Whether you're a resident or a visitor, nothing can bring back memories of a place the way music can. With this in mind, the members and editors of travel website VirtualTourist.com have compiled this list of great songs about places. Some have become inadvertent anthems while others actually paint quite a dismal picture. Regardless they've become inextricably linked to their respective places.
1. "AUTUMN IN NEW YORK,"
Almost nothing can ignite the sentimental side of hardened New Yorkers like this tribute to the city and while there have been countless recordings it is arguably
Groovy, bittersweet, and made for driving the open highway, this song may not necessarily be about
3. "LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER," THE STANDELLS
In spite of being somewhat dark in theme (some of the lyrics revolve around a mugging experienced by the band's producer), this is a song that Bostonians consider an anthem. In fact, it was actually chosen as the official victory anthem at
4. "MARRAKESH EXPRESS," CROSBY, STILLS AND NASH
If ever there were a song that made you want to get out there and see exotic lands, this is it! Although melodically laid back and mellow, lyrically this song perfectly describes the chaos of this famous ride from
For Francophiles no song could say it better. A love song to the City of Light if ever there was one, the simple lyrics reflect the deep affection admirers feel toward the world's most glorious and romantic town.
6. "TAKE ME HOME, COUNTRY ROADS,"
The ultimate '70s classic, this song is the official anthem of
7. "GOOD MORNING BALTIMORE," "HAIRSPRAY"
A tribute to "Hairspray" creator
8. "IT HAPPENED IN SUN VALLEY,"
If this charming and uber-nostalgic song doesn't make you want to visit
Although it may not create the rosiest picture of this exceptionally beautiful city, it's still a favorite among those who live and travel there. While purists may argue that Brel's version is definitive, there are those who say that Bowie's version is better.
10. "A FOGGY DAY (IN LONDON TOWN)"
Performed by everyone from
- A Half-Century On, Their Music Still Captures Youth
- Ten Great Songs About Places
- Barbra Streisand Returns with 'What Matters Most'
- Pitbull Earns First-Ever Top single with 'Give Me Everything'
- 'The Book Of Mormom' Skyrockets On Billboard 200 Albums Chart
- Get an Awesome Soundtrack to Your Summer
- When Pop Stars Become Pop Psychologists
- Aretha, Gaga and Barbra: Grammy Night, 2011!
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Few Penalties For Stars Behaving Badly
- Boy, Do We Like to Watch
- Frankly Speaking: A Great Frank Sinatra Biography
- Lady Gaga: Pop Sensation Transforms Music Video Culture
- Chatting It up With the Jonas Brothers
- Hot New Music for Your Playlist
- Will Lady Gaga Really Take Madonna's Crown?
- Music - Where the Best Unknown Bands Are Hiding
- Pink Flies High at the Grammys
- Barbra Streisand, Still Pitch-Perfect After All These Years
- Mariah Carey - This 'Imperfect Angel' Knows What Love Is
- 80s Acts Touring Again: Demand High for Forgotten Decade Music
Available at Amazon.com:
Copyright © 2011 VirtualTourist.com, Distributed by Tribune Media Services Inc.