The U.N. and others have tried to convince the Syrian government to negotiate with
In the absence of such an agreement, the Palestinian Authority has made known that later this month on
Along with the assistance of Israeli civilian peacemakers, an agreement for a long-term cease-fire reportedly had been reached with the
There are two obvious motives for al-Jabari's assassination, and for the Israeli military intervention that followed, with its threat of a massive ground assault.
The first, as Israeli commentators generally agree, is domestic politics, to strengthen Netanyahu in
The second motive has been to undermine or cause the postponement or abandonment of the Palestine Authority's plan to appeal to the
This presents a problem to which the Netanyahu government has yet to find a solution. Hence its present policy is indefinitely to fend off the need for a decision, even by such desperate measures as another invasion of
The existing Arab population, as Netanyahu made plain at
The only real solution would be for the Israeli electorate to come to its senses and elect a new government willing to reach a civilized agreement with the Palestinians for the two peoples to live together in peace. But a civilized agreement would require civilized leaders, and there are none in sight.
- Egypt: The Roundabout Road Back To Tahrir
- Healthcare System Crumbling in Syria as War Rages
- Syria: Al Assad's Last Stand
- Every Day Brings New Drama in the Middle East
- Egypt and the Strategic Balance
- Gaza Clash Reveals Morsi's True Colors
- Syria: Is the World Waiting for Genocide?
- T-ball War in the Middle East
- To The Brink Again for Israel and Gaza
- What Exacly Would Israel Like to Do with Its Palestinian Population?
- 'Pharaoh' Morsi
- Egypt's 'Moderate' Despot
- Cease-Fire and the New Regional Dynamic
- Gaza Conflict Reverberates in the West Bank and Jordan
- Groundhog Day: Middle East Version
- Israel and Gaza: Then and Now
- Egypt, Gaza and the Sinai Peninsula
- Iran's Agenda in the Gaza Offensive
- The Impact of Syrian Refugees on Turkey and Jordan
- Divine Right Won't Save the Arab Kings
- Fast Food on the Frontline
- Israel's Netanyahu Continues to Burn Bridges
- Lighting Iran's Nuclear Fuse
- 'Responsibility to Protect' After Libya
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.