The Most Popular Song The Year You Were Born
by Natalie Morin
Thanks to PrettyFamous, a Graphiq site, here are the most popular songs for every year since 1940.
Music can be a wonderful pick-me-up on a gloomy day, good company on a road trip or a mental escape.
It also has helped define years and events: changing and evolving with the times. The springy vibe of doo-wop brings up images of the poodle skirts and jukeboxes of 1950s America, while The Bee Gees and powerful vocals of Donna Summer are quintessential emblems of the ’70s.
With this in mind, PrettyFamous, a Graphiq site, found the most popular song of every year since 1940. They measured popularity by choosing the song that was Billboard’s top single for the most consecutive weeks of each year.
Note: If there was a tie a certain year, PrettyFamous recognized the song that was No. 1 closest to the middle of the year (June 30), as it may have had more lasting power throughout the entirety of the year.
Scroll through the slideshows below to discover the most popular songs of each decade:
- The Most-Streamed Songs on Spotify
- How Hip Hop And Rap Saved Music
- Technology Drives Music Consumption
- Music Streaming's Unstoppable Rise
- New Posthumous Prince Albums Include Unreleased Music
- Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize
- The Most Popular Albums Released in 2016
- The Most Popular Album of Every Year Since 1956
- Iconic Musicians Over 70
- The Most Famous Band Formed Each Year Since 1951
- The Most Famous Musician From Each State
- The Top 10 Upbeat Songs
- The Most Popular Song The Year You Were Born
- Famous Musicians Born the Same Year as You
- The Music of Hopelessness
- Jay Z: When Women Attack Men -- a Double Standard
- Lady Gaga Talks About Regrets and Depression
- The Beatles: Change Across the Universe
- The Beatles 50 Years Later
- Daft Punk, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Win Multiple Grammy Awards
- Jay Z & Beyonce in Sizzling Grammy Opening Number
- A Look Back at The Beatles
- Fans Mark 50 Years of US Beatlemania
Music: "The Most Popular Song The Year You Were Born"