Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
by Allison Lind
Color weary? Consider putting a bold color to use with these decorating ideas for the color of the year
Decorating with color can be tricky, and working with bright, bold colors can feel especially daunting.
The color-powerhouse Pantone Color Institute recently named one such color -- "Tangerine Tango" -- a top color.
"Sophisticated, but at the same time dramatic and seductive, Tangerine Tango is an orange with a lot of depth to it," says Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute. "Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy."
Want to put this spirited reddish orange to use in your home?
Try these tips to create a space full of warmth and personality.
Rebekkah Davies Interiors
Add a Pop
Commitment-phobes can still enjoy tangerine with a simple addition of one eye-catching accessory, such as a lamp, throw pillow or vase.
Even the smallest pop can enliven a neutral space.
Excellent for a nursery, kids' room or even a home office, this color adds a refreshing dose of happy when applied to walls. Reluctant to paint an entire room? Go the simpler route and opt to paint just one accent wall.
Keep other colors subtle -- especially on the other walls. White is a nice, modern way to temper the tangerine, while still letting you add other colors with small accent pieces and artwork.
Create a Juicy Greeting
Set the tone for your home with an energetic entry. Whether modern, traditional or even cottage chic, any style home would be right at, well, home, with a front door doused in tangerine.
Here, the color adds warmth to what would otherwise be a cold, industrial entry.
Get to Work
If your work space is like most, it could use a shot of liveliness. So bring in some orange accents, rug and fabrics to do the job. Here, a mix of floral and graphic patterns work well together, thanks to their matching orange-and-white color palette.
To prevent the room from becoming too distracting, neutralize it with soothing gray walls that allow the bold colors to shine without overpowering.
Pacific Heights Home<
Sleep With Citrus
A few bright splashes are all you need to give a space a new look. Soothing cream walls and a gray upholstered headboard create an envelope of quiet color in this master bedroom. And the pretty punches of orange give the space a wakeup call, preventing things from becoming too predictable.
Adding a sisal rug offers a neutral foundation to help keep the space calm -- just what every master bedroom needs.
Allison Lind is a home decor and home improvement expert who has extensively written on the topics since 2004. For two years, she worked with home improvement celebrity Ty Pennington, of ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."
- Balance the Energy in Your Home
- Ways to Create Calm in Your Home
- Check Out These Smart Sensors for Your Home
- Devices that Lower Your Energy Bill
- 10-Minute Home Repairs
- Safeguard Your Home Against Burglars
- 5 Top Home Security Systems
- Do I Need a Home Security System?
- 5 Ways to Revamp Your Outdoor Space
- Pruning Tips for Trees and Shrubs
- Urban Gardening
- Plumbing Gadgets of the Future
- Energy-Efficient Roof Options for Your Home
- All Hands on Deck: How to Build a Deck
- How Often You Should Repaint Your Home
- Build Your Own Water Feature
- Spring Composting 101
- Sprucing up Your Lawn
- What are Some Alternatives to Grass?
- Green Technologies for the Home
- Are 'Green' Cleaning Products Effective?
- Window Shopping
- How to Choose the Best Carpet
- Essential Woodworking Tools
- Flooring for Your Garage
- Spring Cleaning Your Garage
- Garage Storage: All Your Stuff and a Car to Boot
- Spring Cleaning Storage Solutions
- Tuning up Power Equipment for Spring
- Say Hello to Spring
- The Perfect Pillow
- Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Build a Shed in Time for Spring
- Five Ways to Spruce Up Your Home This Season
- Spring Refresh: Tips for Organizing Small Spaces
- Outdoor Motion Lights for Home Safety and Security
- Paving Options for Driveways
- Create Your Dream Bedroom
- A Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
- Conserving Water in the Garden
- Great Fall Gardens: How to Get the Look
- 10 Steps to a Beautiful Fall Garden
- Easy Lawn Repair Tips to Get Your Yard in Shape
- How to Grow a Designer Garden for Less
- Disguise an Ugly Wood Floor With Paint
- How to Style Bookshelves Like a Pro
- Eco-Friendly Appliances: Should You Go Green?
- Window Weather Proofing
- Clever Eco-Friendly Uses for Plastic Bags
- Eco-Friendly Home: DIY Cleaning Products
- Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
- Window Treatments 101
- Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs
- How to Paint Outdoor Pots
- Go Green Indoors: Five Easy Houseplants to Grow
- Great Ways to Kill Your Houseplants
- Perennial Buying Guide
- Lighten Up: Expert Landscape Lighting Tips
- Spring Garden Preparation 101
- Tips for Air-Conditioner Upkeep
- Ways to Make Your Home Eco-Friendly in 10 Minutes or Less
- Easy Energy Savers for Your Home
- Get-Healthy Kitchen Gadgets
- Spring-inspired Home Accessories
- Affordable Bath Updates
- How to Decorate with Houseplants
- 10 Things Every Man Cave Needs
Article: Copyright © 2016, Studio One.
"Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color"