Tebow, Broncos Stun Steelers in Overtime
NFL 2011 Playoffs
Demaryius Thomas' 80-yard game-winning TD
Tim Tebow threw 10-for-21 for 316 yards and two touchdowns, including an 80-yard strike to Demaryius Thomas in overtime, and the Denver Broncos pulled off a 29-23 shocker against the Pittsburgh Steelers in their Sunday's AFC wild card showdown at Sports Authority Field.
After faltering in the last three games of the regular-season, Tebow recaptured his late-game touch as he hooked up with Thomas for the game-winning TD in the first play of overtime period.
The Broncos surprised the Steelers defense with a suddenly explosive offense on their way to building a 20-6 halftime lead.
The Steelers stepped their game up and began to play like a championship team in the second half.
Steelers running back Mike Wallace scored on a 1-yard run to make it a 20-13 game at the end of the third quarter.
Kicker Matt Prater scored again on his third field-goal attempt to give the Broncos a 23-13 cushion in the start of the fourth quarter, but the Steelers willed themselves into the game.
Kicker Shaun Suisham converted a 37-yard field goal and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hooked up with wideout Jerricho Cotchery for a 31-yard TD pass that tied the score at 23-23 and eventually forced the game into overtime.
Roethlisberger went 22-for-40 for 289 yards with one TD and an interception, while running back Isaac Redman rushed for 121 yards on 17 carries.
The victory gave Broncos a flight to Foxborough to face Tom Brady and top-seeded New England Patriots in divisional playoff matchup Sunday.
On the other hand, the Steelers failed to break a tie with the Dallas Cowboys (33 wins) for the most playoff victory in the history of the NFL.
Tebow, Broncos Stun Steelers in OT
- Final Eight Take Center Stage In Divisional Playoffs
- Wild Card Weekend: A Look Back
- Tebow, Broncos Stun Steelers in Overtime
- Giants Too Much for Falcons, Move On to Face Packers
- Foster's Two TDs Power Texans Past Bengals
- Drew Brees, Saints Tame Lions
- Raiders Dismiss Head Coach Hue Jackson
- LaDainian Tomlinson 'Contemplating' Retirement
- Robert Griffin III Headed to NFL
- Colts Set Sights on Andrew Luck as No. 1 in NFL Draft
- Star Running Back LaMichael James Leaving Oregon for NFL
- Oklahoma's Landry Jones, Wisconsin's Ball Return For Senior Campaigns
- Browns Seek Playmaker at Number 4
- Cleveland Browns Need Plenty of Help in Rugged AFC North
- Chiefs Plan to Keep Romeo Crennel as Head Coach
- Parcells Heads Up Potential NFL Hall of Fame List
- Playoff Records, Facts, Figures and Milestones
- Regular Season Records and Milestones
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: What to Look For
- Record-Breaking Regular Season Had It All
- Super Bowl Ads Sold Out
- NFL Football Firings
- Chicago Bears Dismiss GM After Poor Finish
- Manning, Cruz Pass Giants Over Cowboys into Playoffs
- In Like Flynn: Backup QB Powers Packers Past Lions
- Vick Leads Eagles Past Redskins For Fourth Straight Victory
- Colt McCoy says he wants to stay with Browns
- Giants Defensive End Osi Umenyiora Returns to Practice
- Patriots, 49ers Rack Up Most Pro Bowlers
- AFC Pro Bowl Rosters
- 2012 NFC Pro Bowl Rosters
- All on the Line in Final Week of Regular Season
- 2011 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 17
- Packers Take Over for Cowboys as America's Team
- Blue Christmas: Brandon Jacobs Lays into Jets after Giants Win
- Victor Cruz, Ahmad Bradshaw Lead Way as Giants Take Down Jets
- Brees Sets NFL Passing Record as Saints Rip Falcons
- Packers Wrap Up Top Seed in NFC
- Chargers Quarterback Not Happy Team will Miss NFL Playoffs Again
Copyright 2012, AHN - All Rights Reserved