Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
by Allison Lind
Color weary? Consider putting a bold color to use with these decorating ideas for the color of the year
Decorating with color can be tricky, and working with bright, bold colors can feel especially daunting.
The color-powerhouse Pantone Color Institute recently named one such color -- "Tangerine Tango" -- a top color.
"Sophisticated, but at the same time dramatic and seductive, Tangerine Tango is an orange with a lot of depth to it," says Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute. "Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy."
Want to put this spirited reddish orange to use in your home?
Try these tips to create a space full of warmth and personality.
Rebekkah Davies Interiors
Add a Pop
Commitment-phobes can still enjoy tangerine with a simple addition of one eye-catching accessory, such as a lamp, throw pillow or vase.
Even the smallest pop can enliven a neutral space.
Excellent for a nursery, kids' room or even a home office, this color adds a refreshing dose of happy when applied to walls. Reluctant to paint an entire room? Go the simpler route and opt to paint just one accent wall.
Keep other colors subtle -- especially on the other walls. White is a nice, modern way to temper the tangerine, while still letting you add other colors with small accent pieces and artwork.
Create a Juicy Greeting
Set the tone for your home with an energetic entry. Whether modern, traditional or even cottage chic, any style home would be right at, well, home, with a front door doused in tangerine.
Here, the color adds warmth to what would otherwise be a cold, industrial entry.
Get to Work
If your work space is like most, it could use a shot of liveliness. So bring in some orange accents, rug and fabrics to do the job. Here, a mix of floral and graphic patterns work well together, thanks to their matching orange-and-white color palette.
To prevent the room from becoming too distracting, neutralize it with soothing gray walls that allow the bold colors to shine without overpowering.
Pacific Heights Home
Sleep With Citrus
A few bright splashes are all you need to give a space a new look. Soothing cream walls and a gray upholstered headboard create an envelope of quiet color in this master bedroom. And the pretty punches of orange give the space a wakeup call, preventing things from becoming too predictable.
Adding a sisal rug offers a neutral foundation to help keep the space calm -- just what every master bedroom needs.
Allison Lind is a home decor and home improvement expert who has extensively written on the topics since 2004. For two years, she worked with home improvement celebrity Ty Pennington, of ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."
- Fun In The Summer Sun: Tips To Beat The Heat
- Fashion Influences Gardening Trends For Easy, Eye-Catching Flowers
- 6 Steps to Grow a Garden Anywhere
- How to Make Your Yard an Outdoor Oasis
- An Easy Patio Makeover
- Big Ideas For Small Patios
- Creating The Perfect Outdoor Kitchen
- 5 Green Home Improvements To Help Sell Your Home For More
- Top Trends in Vegetable Gardening
- 5 Simple Projects To Recreate Your Backyard
- Outdoor Living Plumbing Possibilities
- Hardworking Kitchens with Style
- The Power of a Powder Room Addition
- Bathroom Designs That Don't Have To Cost A Bundle
- Bathroom Design Trends That Marry Luxury, Beauty And Sensibility
- High-Tech Bathroom Upgrades
- The Home Design Trend to Know About
- Why Millennials Love Gardening
- Natural Ways To Keep Roses Radiant
- Top 5 Gardening Trends
- The Best-Looking Lawn For Your Time & Money
- How To Make Summer Lawn Care Easier
- Lawn: Seed, Weed and Feed Checklist
- Small-Space Gardens: Easy Tips For Homegrown Flavors
- 3 Backyard Projects You Can Tackle
- Know What's Below: Call 811 Before Digging
- Upgrades to Boost Home Energy Efficiency
- Top 6 Home Decorating Trends
- Confused by TV Technology? Read This
- Enhance Curb Appeal With An Eye-Catching Front Door
- Shortcuts To Make Your Home Sparkle
- Yield Big Water Savings in Bathrooms
- Common Myths About Raising Poultry
Article: Copyright © 2017, Studio One.
Home & Garden: "Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color"