perennial Buying Guide
- Lighten Up: Expert Landscape Lighting Tips
- Spring Garden Preparation 101
- Tips for Air-Conditioner Upkeep
- Ways to Make Your Home Eco-Friendly in 10 Minutes or Less
- Easy Energy Savers for Your Home
- Get-Healthy Kitchen Gadgets
- Spring-inspired Home Accessories
- Affordable Bath Updates
- How to Decorate with Houseplants
- 10 Things Every Man Cave Needs
Article: Copyright © 2017, Studio One.
Home & Garden: "Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs"