Window Weather Proofing
by Allison Lind
Save money and stay warm this winter by weather-proofing your home's windows
Windows contribute enormously to the beauty and personality of our homes. Yet they can also be the single largest source of energy loss.
Today's modern windows are extremely efficient when compared to those installed in homes just a decade or two ago, but even if you can't afford to replace old windows, there are things you can do to help save money on your heating and cooling bill.
Follow the steps below to eliminate drafts from the most common areas of a typical single- or double-hung window.
Skill Level: Medium
Time Required: Variable
High-quality neoprene strips
Metal tension strips
Clear silicone caulk
Cut metal or vinyl v-strips to fit in the sash channels.
Cut them long enough to extend at least one inch beyond the sash ends when the window is closed. Cut vinyl with scissors; cut metal with tin snips.
Remove the adhesive backing and stick the vinyl in place.
Tack metal strips in place, driving the tacks flush so that the window sash will not snag on them. Flare out the open ends of the metal V-channels with a putty knife to create a tight seal with the sash.
Wipe down the underside of the bottom sash with a damp rag and wait for it to dry;
Then attach self-adhesive closed-cell vinyl foam to the edges of the underside. The surface must be at least 50 degrees for self-adhesive strips to stick.
Seal the gap where the top sash meets the bottom sash.
For double-hung windows, raise the bottom sash completely to the top, and then lower the upper sash a couple of inches. This reveals the lower rail, which is normally hidden. Seal with V-channel weather stripping. If the top sash is stationary, tack tubular gasket to the outside of the lower sash so that it compresses slightly against the top sash when the window is locked shut.
Apply paintable caulk around both the interior and exterior window trim.
- Balance the Energy in Your Home
- Ways to Create Calm in Your Home
- Check Out These Smart Sensors for Your Home
- Devices that Lower Your Energy Bill
- 10-Minute Home Repairs
- Safeguard Your Home Against Burglars
- 5 Top Home Security Systems
- Do I Need a Home Security System?
- 5 Ways to Revamp Your Outdoor Space
- Pruning Tips for Trees and Shrubs
- Urban Gardening
- Plumbing Gadgets of the Future
- Energy-Efficient Roof Options for Your Home
- All Hands on Deck: How to Build a Deck
- How Often You Should Repaint Your Home
- Build Your Own Water Feature
- Spring Composting 101
- Sprucing up Your Lawn
- What are Some Alternatives to Grass?
- Green Technologies for the Home
- Are 'Green' Cleaning Products Effective?
- Window Shopping
- How to Choose the Best Carpet
- Essential Woodworking Tools
- Flooring for Your Garage
- Spring Cleaning Your Garage
- Garage Storage: All Your Stuff and a Car to Boot
- Spring Cleaning Storage Solutions
- Tuning up Power Equipment for Spring
- Say Hello to Spring
- The Perfect Pillow
- Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Build a Shed in Time for Spring
- Five Ways to Spruce Up Your Home This Season
- Spring Refresh: Tips for Organizing Small Spaces
- Outdoor Motion Lights for Home Safety and Security
- Paving Options for Driveways
- Create Your Dream Bedroom
- A Guide to Paint Finishes: From Flat to Fabulously Glossy
- Conserving Water in the Garden
- Great Fall Gardens: How to Get the Look
- 10 Steps to a Beautiful Fall Garden
- Easy Lawn Repair Tips to Get Your Yard in Shape
- How to Grow a Designer Garden for Less
- Disguise an Ugly Wood Floor With Paint
- How to Style Bookshelves Like a Pro
- Eco-Friendly Appliances: Should You Go Green?
- Window Weather Proofing
- Clever Eco-Friendly Uses for Plastic Bags
- Eco-Friendly Home: DIY Cleaning Products
- Tangerine Tango: How to Decorate With This Vibrant Color
- Window Treatments 101
- Decorating How-To: Layering Rugs
- How to Paint Outdoor Pots
- Go Green Indoors: Five Easy Houseplants to Grow
- Great Ways to Kill Your Houseplants
- Perennial Buying Guide
- Lighten Up: Expert Landscape Lighting Tips
- Spring Garden Preparation 101
- Tips for Air-Conditioner Upkeep
- Ways to Make Your Home Eco-Friendly in 10 Minutes or Less
- Easy Energy Savers for Your Home
- Get-Healthy Kitchen Gadgets
- Spring-inspired Home Accessories
- Affordable Bath Updates
- How to Decorate with Houseplants
- 10 Things Every Man Cave Needs
Article: Copyright © 2017, Studio One.
Home & Garden: "Window Weather Proofing"