Window Weather Proofing
by Allison Lind
Save money and stay warm this winter by weather-proofing your home's windows
Windows contribute enormously to the beauty and personality of our homes. Yet they can also be the single largest source of energy loss.
Today's modern windows are extremely efficient when compared to those installed in homes just a decade or two ago, but even if you can't afford to replace old windows, there are things you can do to help save money on your heating and cooling bill.
Follow the steps below to eliminate drafts from the most common areas of a typical single- or double-hung window.
Skill Level: Medium
Time Required: Variable
High-quality neoprene strips
Metal tension strips
Clear silicone caulk
Cut metal or vinyl v-strips to fit in the sash channels.
Cut them long enough to extend at least one inch beyond the sash ends when the window is closed. Cut vinyl with scissors; cut metal with tin snips.
Remove the adhesive backing and stick the vinyl in place.
Tack metal strips in place, driving the tacks flush so that the window sash will not snag on them. Flare out the open ends of the metal V-channels with a putty knife to create a tight seal with the sash.
Wipe down the underside of the bottom sash with a damp rag and wait for it to dry;
Then attach self-adhesive closed-cell vinyl foam to the edges of the underside. The surface must be at least 50 degrees for self-adhesive strips to stick.
Seal the gap where the top sash meets the bottom sash.
For double-hung windows, raise the bottom sash completely to the top, and then lower the upper sash a couple of inches. This reveals the lower rail, which is normally hidden. Seal with V-channel weather stripping. If the top sash is stationary, tack tubular gasket to the outside of the lower sash so that it compresses slightly against the top sash when the window is locked shut.
Apply paintable caulk around both the interior and exterior window trim.
- Top Kitchen Design Trends in 2018
- Home Remodeling Projects Sure to Brighten Your Home
- Upping Your Laundry Room's Wow Factor
- Transform Your Kitchen with an Updated Sink
- How to Make Your Bathroom Enjoyable
- How to Infuse Life into Your Bathroom
- Budget-Friendly Master Bathroom Upgrades You'll Cherish
- 5 DIY Projects That Will Reinvent Your Bathroom in a Weekend
Cut Expenses Without Cutting Corners On Your Bathroom Remodel
- The Beauty of Barn Doors
- How to Design a Quiet Home Office
- Best Time to BBQ
- The Best Things About Gardening
- Fun In The Summer Sun: Tips To Beat The Heat
- Fashion Influences Gardening Trends For Easy, Eye-Catching Flowers
- 6 Steps to Grow a Garden Anywhere
- How to Make Your Yard an Outdoor Oasis
- An Easy Patio Makeover
- Big Ideas For Small Patios
- Creating The Perfect Outdoor Kitchen
- 5 Green Home Improvements To Help Sell Your Home For More
- Top Trends in Vegetable Gardening
- 5 Simple Projects To Recreate Your Backyard
- Outdoor Living Plumbing Possibilities
- Hardworking Kitchens with Style
- The Power of a Powder Room Addition
- Bathroom Designs That Don't Have To Cost A Bundle
- Bathroom Design Trends That Marry Luxury, Beauty And Sensibility
- High-Tech Bathroom Upgrades
- The Home Design Trend to Know About
- Why Millennials Love Gardening
- Natural Ways To Keep Roses Radiant
- Top 5 Gardening Trends
- The Best-Looking Lawn For Your Time & Money
- How To Make Summer Lawn Care Easier
- Lawn: Seed, Weed and Feed Checklist
- Small-Space Gardens: Easy Tips For Homegrown Flavors
- 3 Backyard Projects You Can Tackle
- Know What's Below: Call 811 Before Digging
- Upgrades to Boost Home Energy Efficiency
- Top 6 Home Decorating Trends
- Confused by TV Technology? Read This
- Enhance Curb Appeal With An Eye-Catching Front Door
- Shortcuts To Make Your Home Sparkle
- Yield Big Water Savings in Bathrooms
- Common Myths About Raising Poultry
Article: Copyright © 2018, Studio One.
Home & Garden: "Window Weather Proofing"