Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
The Philadelphia Eagles have met with Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly, one day after the Fighting Irish were crushed by Alabama in the BCS Championship Game.
According to a person informed of the meeting, Kelly met with the Eagles about their vacant head-coaching job after the Fighting Irish lost to the Crimson Tide, 42-14.
Kelly is currently out of the country and will speak with the Eagles when he returns, the source added.
Kelly helped Notre Dame return to national prominence by leading them to 12 wins this season but lost to Alabama in the championship game. In his three seasons, Kelly has a 28-11 record with the Fighting Irish.
Before the BCS title game, Kelly expressed interest coaching in the NFL, saying he will be flattered by potential interest from teams.
"They have to contact my representation and then they've got to follow through that," Kelly said.
The Eagles earlier pursued Oregon's Chip Kelly and Penn State's Bill O'Brien but the two decided to stay with their respective programs. Philadelphia was also interested in Syracuse's Doug Marrone but they were beaten to the punch by the Buffalo Bills.
"I think the NFL right now tends to borrow more from college than the other way around," Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said. "But I think it's more about leadership. Some of these coaches in college are outstanding leaders."
"There's no question, and I'm not the only one who thinks that college coaches are well-trained and have experienced tremendous pressure, and can handle it. And they're smart," Lurie added.
- Tom Brady Says Patriots Can Adjust Minus Injured Tight End Rob Gronkowski
- Ravens Linebacker Ayanbadejo Sparks 'Word War' with Patriots
- Tom Brady and Shane Vereen Lead Patriots Back to AFC Title Game
- Matt Bryant Field Goal Lifts Falcons Over Seahawks into NFC Title Game
- Colin Kaepernick Leads 49ers Past Packers into NFC Title Game
- 'Flacco Fling' Helps Ravens Stun Broncos
- Nate Silver Picks Seahawks vs Patriots for Super Bowl XLVII
- Ex-Jets Assistant Mike Westhoff Says Tim Tebow Situation a 'Mess'
- Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ex-Panthers Assistant Rob Chudzinski Gets Browns Coaching Job
- Seahawks Rookie Defensive End Bruce Irvin Gets Start vs Falcons
- Mike Mularkey Out as Jaguars Coach
- Cowboys Hire Defensive Coordinator
- Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
- Mike Pettine Hired as Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- Chargers Name Tom Telesco New General Manager
- Ex-Falcons Personnel Director David Caldwell Named Jaguars GM
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Packers at 49ers
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Seahawks at Falcons
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Ravens at Broncos
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Texans at Patriots
- Cowboys Dismiss Rob Ryan as Defensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano Out as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Robert Griffin III Suffered Partial Tear of Two Ligaments in Right Knee
- Seahawks Blast Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Boldin and Flacco Carry Ravens Past Colts in AFC Wild-Card Game
- Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Aaron Rodgers Powers Packers Past Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Arian Foster Lifts Texans to AFC Wild-Card Win Over Bengals
- Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
- Panthers Retain Ron Rivera as Head Coach
- Chiefs Reach Agreement with Andy Reid as Next Head Coach
- LSU Safety Eric Reid To Forego Senior Year, Enter NFL Draft
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
- NFL 'Super Season' Kicks Off
- Best NFL Playoff Performances
- What to Look For: Wild Card Weekend
- Chiefs Expected to Hire Andy Reid as Head Coach
- Kansas City Chiefs Hold First Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL 2012 Regular Season in Review
- 2012 NFL Records and Milestones
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Retire After 17 Years
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved