From Manhattan to Washington, Indians Get Snookered
By Leonard Pitts Jr.
That, supposedly, was the price Gov.
In the first place, whatever Minuit paid was in goods valued at 60 17th-century Dutch guilders; the calculation that this equaled
But whatever the details of the transaction, the moral of the story has remained beacon clear for four centuries: The Indians got taken. It was hardly the last time they would be snookered in their dealings with the newcomers from across the water.
So it is gratifying to watch the response of at least some Native Americans as the professional football team which plays for the city of
The Oneida Indian Nation has been pushing the Slurs to change their name. A number of sports reporters and media outlets have vowed to refrain from using the ugly word and even conservative columnist
Last month, he tried money.
Apparently having just discovered the appalling conditions -- high rates of poverty, sickness, suicide -- in which too many American Indians live, Snyder created something called the
The response from at least two American Indian groups has been unambiguous: Thanks, but no thanks.
Perhaps Snyder's refusal is rooted in pure sentiment -- as a child, he was a Slurs fan -- perhaps in business concerns, perhaps in both. Either way he misses the point by a wide margin if he truly believes his glorified publicity stunt will fix -- or even address -- the problem. It won't. It can't.
Native Americans were not just cheated. They were removed and they were killed down to a tattered remnant shoved off to the margins of American life. So what Snyder seeks to buy is not just the right to use an execrable name in peace but also the self-respect of a people already long brutalized. And while scholarships are important, it is also important to be able to look at oneself in a mirror.
Nearly 400 years ago, Peter Minuit took
Receive our NFL News & Analysis by email by subscribing here
- Lovie Smith and Bucs to Surprise in 2014
- CBS Announcers Can Choose to Stop Saying 'Redskins'
- Top 5 NFL Teams Before Training Camp
- Expectations for Teddy Bridgewater
- New York Giants Institute Fine on Overweight Players
- NFL Kickers Bulk Up for Boot Camp
- Does Patent Ruling Mean An End To The Redskins Name?
- 77 Years of Redskins Branding
- All the Details About Colin Kaepernick's Monster $126 Million Extension
- Dan Marino Sues, Then Exits, NFL Concussion Suit
- Can 49ers Actually Afford Colin Kaepernick?
- Dallas Cowboys Target Brian Urlacher
- Does Los Angeles Deserve a NFL Team?
- Tebow Training For NFL
- Super Bowl Ring Evolution
- Now It's Your Turn, Redskins Owner
- 2014 NFL Draft: Boomer: 'Coach J.J. Watt Will Get Clowney Into Shape'
- 2014 NFL Draft: Winners and Losers from the First Round
- 2014 NFL Draft: Quarterbacks Rule in Round 1
- 2014 NFL Draft: Bortles Surprised and Ecstatic to Go to Jags
- 2014 NFL Draft: Manziel Will Be the Star Cleveland Needs
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 1 - Houston Texans Select DE Jadeveon Clowney
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 2 - St. Louis Rams Select OT Greg Robinson
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 3 - Jacksonville Jaguars Select QB Blake Bortles
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 4 - Buffalo Bills Select WR Sammy Watkins
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 5 - Oakland Raiders Select LB Khalil Mack
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 6 - Atlanta Falcons Select OT Jake Matthews
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 7 - Buccaneers Select WR Mike Evans
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 8 - Cleveland Browns Select CB Justin Gilbert
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 9 - Minnesota Vikings Select LB Anthony Barr
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 10 - Detroit Lions Select TE Eric Ebron
- 2014 NFL Draft: Does Johnny Manziel Solve The Browns' QB Questions?
- NFL 2014 Draft Round-by-Round Recap
- NFL 2014 Draft Team-by-Team Recap
- 2014 NFL Draft Notes
- From Manhattan to Washington, Indians Get Snookered
- Eagles Owe DeSean Jackson, Fans an Explanation
- Daniel Snyder Missing the Point in Redskins Name Debate?
- Redskins Sign ex-Eagles Wideout DeSean Jackson
- Donald Trump: 'I was approached by group interested in Bills'
- Mark Sanchez Eager to Start for Eagles
- Eagles Release DeSean Jackson
- Bears Sign ex-Vikings Defensive End Jared Allen
- Longtime Bills Owner Ralph Wilson Dead at 95
- Mavs Owner Mark Cuban Continues Rant Against NFL
- Michael Vick Hopeful of Landing Starting Role with Jets
- Raiders to Trade Late-Round Pick for QB Matt Schaub
- Devin Hester Joins Falcons on 3-year Deal
- Jerricho Cotchery Chooses Panthers over Steelers
- Bo Jackson to Russell Wilson: 'Stick to Football'
- Michael Vick to Meet with Jets
- Giants Bring Back Mario Manningham
- Ex-Browns QB Brandon Weeden signs with Cowboys
- Broncos Sign Emmanuel Sanders to Three-Year Pact
- Packers Sign Julius Peppers to Three-Year Deal
- Hall Says Tirade with Sherman Won't End in Brawl
- Jonathan Martin Hopes for New Start with 49ers
- NFL Should Allow Use of Medical Marijuana
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Nielsen Reports Record 111.5 Million TV Viewers
- Super Bowl XLVIII: The Seahawks and The Fairy Tale
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Carroll Says Seahawks Won't Suffer Fall Off
- Super Bowl XLVIII: 700,000 Fans Ignore Cold, Hail Seahawks Champs
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Baldwin Offers Post-Game Rant for ESPN Critic
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seahawks Saw the Beatdown Coming
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seahawks Might be New Yankees
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seahawks Crush Broncos for First Super Bowl Title
- Seahawks Win Super Bowl XLVIII
- Walter Jones Leads 2014 Hall of Fame Class
- NFL 2014 Draft Predictions
- Which Team Should Draft Johnny Manziel?
- Who Should Houston Texans Draft as Their #1 Pick?
- Boomer Esiason: 'What Teddy Bridgwater and I Might Have in Common'
- New App Allows Fans to Order NFL Cheerleaders to Their Seats During Game
- Kurt Warner: Manziel Is Good, But 'I Wouldn't Pass On' Jadaveon Clowney
- Michael Vick Says Geno Smith Gets to Wear No. 7 With Jets
- Rex Ryan Reveals Fate of Mark Sanchez Tattoo
- Brett Favre No Longer Taking Photos With Fans
- DeSean Jackson to Visit with Washington Redskins
- Peyton Manning Didn't Want to Get Paid More Than Tom Brady
- Rex Ryan Says Eric Decker Is Too Good-Looking for the Jets
- NFL to Penalize Players for Goalpost Dunks
- What to Expect Out of the NFL Owner's Meetings
- Richie Incognito Tries to Reconcile With Jonathan Martin
- Bo Jackson's Advice for Two-Sport Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- NFL Wants M.I.A. To Pay $16.6 Million for Middle Finger Incident
- Drew Bledsoe On Gay Players In NFL: 'There Have Been A Few'
- Richie Incognito Wants to Return to the Dolphins
- Jerry Kramer and Jennifer Smith on the Origin and Progress of Gridiron Greats
- Chad Johnson Joining Canadian Football League
- Did NFL Force the Jonathan Martin Trade?
- Broncos' Emmanuel Sanders Deal Surrounded By Controversy
- New York Jets Find Their No. 1 Wide Receiver
- Boomer: My NFL Free Agency Winners and Losers
- Richard Sherman Says Banning the N-Word Is 'Almost Racist'
- Understanding the Racial Slur Rule Change
Article: Copyright © 2014
"From Manhattan to Washington, Indians Get Snookered"