Shoulder Injury Shelves Southern Cal Quarterback Matt Barkley
Los Angeles, CA
A shoulder injury will prevent USC quarterback Matt Barkley from playing in the Trojans' final regular season game against No. 1 Notre Dame Saturday at the Coliseum.
Barkley suffered the injury late in the game against UCLA after a sack by linebacker Anthony Barr. He left the Rose Bowl with his arm in a sling and USC did not disclose the nature of the injury.
"I feel bad for him and his family," Trojans coach Lane Kiffin said. "This is obviously not how you want it to be."
Barkley will be replaced in the starting lineup by freshman Max Wittek, who has played in six games this season, mostly in garbage time. He has completed 8-of-9 passes for 95 yards and a touchdown.
Luckily, there's nothing at stake for the Trojans as they are already out of the hunt for the Pac-12's South Division title after losing to rival UCLA.
However, the game is crucial for the Fighting Irish, who are ranked No. 1 for the first time since 1993 and a win away from playing for their first national championship since 1988.
The injury ends Barkley's season season on a low note, despite passing for 3,273 yards and 36 touchdowns with a career-worst 15 interceptions.
- Notre Dame Survives USC, Secures Spot in BCS Championship Game
- Riddick, Brindza Lift No. 1 Notre Dame Into BCS Title Game
- Aaron Murray Throws Two TDs; Georgia Rips Rival Georgia Tech
- College Football Coaching Trio Dumped After Disappointing Seasons
- BCS Championship on the Line for Notre Dame
- Marion Grice Runs for Three TDs, Arizona State Tops Arizona
- LSU's SEC Championship Bid Alive After Win over Arkansas
- Burkhead Carries Nebraska over Iowa, Into Big Ten Title Game
- Morehead State Suspends Coach Sean Woods for One Game
- Jack Taylor Nets Record 138 Points in Division III Hoops
- NCAA Investigating Auburn Football on Recruitment
- ESPN to Broadcast College Football Playoff Games Starting 2014
- Rutgers Leaves Big East to Join Big Ten
- Georgia Savors Chance for BCS Football Title
- Shoulder Injury Shelves Southern Cal Quarterback Matt Barkley
- Minnesota Coach Kill Shrugs Off Wideout's Abuse Accusations
- Tennessee Terminates Coach Dooley After Loss to Vandy
- Martin and Florence Star as Baylor Upsets Number 1 Kansas State
- Notre Dame Beats Wake Forest 38-0
- Gillislee and Sturgis Lead Florida over Jacksonville State
- Wes Cobb Runs for Two TDs, Air Force Shuts Down Hawaii
- NCAA Extends Tennessee Football Probation Two More Years
- ACC and Orange Bowl Reach 12-Year Agreement Starting 2015
- ESPN Inks Deal to Air Sugar Bowl Through 2026
- Big East Football to Use 2-Division Format
- Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly Picks Irish as No. 1
- Manziel Passes for Two Scores, Texas A&M Stuns Alabama
- BCS Commissioners Likely to Push for Six-Bowl Format
- Mariota Throws Six TD Passes as Oregon Crushes California
- Florida Edges Louisiana-Lafayette with Jenkins Heroics
- Shaw Throws Two Scoring Strikes As South Carolina Rips Arkansas
- Nassib Shines as Syracuse Deals Louisville Its First Loss
- TCU coach Gary Patterson Trains Sights on Kansas State
- Kentucky to Replace Football Coach Joker Phillips at Season's End
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved