Luxury Retailer Stocks Primed for Holidays
Luxury retailers such as
It is one way that an average investor can benefit from spending patterns of the well-to-do.
These companies aren't infallible, but recent earnings have been strong and they have loyal customers who are under less economic pressure than most people. Their high-quality brands are expanding globally with more room to grow, especially in brand-conscious
"The high-end customers are the last to pull back on spending during an economic downturn, so these stocks do OK," observed
The company has sometimes been underestimated because it used to be focused on the U.S. market. It attracts more "aspirational" customers than the very highest-priced luxury retailers because some of its products have lower prices.
"I really like the stock of Coach, which is doing well in the U.S.,
Coach, whose stock is recommended by Mandel and Asaeda, does not mark down merchandise in its retail stores, they pointed out. The largest portion of goods in its factory outlet stores is designed for that discount purpose, and items sold in department stores are a different assortment than those in Coach stores.
"All the big publicly traded luxury goods companies are very international and are seeing strong growth," said
Tiffany (TIF), recommended by Asaeda, is another
Tiffany's "little blue box" commands a premium because of the firm's long-standing reputation. It has control of its supply chain because it is such a large buyer of diamonds. Tiffany at mid-year reported it had 236 stores that included 98 in the Americas, 55 in
"For Coach and Tiffany, even if
"The strongest grower among luxury retailers is definitely
Successful reintroduction of the
Retailing at any level has its risks, but brands known worldwide for quality and exclusivity will continue to grow in large part because emerging-market consumers are on a mission to seek out the "best" in everything. Luxury retailers in turn have potential to reward their shareholders even during worrisome times.
- Large-Cap Growth Funds Most Resilient in 2011
- How to Invest in the Globe's Booming Population
- China ETFs On Sale, But Worth the Risk?
- In This Market, the Appeal of 'Go Anywhere' Funds
- How Dividend Payers Boost Returns and Reduce Risk
- Why You Should Invest in 'Global Gorillas'
- Luxury Retailer Stocks Primed for Holidays
- Why Investors Should Keep Their Eyes on the Cloud
- Are Leveraged ETFs Ever Right for Retail Investors?
- Fixed Annuities: The Missing Piece of Your Retirement Planning Puzzle?
- When Companies Buy Their Own Shares, Should You?
- How One Amateur Investor Spots Stocks Before Wall Street
- A Beginner's Guide to Understanding ETFs
- How to Ride Out Market Swings With Low-Volatility ETFs
- Why Mutual Funds Make Sense in a Volatile Market
- Why Junk Bonds Look Appealing
- Dollar Cost Averaging Smooths Out Volatility
- Where in the World to Invest in 2011
- Stocks That Are Prospering in this Volatile Market Year
- Why Europe Still Deserves a Place in Your Portfolio
- 20 Funds That Can Weather Downturns
- Ultra Short-Term Bond Investors Fighting Two Battles
- Buying Stocks at a Discount Price in Volatile Markets
- Investing in the Globe's Emerging Bright Spots
- How to Play Emerging Markets With U.S. Stocks
- What the Treasury Market Is Telling Investors
- Former Google CEO to Appear Before Senate for Anti-Trust Law Investigation
- Are ETFs to Blame for the Rise in Volatility?
- Low Interest Rates Support Higher Gold Price
- Gold ETFs Still Shine in a Diverse Portfolio
- Retirement Investors Who Make a Plan Better Equipped For Volatility
- Smoothest Mutual Funds Offer Stability in Volatile Times
- A Recovery Plan That Works
- Time for Boldness
- A President in Labor
- Government Needs to Help Job Creators and Middle Class Consumers
- Rick Perry Grabs 'Third Rail'
- Rick Perry's Plan to Help Blue States and Big Corporations
- For 2012, Sarah Palin's Time May Have Run Out
- Obama, Abroad, Is Adrift
- Disaster Relief or Corporate Greed -- Choice Should Be Easy
- Some Questions for Dick Cheney
- Back to School and Deeper in Debt
- Bin Laden's Unintended Legacy: Revealing True American Colors
- 9/11 Unity Is Just a Memory
- 9/11 and the Successful War
- Reasons to Remember 9-11
- Did 9/11 Weaken or Strengthen the United States?
- Captives to the Logic of Violence
- Why You Should Give ETFs a Try
- Target Date Funds Have Performed Better in Latest Market Downturn
- Green Technology Stocks Take Their Licks But Keep on Ticking
- Market Turbulence Forcing People to Reassess Gifting, Wills and Estates
- Why Investors Should Choose CDs Over Treasuries
- Are Gold Mining Stocks Set to Take Off?
- 6 Ways to Insulate Your Portfolio from Shocks
- 4 Things Investors Can Learn From Fairholme Fund's Struggles
- What the Latest Fed Policy Means for Your Money
- Weathering Turbulent Markets with Prudence and Patience
- How Do You Preserve Purchasing Power in a Tumultuous Economy?
- Steve Jobs Steps Down as Apple CEO
- HTC Files Another Lawsuit Against Apple
- United-Continental to Deploy 11,000 iPads to Pilots
- Warren Buffett 'Impressed' with Bank of America, Invests $5 Billion
- United-Continental to Deploy 11,000 iPads to Pilots
- General Motors to Manufacture Plug-In Cadillac Hybrid Electric Car
- Google Will Pay $500 Million to Settle Illegal Canadian Pharmacy Ads
- Google Acquires Motorola Mobility in $12.5bn Deal
- HP Unveils New Desktop, Vows Continued PC Support
- IBM Unveils Cognitive Thinking Chips
- The Case For and Against a Stockless Portfolio
- 3 Sites for Picking the Right ETFs for You
- High-Yield Bond Investing Not For the Faint of Heart
- What Standard and Poor's Ratings Downgrade Means for Investors
- Why There's a Disconnect Between Stocks and the Economy
- Investors Have Their Heads in Cloud Computing
- Bank of America Still Has Potential for Rebound
- What Happened to the Muni Bond Blowup
- 5 Factors That Drive Stock Prices
- Health Care a Sound Investment Despite Slow Economy and Reform
- Home Depot: Home Improvement Mecca Struggles to Stay Steady
- Asset Classes for Yield-Hungry Investors
- Defensive Investing Lets You Take Risk With Peace of Mind
- Unusual Stock Funds Intriguing, Still Judged on Performance
- Modern Investors Idolize Financial Hall of Famers
- 6 Risks Every Investor Faces
- The Appeal of Emerging Markets Bonds
- Do Your Investments Love You Back?
- 3M: Resilient Maker of Post-It Notes Tapes Together Solid Growth
- 6 Investing Ideas for Today's Slow-Growth Economy
- The Most Successful Companies Stay Relevant
Investing - Luxury Retailer Stocks Primed for Holidays | Successful Investing
(c) 2011 TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.